Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Many Shows Did Elvis do from 69 to 77?

Re: How Many Shows Did Elvis do from 69 to 77?

i believe the correct number of concerts to be 11144 from 69-77, admitedly there are some mistakes in erick skars book ELVIS concert years matching up suits with performances , the reason i say this number was because it came from the logs of colonel parker he kept this log [tour sheets] minus cancelled shows , vernon had the same amount in the logs [tour sheets] he had, i've kept many of these tour sheets that we were sent by vernons office since 72 for me . RE- ELVIS tours killing him , i do think and believe he needed a hiatus , and lets be honest he did but i also believe he knew he had a hell of a payroll with 300 employees , and he loved being ELVIS PRESLEY and not to mention he had a very expensive lifestyle and drug habbit[its bin said his drug habbit cost a million a year].

There's no way you could say Elvis looked good at that 12-02-77 concert

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post

Elvis looked good at that 12-02-77 concert

there is a way

Quote Originally Posted by asian1 View Post
    Hello: If you can find the Paul Lichter book: The Boy Who Dared to RocK, I believe he lists all of Elvis'performances in the back.
    Don't use that book for any references at all.

Lichter is hopeless!!
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

I agree....Elvis looked horrible at that show....and those photos seem to be the ones that crop up the most when newspapers/tabloids want to discuss Elvis's final years.

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Don't use that book for any references at all.

Lichter is hopeless!!

I agree, Getlo. Lichter is a leech in the Elvis world and a con-artist.

1131 CONCERTS FROM 1969 UNTIL 1977

1,156 is the figure listed on this site
    http://www.elvis-in-concert.com/
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

Backstage Pass

My count is 1135 shows as follows:

1969: Las Vegas 57 shows

1970: Las Vegas 57 + 58
    Houston 6
    Tour 9 + 9

1971: Las Vegas 57 + 57
    Lake Tahoe 27
    Tour 14

1972: Las Vegas 57 + 62
    Tour 19 + 19 + 12

1973: Aloha 2
    Las Vegas 54 + 58
    Lake Tahoe 26
    Tour 12 + 17

1974: Las Vegas 29 + 27
    Lake Tahoe 22 + 8
    Tour 24 + 5 + 25 + 15

1975: Las Vegas 29 + 5 + 16
    Tour 18 + 17 + 21
    Pontiac 1

1976 Las Vegas 15
    Lake Tahoe 15
    Tour 8 + 8 + 13 + 13 + 15 + 16 + 14 + 7 + 5

1977 Tour 10 + 8 + 13 + 14 + 10

International Level Nicole Presley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder Of You View Post
    he didnt look terrible as i love elvis and always looked great to me
    and some of the shows in february elvis looked very very great
    thats just 2 pics from the first day of his new tour
    You´re right! To me he always looked beautiful, too.

Backstage Pass

Photographs can be misleading. Different angles and lighting can make a person look better or worse. Just find different photos of the same show and compare them. In some he looks ok in other no. Even in close ups, Elvis looks fatter. How? A shot from the belt upwards will show him fatter that a full length shot. (Many tabloids way back in 1977 used to print Elvis photos either from the belt upwards of closeups of his face with rivers of sweat running down to emphasis his poor health.)

Notwithstanding this, during the first tour of 1977, particularly on the 12th Elvis' face was much more bloated COMPARED with his last outings on tour in December 1976.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    Definitely a good point Deb!!

Unfortunately, the jumpsuit was part of the "Elvis Image" so I highly doubt that he would have gotten rid of them. But like you said, had Elvis changed his stagewear to something a little more forgiving, he probably wouldn't have looked nearly as heavy as he did in the last couple years of his life.

TCB!
    Mike
    wasn't he supposed to be 250lbs when he died Mike?

Translated in UK terms (we work in stones and pounds)....LOL.....it makes him around 18 stone. I don't think that is that excessive for a 6ft Man......
    I'm not saying he wasn't overweight, however there's probably a lot of Men near there...........

Unfortunately, he wasn't allowed to age by the Media..........he had to be the endless sex symbol...........unrealistic!!!!!
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    wasn't he supposed to be 250lbs when he died Mike?

Translated in UK terms (we work in stones and pounds)....LOL.....it makes him around 18 stone. I don't think that is that excessive for a 6ft Man......
    I'm not saying he wasn't overweight, however there's probably a lot of Men near there...........

