Thread: Is there a singing version of Softy....?

Smile Is there a singing version of Softy....?

Hola everyone,

I wonder if there is a good singing version of softly as I leave you existing, and can someone tell me why did Elvis spoke most of the song, by there I dont mean that I dislike the song I just love it...but as for spanish eyes in Thaoe he does speak a part of it, and then sing...It's just a question I was asking myself...

thanks and softly I must leave you
    There has been 44 united states présidents...but only one King....

Re: Is there a singing version of Softy....?

I am pretty sure it was only done live

Elvis told the intro story (which isn't at all true) and then did spoken word while Sherril Neilsen did the high tenor singing

and they ended it with harmony

I think Elvis just liked to do something different

I really like his spoken word version of songs - like The Wonder of You

even though I am not an American, his America spoken word version gave me total chills

Backstage Pass

Smile Re: Is there a singing version of Softy....?

Quote Originally Posted by monk37 View Post
    I am pretty sure it was only done live

I really like his spoken word version of songs - like The Wonder of You

even though I am not an American, his America spoken word version gave me total chills

Try listening to 'What now my love' from December 1976, and 'You gave me a mountain' from September 1974. Excellent -spoken- versions!

Yes, I've never heard about a good studio version of this song...a shame

Quote Originally Posted by medleyofcostumes View Post
    Try listening to 'What now my love' from December 1976, and 'You gave me a mountain' from September 1974. Excellent -spoken- versions!
    I wounder if they collected all the recordings of Elvis doing spoken word performances

and put it out as a CD, could he be nominated for a grammy in that category

or does it have to be actual speaking?

Yes the only time i heard it sung was by MATT MONRO ...

I like his little story, trrue or not. Elvis obviously believed it and put it over with sincerity.
    This is also the one case where I can tolerate Sherrill's warbling

I think the story sets up the song rather nicely, but it's about entertainment, not a documentary.

the story behind the song is just that a story, apparently ELVIS believed the story from sherill and charlie later learned that the guy[frank monte] did write some words down but it was unreadble , sherill felt like a total jack ......... as charlie said [mm convention 1987].

Except that the song wasn't written by Frank Monte.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softly,...You_%28song%29

"Softly, as I Leave You" is a popular song composed by Antonio De Vita (1932–1998), with original Italian lyrics by Giorgio Calabrese.

It was originally an Italian success in 1960 by Mina, at the Sanremo Music Festival, entitled "Piano" ("Softly"). Mina published a recording of the song first time as a single in 1960, and later as well on an EP and on three LPs.

The English songwriter Hal Shaper noticed the song and in November 1961 wrote English lyrics to the melody, calling it "Softly, as I Leave You".

It is best known in versions by Matt Monro (#10 on the British charts in 1962, Monro had US "Bubbling Under the Top 100" entries in Billboard in 1962 and 1964), and Frank Sinatra (#27 on Billboard Hot 100 in 1964).

Other recordings have been made by artists such as Bobby Darin, Andy Williams, Robert Goulet, Doris Day (1964), Shirley Bassey (1968) for her album This Is My Life, Elvis Presley (1973), David Whitfield on New Zealand TV (1973), Eydie Gorme, and Cliff Richard (1983).

Except that the song wasn't written by Frank Monte.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softly,...You_%28song%29

"Softly, as I Leave You" is a popular song composed by Antonio De Vita (1932–1998), with original Italian lyrics by Giorgio Calabrese.

It was originally an Italian success in 1960 by Mina, at the Sanremo Music Festival, entitled "Piano" ("Softly"). Mina published a recording of the song first time as a single in 1960, and later as well on an EP and on three LPs.

The English songwriter Hal Shaper noticed the song and in November 1961 wrote English lyrics to the melody, calling it "Softly, as I Leave You".

It is best known in versions by Matt Monro (#10 on the British charts in 1962, Monro had US "Bubbling Under the Top 100" entries in Billboard in 1962 and 1964), and Frank Sinatra (#27 on Billboard Hot 100 in 1964).

Other recordings have been made by artists such as Bobby Darin, Andy Williams, Robert Goulet, Doris Day (1964), Shirley Bassey (1968) for her album This Is My Life, Elvis Presley (1973), David Whitfield on New Zealand TV (1973), Eydie Gorme, and Cliff Richard (1983).
    the guy who wrote on the note pad was FRANK MONTE,

I Don't Think There Is A Studio version, But He Did Sing A Few Lines Of The Song At The Beginning Of A Alternate Version Of Loving Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by lvs2day View Post
    the guy who wrote on the note pad was FRANK MONTE,
    there was no guy with a note pad

it's a song like any other - fictional.

it's just a story that was added to the front of the song, a tall tale, part of the show.

there was no guy with a note pad

it's a song like any other - fictional.

it's just a story that was added to the front of the song, a tall tale, part of the show.
    i guess this is what charlie meant, on the video i have of the q/a , he clearly states that the song was writen after mr frank monte , had passed away , he was from caserta italy.