Thread: What would be the perfect compilation for Elvis' 70th Anniversary?

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar

What would be the perfect compilation for Elvis' 70th Anniversary?

Next year the world will celebrate Elvis' 70th Anniversary. BMG will take their part by releasing three horrible compilations and re-re-releases (read this topic)

So it's obvious that BMG still doesn't want to show the world that Elvis was more than only Teddy Bear and Don't Be Cruel.

If you were in charge of BMG and you could decide what ultimate compilation would be lying in the shops next year, what would it look like? It has to appeal to fans and non-fans, and be a massive succes.

Artwork:
    perhaps a compilation of Elvis throughout his career: 1956, army, Blue Hawaii, NBC Special, TTWII, Aloha and 1975.

Content:
    The main goal would be to make a compilation that stands out between all other Elvis CD's. So it has to have a mixture of big hits, non-hits and rarities/outtakes. It should cover all eras and styles.

"The Other Side Of Elvis" would have a tracklist with songs like this:

1956-1958
    Doncha Think It's Time
    I Believe
    I Got Stung
    I Was The One
    King Creole
    Lawdy Miss, Clawdy

1960-1963
    a Mess Of Blues
    Ask Me
    Boss Nova Baby
    (Such an) Easy Question
    Fountain of Love
    GI Blues
    Girls, Girls, Girls
    Hawaiian Wedding Song
    (Mary's The Name) Of His Latest flame
    I Feel So Bad
    I Slipped, I Stumbled, I Fell
    I Want You With Me
    It's Now Or Never
    Such a Night

1964-1968
    Big Boss Man
    Down In The Alley
    Fools Fall In Love
    Hi-Heel Sneakers
    Mamy Liked The Roses
    Somebody Bigger Than You And I
    Stand By Me
    Suppose

1968-1971
    Baby What You Want Me To Do
    Any Day Now
    Bridge Over Troubled Water
    Change Of Habits
    Early Morning Rain
    Faded Love
    The Fool
    Got My Mojo Working
    Heartbreak Hotel (live '68 or '69)
    I'm Leavin
    Lead Me, Guide Me
    Long Black Limousine
    The NExt Step Is Love
    Polk Salad Annie
    Stranger In My Own Home Town
    Suspicious Minds
    You Don't Have To Say You Love Me

1971-1977
    American Trilogy
    Are You Sincere
    Can't Help Falling In Love
    Danny Boy (undubbed)
    For Ol' Times Sake
    How Great Thou Art (live '77)
    Hurt (live)
    Let Me Be There
    Moody Blue
    My Way (live '77)
    Never Been To Spain
    Proud Mary
    Steamroller Blues
    Promised Land
    Seperate Ways
    Talk About The Good Times
    Thinking About You
    Unchained Melody

This is my list of available songs. Now I "only" have to narrow it down to a 2CD version. And that one could very well be a hit CD that introduces non-fans (an perhaps also fans) to 'the other side of Elvis'
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Cadillac King
    I would put out a

1 Blues Compilation ( for contents see the topic discussed on this board
    earlier this month.....)
    2 Love compilation - Partial Track listing:
    Gently
    Love me tonight
    Tender Feeling
    Im falling in love tonight
    Never Ending
    Untill its time for you to go
    For the good times
    Just pretend......

and if you just "got to have it "then Are you lonesome tonight/ Its now or Never....

3 The Other side of Elvis - Alternate takes w/o Overdubs " Pure and Naked "

I have a 20 track compilation playing right now, starting with Just cant help belivin/ Its your baby you rock it/ 20 day & 20 nights/ Susan when she tries/Promised Land /stranger in the crowd/ Syvia/Fairytale/Ive lost you among others ....

jb

Cadillac King
    Jbguide: If you are going to put together a compilation and expect the general public to buy it in mass quantity 50% of the tracks better be familiar to them or forget it. So, yes, you must have It's Now Or Never; Are You
    Lonesome Tonight?; Can't Help Falling In Love and others. John Q. Public
    craves familiarity. A compilation composed mostly of songs that are unfamiliar to the general public would be welcomed by the "educated" Elvis
    fan, but the general public would take one look at the track list and put it back in the rack.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryNodak
    Jbguide: If you are going to put together a compilation and expect the general public to buy it in mass quantity 50% of the tracks better be familiar to them or forget it. So, yes, you must have It's Now Or Never; Are You
    craves familiarity. A compilation composed mostly of songs that are unfamiliar to the general public would be welcomed by the "educated" Elvis
    fan, but the general public would take one look at the track list and put it back in the rack.
    I disagree: the mass public can buy E1 and E2 for the hits, but there never ever has been a compilation that can give them some of that other side of Elvis.

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Cadillac King
    Jerry, that is the idea : present a "new" unknown Elvis. Like you have never heard him before. I go to a movie sometimes, just because there is star that I like in it - sometimes I try out a movie on a reccomendation.

So if you have some really great tracks and do something that BMG almost never does ie. promote Elvis aggresively, you will have results. A recent classic case was just a few months back : did you notice how the Eva Cassidy set of albums were (re) released ? It seemed to get positive reviews from almost any newspaper and magazine I opened, shops had it prominently displayed - do you think she moved the volume an unpromoted Elvis CD normally does ?

There is market for good music and there is plenty of it from the lesser known Elvis albums.

Cadillac King
    Okay, Albert, I concede to your point(sort of). But we've already had comprehensive box sets. '50s-70s, Platinum, Close Up, etc. All of them looked at Elvis' career from one angle or another. If you could get 70-80%
    of the general public to buy the 50s-70s boxsets they would be exposed to all the "unfamiliar" Elvis songs they'd ever want.

Ok so maybe the general public would put it down but to the true Elvis fan a compliation of unfamiliar tracks would be a great treat, after all I think they should be the ones it should be for. I hate the thought that all new releases should be made only for profit and no thought for the long time fans. I know they have a buisness to run but without us they would have no profits, it is time we had some say in these things after all we are his fans.

just my opinion

love and peace,
    Susan.
    Yesterday was the past and tomorrow is the future but today is the present ..thats why we call it the gift"

"Never listen to a liar it takes too long to find out the truth and my time is too precious"

"Without you I am only half of me"

Backstage Pass
    Personally I would like to see a 5 CD set of 125 or more previously unreleased performances. Mostly studio, some rare acetates, some rare live performances. Some '70s studio masters without all the overdubbing. The preferred presentation would be like the 5 CD Box sets of the '50s, '60s, & '70s. Complete with book, but I would settle for the way "Close Up", "Today, Tomorrow, & Forever" were presented (I've grown acustomed to these.)

Okay, Albert, I concede to your point(sort of). But we've already had comprehensive box sets. '50s-70s, Platinum, Close Up, etc. All of them looked at Elvis' career from one angle or another. If you could get 70-80%
    of the general public to buy the 50s-70s boxsets they would be exposed to all the "unfamiliar" Elvis songs they'd ever want.
    The boxsets were pretty good, but because of the pricetag many shops didn't bother to order it. And because of the size it can't be stored between all normal cd's. And because of the pricetag a non-Elvis fan isn't really invited to buy it. And many times the boxsets didn't cover the 'unknown' part of Elvis, but more the unknown takes of wellknown songs.

I'd like BMG to release a CD (preferably a 2CD) with 'The Other Side Of Elvis' at a good price: $20 (or 20 euro).

CD's

I will agree about the "Love, Elvis" CD - it definately should NOT be released. I can't believe they are yet again, releasing another love song compliation. This will now be, the 5th love song CD released in the stores. That is just a joke.

However, I couldn't disagree more about the album re-releases. These are the CD's we need to support. These are the CD's that should always be available to the public, especially for anybody that's "new" to the Elvis catalogue.

I was fortunate enough to get an e-mail, which was a very nice surprise, from someone that actually worked on the album re-releases. Yes, they will be in DSD sound, and is very, very pleased with how they turned out (Please don't ask me who it is, I cannot tell you.)

An important point also, is that "Loving You" will be available again for purchase - which is currently NOT in the catalogue. When I was ready to buy it before, they deleted it from the catalogue.

So I hope this continues, and the other deleted releases will be available again ("King Creole", "Elvis Is Back", "Elvis Country", etc.)

Rich

BMG could and should be more imaginative with their mainstream releases. If the material on the albums is good, and the disc is properly promoted it will sell. An album of lesser-known songs may not shift as many units as “ELV1S”, but I doubt “Love, Elvis” will either. Exactly half of the 24 tracks on “Love, Elvis” have just been issued on “ELV1S” and “Second To None” and both of these albums are currently being re-promoted for the Christmas market as the double set “Elvis Forever”. Taking this into consideration I don’t think “Love, Elvis” will have much of an impact when it is issued in January.

A definitive blues compilation or a follow up to “Second To None” using stand out tracks from the rest of the catalogue would have been a better idea in my opinion, and the mainstream catalogue really does need streamlining.

BMG claim to have done this already, but effectively they have just made it worse. As Rich says all the major titles should be on general sale, and there really is no excuse for deleting titles like “Elvis Is Back” or “Elvis Country”. These two titles say more about Elvis Presley than “Love, Elvis” ever will.

Cadillac King
    Since BMG do not seem to have a clue on finding alternate Elvis " love" songs, I sat right down and made myself a compilation - and to cater for the crowd that will want some "familiar titles" I have included some of the big **** tracks :

1 Lover Doll
    2 Gently
    3 Today tomorrow and forever
    4 In my way
    5 Angel
    6 Love me tonight
    7 Tender Feeling
    8 Im falling in love tonight
    9 Never Ending
    10 Puppet on a string
    11 Tender Feeling
    12 All that I am
    13 Please dont stop loving me
    14 Love letters
    15 Are you lonesome tonight
    16 Hawaiian Wedding Song
    17 Cant help falling in love
    18 Untill its time for you to go
    19 Just Pretend
    20 For the good times

jb

Hi everyone! I've been having some problems with my computer recently,so i haven't visited the board for a while.Here are 20 songs I'd like to see on a compilation cd.If you ask me the same question tomorrow,it would probably be a different 20.

Kentucky Rain
    Loving Arms
    Suspicious Minds
    Good Time Charlies got the Blues
    Always on my mind
    Any Day Now
    Just Pretend
    I've got a thing about you baby
    Wearin that loved on look
    Promised Land
    T-R-O-U-B-L-E
    There's a honky tonk Angel
    Power of my Love
    How the web was woven
    Burning Love
    I just can't help believin'
    If you talk in your sleep
    I'm movin on
    Whole lotta shakin goin on
    Stranger in my own home town

International Level
    How abou't an Elvis video a 2 dvd set of Elvis in concert's from,
    That's the way it it and Elvis on tour.

having 2 complete concert's from two of these films.
    and maybe some more goodies.
    Curtis Simpkins

Long Live Vinyl. :worthy:

International Level
    to me to make a perfect Elvis 70th Anniversary.
    it has to be an dvd video With 2 Elvis concert's
    one from "that's the way it is" & "Elvis on tour"

On the on tour dvd it would be nice to see a video from the close up cd set
    the texas concert and on the "That's the way it is' concert from the las vegas
    box set aug-11-1970 this show has an great version of "just pretend"
    Curtis Simpkins

Long Live Vinyl. :worthy:

Hi Albert: take a look in the alt. artwork work in progress...i think this cover i made fitts perfectly...