Unfortunately, he wasn't allowed to age by the Media..........he had to be the endless sex symbol...........unrealistic!!!!!
    I agree completely Deb! Yes the reports were that he weighed around 250lbs. when he died, but like you, I have to say that for a 6 ft. man I really don't think that is excessively overweight. Yes certainly he was carrying more weight than was healthy, but again, I really think it's the jumpsuits with the large belts and belt buckles that made Elvis look much heavier than he was.

You are right too about the unrealistic expectations of the media. Regardless of how heavy or not Elvis was, the man was 42 years old and even if he was the picture of perfect health, he certainly was not going to move around on stage in 1977 as he did in 1956...it just wasn't going to happen.

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Backstage Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    I agree completely Deb! Yes the reports were that he weighed around 250lbs. when he died, but like you, I have to say that for a 6 ft. man I really don't think that is excessively overweight. Yes certainly he was carrying more weight than was healthy, but again, I really think it's the jumpsuits with the large belts and belt buckles that made Elvis look much heavier than he was.

You are right too about the unrealistic expectations of the media. Regardless of how heavy or not Elvis was, the man was 42 years old and even if he was the picture of perfect health, he certainly was not going to move around on stage in 1977 as he did in 1956...it just wasn't going to happen.

TCB!
    Mike

It isn't much the weight but the general appearance.

Let's take 1975 as a pivot.

In 1975 he was overweight but for most shows he was bright, in good spirits, and quite mobile.

During the September-October 1974, Elvis was slimmer than 1975, but his appearance was worse. He 'wasn't there' for some shows and was static and uninterested.

By 1977, although not gaining excessive weight compared to 1975, he was frequently very static and slurred the words to songs and dialogue in between songs. His eyes were puffy many times.

There were exceptions particularly during late 1976, but overall his appearance was not good. (Note I am comparing 1977 to 1975 NOT to 1970)

My point is, you can be slim but still not in good health or otherwise, sassy but in good spirits, enjoying oneself and giving an inspired performance EVEN WITHOUTgyrations, karate kicks etc.

A lot of that was his state of mind (assentuated by the pills) which was to blame for his performances.

But the media did stick the knife in with the 'fat and forty' jibes
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by hounddog View Post
    1,156 is the figure listed on this site
    http://www.elvis-in-concert.com/
    1156 is the correct number.

People tend to forget the several cancelled shows in '73 and they are often left is as part of the listing.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

ah so have people been counting canceled shows...as i need to know what he did not what he was supposed to have done
    "I Just Want Them To Get The Best I Had" Elvis Presley

Quote Originally Posted by medleyofcostumes View Post
    It isn't much the weight but the general appearance.

Let's take 1975 as a pivot.

In 1975 he was overweight but for most shows he was bright, in good spirits, and quite mobile.

During the September-October 1974, Elvis was slimmer than 1975, but his appearance was worse. He 'wasn't there' for some shows and was static and uninterested.

By 1977, although not gaining excessive weight compared to 1975, he was frequently very static and slurred the words to songs and dialogue in between songs. His eyes were puffy many times.

There were exceptions particularly during late 1976, but overall his appearance was not good. (Note I am comparing 1977 to 1975 NOT to 1970)

My point is, you can be slim but still not in good health or otherwise, sassy but in good spirits, enjoying oneself and giving an inspired performance EVEN WITHOUTgyrations, karate kicks etc.
    All definitely good points!!! I was merely referring to the fact that many of the concert reviewers, newspapers, etc. were commenting on how Elvis had slowed down and was not performing like he was. Besides the obvious health issues Elvis was battling, just the fact that Elvis was 42 years old meant that he certainly wasn't going to be able to perform the same way he did when he was in his 20's or even 30's. Just the fact of getting older unfortunately...

TCB!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    1156 is the correct number.

People tend to forget the several cancelled shows in '73 and they are often left is as part of the listing.

So, this blows the "1094 shows" from Ral Donner in "This Is Elvis" out of the water.....that quote has always bugged me. You'd figure they would've done their research properly for that movie.

But, I say again, 1,156 shows over an eight year period was way too **** many shows. No wonder Elvis died at forty-two - although the prescription drug abuse (and other drugs) didn't help.

WELL SAID TONY.........way too many!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    WELL SAID TONY.........way too many!!!!!
    Right on Deb!!!

Goes right back to my continuing stand on what a (insert your own profanity here) The Colonel was...

TCB!
    Mike

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast