Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What would Elvis think?

TCB Mafia

Re: What would Elvis think?

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    The bottom line is that it ultimately happened because she wanted it to.
    If she hadn't wanted it to it wouldn't have happened.

Get that through yours.
    No, that's not true

Lots of other things could've happened like all executors could've sold it and then the buyer probably would've realized it's potential as a museum and opened for the $$$$$$$.

I understand you like Priscilla but it's best to realize she was just a pretty face.
    get that through yours.

TCB Mafia

Could anyone imagine what would've happened with estate if Priscilla was the only one in charge.
    No other executors, Jack Soden, The probate judge etc.

Let's play nice.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Could anyone imagine what would've happened with estate if Priscilla was the only one in charge.
    No other executors, Jack Soden, The probate judge etc.
    But that's an arbitrary consideration, since no executor or co-executor of such an undertaking would sensibly approach these matters single-handedly.
    Especially one who represents the deceased's familial interests

As usual, Cilla's detractors are content to overlook the bleeding obvious.
    'Taking Care of Beaulieu'.

I think Priscilla did what needed to be done to make sure Lisa had an estate to inherit

Elvis probably didn't plan to outlive his father, so he didn't think into the future of what Vernon outliving him meant.

But Priscilla taking over after Vernon made sense - she had Lisa's best interests at heart.

People forget that Priscilla started out an Elvis fan too.

Sometimes I think that if she hadn't opened Graceland, and let Memphis buy it - Elvis's legacy wouldn't have survived the horror of the 80's

when all the scandals about drugs and sex stuff - all the losers claiming to be love children - all that nonsense could easily have sunk Elvis with him not being around to fight against it.

Lesser artists disappear for far less scandals

TCB Mafia

But that's an arbitrary consideration, since no executor or co-executor of such an undertaking would sensibly approach these matters single-handedly.
    Especially one who represents the deceased's familial interests

As usual, Cilla's detractors are content to overlook the bleeding obvious.
    It's not really it just points out that Priscilla couldn't do it by herself.
    If she were the only executor which i'm sure is what she wanted.

Priscilla's undertaken other business ventures by herself and it hasn't turned out well.

The success of Graceland cames down to the loyal fans though not the executors.
    other homes of famous people have been turned into museums and they don't do as well.

I bet if James Brown's home gets turned into museum their won't much interest.

I think that as long as they keep the upstairs off limits he would probably not be too opposed. I think she is doing right about keeping that private cause that was were it was most private to him.

Wow! Good thread going. I think Elvis was proud of his home and would want his fans to see it. I didn't realize the background of Jack Soden and his partner and I'm glad Jack Soden won out. If his partner had survived some things might have been very different. By the way Priscilla is getting paid a yearly salary to be the family rep. Her pay check is pretty hefty. Not sure the exact figure. I hope Lisa Marie and her kids keep in touch with the estate and don't walk away from it. I know they don't own the Elvis image anymore but it is their family.

I don't know what happened but part of my message disappeared, i guess when i spell checked it i didn't past it all back in.

So the rest of my thoughts on this topic are.

That in the end because his upstairs area is closed to the public i think Elvis would have seen Graceland opening as a way of providing an income for his child. And that after he was gone Graceland could then become a place where his fans could still connect with him.

I think he would have been both proud and amazed at how many people have visited there.

I also think he would have been very pleased that Priscilla stepped up and protected the way his image can be used.
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: What would Elvis think?

There are always going to be Priscilla detractors, always!

However the deal took place Graceland has become a national and international treasure. The initial opening had to be fraught with all sorts of misgivings both by the executor and Cilla, it could easily have gone sideways, they only had a finite amount of money to get the venture up and running and if there had been a poor response it could have closed and been gone forever.

I have more of an issue with what Cilla has done to Graceland over the prevailing years! Artefacts have been sold off at whim, decoration has taken place etc, my bet is that if Elvis walked into Graceland today he would struggle to recognise it as home

To to answer the question, I believe that Elvis would be happy that the estate is making revenue for his extended family. He would be happy that the fans see his achievements and are still very much interested in his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    It's not really it just points out that Priscilla couldn't do it by herself.
    NOBODY would do it by themselves! This is a completely ridiculous point!

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    ... my bet is that if Elvis walked into Graceland today he would struggle to recognise it as home
    Several people have said this, but I've always thought it's stretching things somewhat.

After all, it's still his house with his stuff in it!

Backstage Pass

If Elvis had wanted her input, she would have been in his will. It was his father's choice. And prob. only because she had the upper hand because Elvis still owed her half of the divorce settlement and he allowed a rider put on the deed that she would recover that, if the house was ever sold. Once Elvis died, all child support and alimony stopped and she would have to survive and raise Lisa on her own. She was used to a very nice life prior, due to the income he provided. Once dead, her life would have changed drastically. I don't think she wanted that for herself or Lisa. They were used to luxury. If the house was sold, she would have gotten her settlement paid and the other portion would have gone into the trust. Then all his personal belongings would be Lisa's as well and could have been sold or stored.
    But instead she opened it up as an investment for herself and Lisa. If anyone thinks it was all about Lisa's future income that is ridiculous. Why would Cilla settle for the other half of her settlement instead of life long financial income/security?? That would be just plain stupid.

I wouldn't dispute that Priscilla was looking out for financial security for herself.............as she has the right to do actually.

However, she is a Mother, and she would have thought about the long term implications of Lisa having 'something' of her Father's to hold onto, into the future...........
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by sasha View Post
    Come to think of it . Vernon allowed visitors/fans to walk up to Meditation Garden as early as late 1977, no charge .
    I have a friend that went & has pictures.
    Yes, we went in 1978. You could walk up the drive, round the Meditation Gardens and chat to whoever was manning the gate, which at our time there was Vester. He was more than happy to have photos taken too. Nice man.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    There are always going to be Priscilla detractors, always!

However the deal took place Graceland has become a national and international treasure. The initial opening had to be fraught with all sorts of misgivings both by the executor and Cilla, it could easily have gone sideways, they only had a finite amount of money to get the venture up and running and if there had been a poor response it could have closed and been gone forever.

I have more of an issue with what Cilla has done to Graceland over the prevailing years! Artefacts have been sold off at whim, decoration has taken place etc, my bet is that if Elvis walked into Graceland today he would struggle to recognise it as home

To to answer the question, I believe that Elvis would be happy that the estate is making revenue for his extended family. He would be happy that the fans see his achievements and are still very much interested in his life.

A great post. Agree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_One_E. View Post
    It was his father's choice. And prob. only because she had the upper hand because Elvis still owed her half of the divorce settlement and he allowed a rider put on the deed that she would recover that, if the house was ever sold.

Is that kind of debt still valid after the ex death?

Cadillac King

What do you think would have happened to Graceland, if it was just the bank that had the say so?
    Does anyone really think they'd care ?

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

Several people have said this, but I've always thought it's stretching things somewhat.

After all, it's still his house with his stuff in it!
    You can have a house full of things, but still not a home..

Oh Jumpsuit Junkie, I'm a little bit in love with you today. You are reading my mind.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast