Thread: Elvis Hawaii 1968 Getting into Shape???

Cadillac King

Elvis Hawaii 1968 Getting into Shape???

Clearly Elvis looked great for his June Comeback Special. I know he went to Hawaii and got a tan and clearly lost lots of weight. Given the summer is coming and I am kinda hoping to do the same thing, does anybody know what Elvis did or if he followed any general programme at all? I have read Elvis was more of a dieter than exerciser? Does anybody knowmuch about this?
    Many Thanks
    TCB
    1969 july 31st, will we ever see anything?? sob sob!

Re: Elvis Hawaii 1968 Getting into Shape???

Hawaii '68? Lost weight? Got a tan?

Uh, I think you mean 1973. His weight was going up before Aloha so he lost a lot of weight. He got a tan then, also (one that was slightly over the top if I'm allowed to say that LOL).

Before his '68 Comeback special he was still skinny.

As for you, I don't know if health questions should be answered, many forums have a bit of a rule against them. But at the risk of getting into trouble, reduce your calories *and* exercise enough to create a reasonable calorie deficit. If you reduce your current calorie intake by 500 calories, then you will lose a pound of fat in 7 days. If you then burn more off with exercise then your deficit and weight loss will be greater. Add it up. Don't do what I did. I lost heaps too rapidly and am now stuck with lots of loose skin that I cannot get rid of without surgery.

So don't count on a perfect body by this Summer at all. I'm sorry, but I know the reality of it all too well to let you fall victim to any weight loss lies. Please take care with this ... my weight loss did not liberate me at all. In fact it's put me in a very large trap that I will probably never get out of until I am swimming in cash.
    Last edited by JohnCrow; 03-03-2011 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hgs262626 View Post
    Clearly Elvis looked great for his June Comeback Special. I know he went to Hawaii and got a tan and clearly lost lots of weight. Given the summer is coming and I am kinda hoping to do the same thing, does anybody know what Elvis did or if he followed any general programme at all? I have read Elvis was more of a dieter than exerciser? Does anybody knowmuch about this?
    Many Thanks
    TCB
    I don’t know if he went to Hawaii before the ‘68 Special but I know he went on a strict diet and sunbathed a lot! From what we’ve read though, Elvis liked results…now and didn’t do things healthily, so used diet pills and went on ‘starvation’ diets. From personal experience, the only way of losing weight is to change your way of eating. Yes if you diet you will lose weight but when you come “off” the diet you will put it all back on (sometimes more).
    Boring, I know but the only way is the slow way!
    As for tanning - fake it! Otherwise you'll end up wrinkly!!!!!!! Plus its quicker (though not necessarily cheaper!)

We have to remember the era in which Elvis lived involved crash-dieting and taking diet pills. It is so much easier nowadays to eat healthy then before, it's not even funny, but back then you basically starved yourself, ate salads, but then your energy would be low, thus the diet pills, diet pills prescribed by most doctors who's patients experienced a weight problem.

Trust me, you still get people starving themselves today. And there are probably a lot more diet pills on the market also.
    I saw a programme a while ago studying what we eat today compared to the 1940's and people were so much healthier back then. No snacking between meals, not so much access to 'junk' food. Mostly though, keeping a healthy weight is just common sense.

he was chubby in clambake...

Quote Originally Posted by May View Post
    Trust me, you still get people starving themselves today. And there are probably a lot more diet pills on the market also.
    I saw a programme a while ago studying what we eat today compared to the 1940's and people were so much healthier back then. No snacking between meals, not so much access to 'junk' food. Mostly though, keeping a healthy weight is just common sense.
    I completely agree with you on this The world today is much more instant, and people basically don't have enough time to prepare their food and they find their solution in eating junk food. I don't believe in diet pills, people just need to change their style of life, their so called culture of eating and eat healthier in order to really lose weight...and do a lot of physical exercises, of course.

International Level Tigerman1975's Avatar

I'm not going to touch this one....
    I'm the king of the jungle, they call me Tiger Man. If you cross my path, you take your own life in your hands.

Why not???

Maybe practising karate. I know Martial arts recquire a lot of mental and physical training.
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy

I know for the 69 Vegas engagement, he not only practiced karate, vehemently, he did so with weights on his wrist and ankles!

Roustabouts

elvis did go to hawaii before the comeback special to get a tan, as he wanted to look good, although he didn't like the sun, this is what he did. this info is on the 'Elvis by the Presley's' DVD

Quote Originally Posted by May View Post
    Why not???
    I have my own theory about how he got lean repeatedly and its not a very popular discussion topic on here. So I'd rather not.
    I'm the king of the jungle, they call me Tiger Man. If you cross my path, you take your own life in your hands.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

Dare I say it....... Drugs to help slimming, barbiturates cause loss of appetite short term.

Well yeah, Jumpsuit, that was my theory. Amphetamines(which were a known favorite of Elvis) seriously cut appetite. I am preparing for Apocalypto style ritual sacrifice lol.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

I think many fans are now well aware of Elvis' predilections towards prescribed medication. To be perfectly honest I have no issue with people talking about Elvis' drug problems providing they are respectful. The 60's & 70's are renowned for the overuse of prescribed drugs.. A pill for every ailment, unfortunately it took several generations to wean the general population off these things and manage illness in a more effective way.

You only have to type in slimming pills on google to see a plethora of solutions aimed at the vulnerable.

looking at the stars of today you see that doctors can be bought off and the same drugs of choice from the 70's are available today. Michael Jackson, Charlie Sheen & Britney Spears all spring to mind. How long before Justin Bieber feels the need to self medicate to get through the day? Today's stars now feel the pressure that Elvis felt over 40 years ago and they turn to the same misguided solutions to stay thin & feel happy.

Touche' Jumpsuit. Very well said.