Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: the TV specials and Elvis

  1. #1

    the TV specials and Elvis

    can anyone think of anyone else who did a one person tv special?

    I was thinking about both the 68 and 73 ones.

    I know there were a lot of headliners who did tv specials - usually holiday related - but there was always guest stars and skits - they were variety specials with a headliner and guests.

    Elvis' 68 special special was all him - concert style, unplugged and stages musical numbers - no guest stars to draw audience.

    the 73 one was a global broadcast - and I know that the Oscars have been and some sports - but has there been any other entertainer - again, in a one person (or one band) concert that went out to all the tv markets like that?

  2. #2
    PINK Cadillac Lisarose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    GulfCoast, Texas
    Posts
    3,107

    Re: the TV specials and Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by monk37 View Post
    can anyone think of anyone else who did a one person tv special?

    I was thinking about both the 68 and 73 ones.

    I know there were a lot of headliners who did tv specials - usually holiday related - but there was always guest stars and skits - they were variety specials with a headliner and guests.

    Elvis' 68 special special was all him - concert style, unplugged and stages musical numbers - no guest stars to draw audience.
    the 73 one was a global broadcast - and I know that the Oscars have been and some sports - but has there been any other entertainer - again, in a one person (or one band) concert that went out to all the tv markets like that?
    Goodpoint, never thought about it just like that! Offhand no one else comes to mind.


    Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

  3. #3
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: the TV specials and Elvis

    Sinatra did, and I think Streisand did but thats just off the top of my head.
    Work in Progress!

  4. #4

    Re: the TV specials and Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by monk37 View Post
    can anyone think of anyone else who did a one person tv special?
    Sinatra.

    Madison Square Garden, October 1974.

    Known as "The Main Event".

    A brilliant show.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

  5. #5

    Re: the TV specials and Elvis

    Elvis out shines them all !!!!!!
    Last edited by mistymorning; 01-11-2010 at 09:16 AM.

    He was the firstest with the mostest.

  6. #6

    Re: the TV specials and Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Sinatra did, and I think Streisand did but thats just off the top of my head.
    the Streisand tv specials had guests

    my spouse is a Babs fan.


    I didn't know about the Sinatra special


    but it's interesting that no one else has - or at least, no one anyone can think of......

  7. #7
    TCB Mafia Raised on Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    2,129

    Re: the TV specials and Elvis

    May1973, a TV special called: James Paul McCartney; which was all about, guess who?

    Sure, you can say that its not only McCartney, it also features Wings, and Linda, but well, that is like saying NBC '68 comback has Scooty, D.J., or that Aloha has the TCB Band. It was as much about Macca as Aloha or '68 about Elvis.

  8. #8

    Re: the TV specials and Elvis

    wonder why they added the "James" - he's not commonly referred to by that name

    and yes, wings and Linda were his regular back up, not guests.


    still, interesting that it's appearing that it's the classic performers who did the 1 person tv specials

    no one from the 80's onward has attempted such a show?

  9. #9
    TCB Mafia Teddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Your Heart
    Posts
    3,531

    Re: the TV specials and Elvis

    I'm familiar with James Paul McCartney and I'm not sure if it qualifies in this instance. I haven't seen it for a while, but I seem to recall that the feel is much more of just a documentary with multiple locations, interviews and some music, rather than a series of production numbers ostensibly presented as a single live performance or theatrical show, which I'm guessing is what the thread is pertaining to.
    'Taking Care of Beaulieu'.

  10. #10
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: the TV specials and Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by monk37 View Post
    the Streisand tv specials had guests

    my spouse is a Babs fan.


    I didn't know about the Sinatra special


    but it's interesting that no one else has - or at least, no one anyone can think of......
    I'm pretty sure the Sinatra show called the "The Main Event" was a one man special concert from Madison Square Garden.
    I kept thinking that Streisand had a one woman similar event in the 80s or 90s but am going strictly on memory which can be wrong.
    Work in Progress!

  11. #11

    Re: the TV specials and Elvis

    If I'm not mistaken - I remember hearing or reading that - up until Elvis Alhoha From Hawaii (Jan 73). This was the very first ENTERTAINMENT show done via satalite. So Elvis held that honor of being the very first entertainment act to be beamed around the world via satelite.

  12. #12
    TCB Mafia hounddog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,645

    Re: the TV specials and Elvis

    yes Elvis' Aloha show was the first live concert via satellite.
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •