Thread: August/September '74 Vegas engagement

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

August/September '74 Vegas engagement

I recently gave my NEVADA NIGHTS set another spin and as I was listening to it, I really realized that Elvis gave some fantastic performances during this engagement.

Obviously this statement doesn't take into account the now-infamous meltdown at the end of the engagement on closing night September 2nd, but clearly the beginning of the engagement especially, Elvis was very inspired. Of course we all know about the attempt to update his concert lineup with the opening show and how that unfortunately turned out. But even when he returned the next night to his more familiar set list, his performances were still quite inspired and very energetic. The karate-themed IF YOU TALK IN YOUR SLEEP, the addition of songs like PROMISED LAND, IT'S MIDNIGHT, IF YOU LOVE ME (LET ME KNOW) and even rarities like THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE and I'M LEAVIN' just really gave these shows a little something different that I personally really enjoy listening to.

Thankfully, both RCA and FTD have well-documented this engagement with the tracks included on the LIVE IN LAS VEGAS box set along with the FTD's IT'S MIDNIGHT, FROM SUNSET TO VEGAS and NEVADA NIGHTS. Sadly the end of the engagement suffers from the aforementioned meltdown, but even despite the lengthy monologues and difference in Elvis' demeanor at the end of the engagement, the performances themselves for the most part are still very powerful and Elvis really immerses himself in them, again in my opinion.

I really have to say that aside from the last few performances, this Vegas engagement is really one of Elvis' best in terms of performance and inspiration in both song choices and his overall singing.

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Southeastern Portion of These Here United States

Re: August/September '74 Vegas engagement

I wholehearted agree with you pal

The 1974 summer engagement in Las Vegas did see some very fine performances from our man, especially the "opening night" program which saw him make some drastic changes to the set list. Only downer is he dropped it the next night and returned to the old routine

Nevertheless, his vocals were quite strong throughout, at least to my ears anyway, and he did seam interested in each performance (minus the closing night show where he did get off track a bit )

So I'm always happy to listen to anything from this period.....
    "Don't tamper with the property of the U.S. Male"

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Male View Post
    I wholehearted agree with you pal

The 1974 summer engagement in Las Vegas did see some very fine performances from our man, especially the "opening night" program which saw him make some drastic changes to the set list. Only downer is he dropped it the next night and returned to the old routine

Nevertheless, his vocals were quite strong throughout, at least to my ears anyway, and he did seam interested in each performance (minus the closing night show where he did get off track a bit )

So I'm always happy to listen to anything from this period.....
    Thanks pal!!!

Yeah, it just seems to me that he is really into his performances vocally throughout most of the engagement. There are obvious exceptions, like WHY ME LORD where he tries to break J.D. up, but even on the closing show, despite the rambling monologues, his singing is really top notch.

Even though this engagement has been well documented, I certainly wouldn't mind hearing some more from these shows!

(FTD - hint, hint)

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

agree Mike, pity he didn't stick with it longer

..........and shame on the fans for giving him a bad reception
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

I've often wondered if Elvis would have continued to try new songs had his new set list been better received.

I adore the live version of If you talk in your sleep.

I have never understood the new songs weren't well received. I would have loved to be at any show but a show where he did a new songs,man that would have been something
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

when you've got fans going wild for 'Houndog', Blue Suede Shoes etc...... what was he supposed to do?
    Must have been so frustrating and tiresome doing all the standards for so many years, and as we found out, for 1100+ shows..............it's a wonder he didn't pull his hair out with the monotony of it.........
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Backstage Pass

Agreed.

I'm just gonna give you a like to a thread I started 2yrs + ago on the subject

http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread....st+opportunity

To be fair, if I were to see Elvis live for the first time and not sing his greatest hits, I would be disappointed. Remember, we are talking in hindsight. If I were a musician, I had to dig inside for some inspiration during songs like Can't help falling in love or CC Rider which were played night after night. Like Ian Paice, famous drummer with rock group Deep Purple, once said, "You have to learn to play the same thing in different ways to keep it interesting for yourself"

thanks for that.

I have the Fort Baxter release, 'if you talk in your sleep', sounds not fantastic, rarely play it.......

Songs like 'Down in the Alley'...........brilliant!!!!!