Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Many Shows Did Elvis do from 69 to 77?

Re: How Many Shows Did Elvis do from 69 to 77?

Tom Parker was a genius in the 50's......I'm not sure anyone else could have done what he did.
    Maybe when Elvis was in the army too...........but after that............?????

He was the richest actor at the time, but at what expense??
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    Tom Parker was a genius in the 50's......I'm not sure anyone else could have done what he did.
    I have always maintained that theory as well Deb. I really think The Colonel did a great job managing Elvis during the early portion of his career and what he was able to do by keeping Elvis in the public eye during Elvis' Army stint was sheer brilliance. Around the mid-60's sadly is when The Colonel had clearly outlived his usefulness in terms of managerial abilities and that was when Elvis really needed to find someone new that could take Elvis to newer and more creative heights...

Precisely right...at WHAT expense? The rest of Elvis' career, sadly...

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Right on Mike....................
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    I have always maintained that theory as well Deb. I really think The Colonel did a great job managing Elvis during the early portion of his career and what he was able to do by keeping Elvis in the public eye during Elvis' Army stint was sheer brilliance. Around the mid-60's sadly is when The Colonel had clearly outlived his usefulness in terms of managerial abilities and that was when Elvis really needed to find someone new that could take Elvis to newer and more creative heights...

Precisely right...at WHAT expense? The rest of Elvis' career, sadly...

TCB!
    Mike

It's been discussed here before but I think that Elvis should've gotten rid of Parker after the Army because, IMO, I don't think Elvis needed him anymore. I mean....take the Comeback Special, for instance, when Elvis 'bucked the Colonel' and did the songs that he, himself, wanted to do for the show instead of the standard Christmas special that the Colonel wanted which, IMVHO, would've ruined his comeback and possibly the rest of his career.

Absolutely Tony................imagine never having the 68 special...................

Absolutely Tony................imagine never having the 68 special...................
    ...or as Tony said, doing a 60-minute special filled with Christmas songs...

TCB!
    Mike

...or as Tony said, doing a 60-minute special filled with Christmas songs...

TCB!
    Mike
    deosn't bare thinking about

Backstage Pass

Although I agree with the fact that Elvis' schedule could have been arranged better, I try not to overestimate Elvis' efforts.

A 55 min show a day for 15 days, two weeks off, 55 min show a day for 15 days and so on isn't that bad COMPARED to the return.

To be fair - Elvis' effort for touring wasn't as bad. Elvis never rehearsed for tours just rehearsed for Las Vegas (occasionally). Had nothing to do with the set up of the show (except for the 68 comback, the 1969 return and the Aloha). When a new musician was in the band, Elvis never bothered to rehearse for the new guy as the 'rookie' had to learn his parts from the records. Even in 1976 he didn't bother go into a recording studio but had the musicians and engineers move to his house. You call that effort?

Today's standards for touring have risen and normally today's shows run for almost 3 hours and require weeks / months of rehearsals, coordination, stage lights, overhead projections.

OK they don't do 2 shows a night for a month like Elvis did in Las Vegas but still it requires lot of work.

Elvis' curse was the emphasis on physical gyrations which put in the background other important aspects of the show which were very good - such as rapport with the audience, vocal performance. That's why I like shows like he did in tahoe on closing night in May 1976 where he sang for 2 hours and almost 40 songs including 'Happy Birthday' or even the Pittsburgh 31.12.1976 show. There the emphasis was giving a good show irrespective of physical activity.

Celebrities (including Elvis) are paid millions of dollars and are/ were expected to sweat for them just like any other worker. Elvis had talent, a great voice, an aura round him, great persona and sense of humour but his effort was no more no less that others in the field.

I agree with what you are saying............IMO, it was the monotony which was the worst part of it.
    Also, perpetually living at night, sleeping during the day must have been hard for everyone around him

Quote Originally Posted by medleyofcostumes View Post
    Although I agree with the fact that Elvis' schedule could have been arranged better, I try not to overestimate Elvis' efforts.

A 55 min show a day for 15 days, two weeks off, 55 min show a day for 15 days and so on isn't that bad COMPARED to the return.
    True, if Elvis was only performing one show a night...but he was doing 2 shows a night, 6 nights a week in Las Vegas and 1 show on the 7th day. That's 26 shows in 14 days....definitely a lot of pressure for Elvis to keep up, especially with the energy he exerted on stage.

