Thread: the TV specials and Elvis

the TV specials and Elvis

can anyone think of anyone else who did a one person tv special?

I was thinking about both the 68 and 73 ones.

I know there were a lot of headliners who did tv specials - usually holiday related - but there was always guest stars and skits - they were variety specials with a headliner and guests.

Elvis' 68 special special was all him - concert style, unplugged and stages musical numbers - no guest stars to draw audience.

the 73 one was a global broadcast - and I know that the Oscars have been and some sports - but has there been any other entertainer - again, in a one person (or one band) concert that went out to all the tv markets like that?

Re: the TV specials and Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by monk37 View Post

I was thinking about both the 68 and 73 ones.

I know there were a lot of headliners who did tv specials - usually holiday related - but there was always guest stars and skits - they were variety specials with a headliner and guests.

Elvis' 68 special special was all him - concert style, unplugged and stages musical numbers - no guest stars to draw audience.
    the 73 one was a global broadcast - and I know that the Oscars have been and some sports - but has there been any other entertainer - again, in a one person (or one band) concert that went out to all the tv markets like that?
    Goodpoint, never thought about it just like that! Offhand no one else comes to mind.

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

Sinatra did, and I think Streisand did but thats just off the top of my head.
    Work in Progress!

Sinatra.

Madison Square Garden, October 1974.

Known as "The Main Event".

A brilliant show.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Elvis out shines them all !!!!!!
    Last edited by mistymorning; 01-11-2010 at 09:16 AM.

He was the firstest with the mostest.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Sinatra did, and I think Streisand did but thats just off the top of my head.
    the Streisand tv specials had guests

my spouse is a Babs fan.

I didn't know about the Sinatra special

but it's interesting that no one else has - or at least, no one anyone can think of......

May1973, a TV special called: James Paul McCartney; which was all about, guess who?

Sure, you can say that its not only McCartney, it also features Wings, and Linda, but well, that is like saying NBC '68 comback has Scooty, D.J., or that Aloha has the TCB Band. It was as much about Macca as Aloha or '68 about Elvis.

wonder why they added the "James" - he's not commonly referred to by that name

and yes, wings and Linda were his regular back up, not guests.

still, interesting that it's appearing that it's the classic performers who did the 1 person tv specials

no one from the 80's onward has attempted such a show?

I'm familiar with James Paul McCartney and I'm not sure if it qualifies in this instance. I haven't seen it for a while, but I seem to recall that the feel is much more of just a documentary with multiple locations, interviews and some music, rather than a series of production numbers ostensibly presented as a single live performance or theatrical show, which I'm guessing is what the thread is pertaining to.
    'Taking Care of Beaulieu'.

the Streisand tv specials had guests

my spouse is a Babs fan.

I didn't know about the Sinatra special

but it's interesting that no one else has - or at least, no one anyone can think of......
    I'm pretty sure the Sinatra show called the "The Main Event" was a one man special concert from Madison Square Garden.
    I kept thinking that Streisand had a one woman similar event in the 80s or 90s but am going strictly on memory which can be wrong.
    Work in Progress!

If I'm not mistaken - I remember hearing or reading that - up until Elvis Alhoha From Hawaii (Jan 73). This was the very first ENTERTAINMENT show done via satalite. So Elvis held that honor of being the very first entertainment act to be beamed around the world via satelite.

yes Elvis' Aloha show was the first live concert via satellite.
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.