And again, let's not forget that one of the reasons for the hectic schedule is because rumor has it The Colonel had huge gambling debts to pay off and if Elvis wasn't working, he wasn't making money. And as we all know, The Colonel was only after one thing...

Today's standards for touring have risen and normally today's shows run for almost 3 hours and require weeks / months of rehearsals, coordination, stage lights, overhead projections.

OK they don't do 2 shows a night for a month like Elvis did in Las Vegas but still it requires lot of work.
    Another aspect of that is the ticket prices that The Colonel charged for an Elvis Presley show. Elvis was always of the mind that the ticket prices needed to be kept low so that his fans could afford to see his concerts. If Elvis were touring today, certainly a ticket to one of his shows would cost exorbitantly more than they did in the 70's.

This, of course, also plays into the whole situation of The Colonel booking Elvis for as many shows as he possibly could. With the lower ticket prices that Elvis required, The Colonel needed Elvis to perform as much as possible to make as much money as possible!

TCB!
    Mike

I agree with what you are saying............IMO, it was the monotony which was the worst part of it.
    Also, perpetually living at night, sleeping during the day must have been hard for everyone around him
    Excellent points Deb!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB Mafia

True, if Elvis was only performing one show a night...but he was doing 2 shows a night, 6 nights a week in Las Vegas and 1 show on the 7th day. That's 26 shows in 14 days....definitely a lot of pressure for Elvis to keep up, especially with the energy he exerted on stage.

And again, let's not forget that one of the reasons for the hectic schedule is because rumor has it The Colonel had huge gambling debts to pay off and if Elvis wasn't working, he wasn't making money. And as we all know, The Colonel was only after one thing...

Another aspect of that is the ticket prices that The Colonel charged for an Elvis Presley show. Elvis was always of the mind that the ticket prices needed to be kept low so that his fans could afford to see his concerts. If Elvis were touring today, certainly a ticket to one of his shows would cost exorbitantly more than they did in the 70's.

This, of course, also plays into the whole situation of The Colonel booking Elvis for as many shows as he possibly could. With the lower ticket prices that Elvis required, The Colonel needed Elvis to perform as much as possible to make as much money as possible!

TCB!
    Mike

I think Parker felt by charging higher ticket prices it wouldn't be fair to fans and it's true some of them couldn't afford it.
    That was nice of him.

I think Elvis wanted to play 2 shows in Vegas at least in the begining.

With the exceptions 1974 when you think about it Elvis didn't really work that much.
    In 1970 and 1971 he worked 3-4 months out of the year.
    in 1973 he only did a couple short u.s. tours in addition to Vegas
    in 1977 he worked 55 days out of the year and even if you count the tour he was going to go on plus the rumored Vegas engagement that tops around 70 work days.
    Most people work 8-9 hour days, 5 days a week all year around. Elvis had it easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I think Parker felt by charging higher ticket prices it wouldn't be fair to fans and it's true some of them couldn't afford it.
    That was nice of him.

I think Elvis wanted to play 2 shows in Vegas at least in the begining.

With the exceptions 1974 when you think about it Elvis didn't really work that much.
    In 1970 and 1971 he worked 3-4 months out of the year.
    in 1973 he only did a couple short u.s. tours in addition to Vegas
    in 1977 he worked 55 days out of the year and even if you count the tour he was going to go on plus the rumored Vegas engagement that tops around 70 work days.
    Most people work 8-9 hour days, 5 days a week all year around. Elvis had it easy.
    According to Elvis-In-Concert.com:

1969 - 56 shows
    1970 - 137 shows
    1971 - 157 shows
    1972 - 165 shows
    1973 - 167 shows
    1974 - 158 shows
    1975 - 107 shows
    1976 - 129 shows
    1977 - 55 shows

Elvis may have had it easy in terms of the money he made per show, but still...imagine traveling hundreds (or thousands) of miles, having to sleep during the day, walking onto stage to perform mostly the same songs night after night, leaving the stage and traveling hundreds (or thousands) of miles to the next city, etc. That is a LOT of work and even when Elvis had the "luxury" of not having to travel, when he was in Vegas or Tahoe, he had to pretty much stay secluded most of the time because of who he was. He couldn't just go out to see shows, go to the gaming floor or out to the restaurants...so that also had to take a toll on Elvis as well.

I think there just was a whole lot more to the reasons why Elvis was worn out besides strictly the number of dates he played each year. But still..when you look at the numbers, 165 dates a year is a LOT of shows to give. And we all know who we have to thank for that, don't we...

TCB!
    Mike

TCB Mafia

According to Elvis-In-Concert.com:

1969 - 56 shows
    1970 - 137 shows
    1971 - 157 shows
    1972 - 165 shows
    1973 - 167 shows
    1974 - 158 shows
    1975 - 107 shows
    1976 - 129 shows
    1977 - 55 shows

Elvis may have had it easy in terms of the money he made per show, but still...imagine traveling hundreds (or thousands) of miles, having to sleep during the day, walking onto stage to perform mostly the same songs night after night, leaving the stage and traveling hundreds (or thousands) of miles to the next city, etc. That is a LOT of work and even when Elvis had the "luxury" of not having to travel, when he was in Vegas or Tahoe, he had to pretty much stay secluded most of the time because of who he was. He couldn't just go out to see shows, go to the gaming floor or out to the restaurants...so that also had to take a toll on Elvis as well.

I think there just was a whole lot more to the reasons why Elvis was worn out besides strictly the number of dates he played each year. But still..when you look at the numbers, 165 dates a year is a LOT of shows to give. And we all know who we have to thank for that, don't we...

TCB!
    Mike
    I don't know people say that when Elvis wasn't working he'd get bored so he would call the Colonel and ask for more shows.

I still mantain working 130-150 days out of the year sometimes more and sometimes less wasn't that bad.
    If Elvis had stopped playing Vegas entirely after 1970 (Which I think should've happened) the number of shows he played would've lowered significantly

You also have to consider that in the 70's touring and playing shows was really his only source of income since he wasn't making films anymore.

Cadillac King

TCB!
    Mike
    Yeah.....like the stress of living a life in a way you don't want and not knowing how to change it...........

I don't know why people moan about the amount of on-the-road shows Elvis did.

Compared to many other artists, it's nothing.

Chuck Berry still performs over 300 nights a year.

None of Elvis' tours were all that long. Look at all the bands and singers - then and now - who travel the world night after night after night.

And I know Elvis gave his all (well, usually), but come on. A maximum of an hour on stage each night isn't all that much when you weigh it all up.

Vegas, on the other hand, is a different kettle of fish. One month is too long in the same venue. Starting with February, 1970, he should have only been doing two weeks at a time.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Backstage Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Vegas, on the other hand, is a different kettle of fish. One month is too long in the same venue. Starting with February, 1970, he should have only been doing two weeks at a time.
    Just a small point, Elvis performed in Vegas for 1 month UNTIL September 1973. From January 1974 it was fifteen days twice a year two shows a night. As from December 1975 it was fifteen days, 1 show a night except on weekends (2 shows a day).

Just a small point, Elvis performed in Vegas for 1 month UNTIL September 1973. From January 1974 it was fifteen days twice a year two shows a night. As from December 1975 it was fifteen days, 1 show a night except on weekends (2 shows a day).

Yes, I know.

But as I said, "Starting with February, 1970, he should have only been doing two weeks at a time."
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

like I said.............the monotony was the worst part

I don't know people say that when Elvis wasn't working he'd get bored so he would call the Colonel and ask for more shows.
    That is a good point...I've heard that also! So perhaps there may be some blame to place on Elvis for the amount of shows he did per year, but still...

I still mantain working 130-150 days out of the year sometimes more and sometimes less wasn't that bad.
    It certainly doesn't sound like a lot of days to work, but still...the traveling, the amount of energy Elvis put into his shows...all of that definitely put a strain on Elvis.

If Elvis had stopped playing Vegas entirely after 1970 (Which I think should've happened) the number of shows he played would've lowered significantly
    Absolutely right! By the time 1972 or so rolled around, there wasn't anything left for Elvis to conquer in Las Vegas. He had already broken all the attendance records repeatedly and it was time to leave Vegas behind for the most part...an occasional show or two wouldn't have been a bad thing, but 2 multiple show engagements per year was clearly no longer necessary. But again....this was mainly all thanks to The Colonel who reportedly had Elvis play Vegas to support his own personal gambling habit and debts...

You also have to consider that in the 70's touring and playing shows was really his only source of income since he wasn't making films anymore.
    Sadly, it didn't have to be! If The Colonel hadn't made that HORRIBLE deal to sell Elvis' back catalog in 1973 and had the ability to make better managerial decisions than to just continue to maintain the status quo and run Elvis into the ground (concert stage) night after night after night, then there could have been PLENTY of other income sources for Elvis other than concert tours.

TCB!
    Mike

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast