Thread: Dick Grob and the mystery Elvis ACETATE??

Dick Grob and the mystery Elvis ACETATE??

Dick Grob, Elvis Presley's ex-security guard, swears that he's found a valuable one-of-a kind recording of the King. Grob says he rediscovered the disc in his garage, and he believes it's titled "Let Me Make Believe Awhile."

"He handed this to me one day and said 'hang on to this. It might be worth something someday.' And I looked him right back square in the eyes and said back to him, 'Why don't you sign the bad thing and I'll be sure its worth something,'" says Grob.

According to Grob, Elvis then signed the recording, an acetate version that is a performer's personal copy.

The disc now rests in the warehouse of famed auctioneers Butterfield and Butterfield in Hollywood. They say it's the real deal.RCA also stated the song's real title is "Just Let Me Make Believe," composed by Ronald Blackwell, and it was first published by Acuff-Rose in 1966. Both RCA and Grob agree that the late Roy Orbison later recorded the song.

Grob, who's set to release a book on Elvis, says so did the King, sometime in the 1960s. "Because why else would he have put it in Graceland? Why would he give it to me with that (notation) on it?" wonders Grob.

TCB
    Wade
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails elvis_sig.jpg  

The acetate (most likely taken from a radio broadcast around the time of the auction) was released on the import CD “From The Bottom Of My Heart Volume 2” (Savanah Records) and it definitely isn’t Elvis.

It’s my guess that the recording was a demo in the Elvis style that was sent to him for consideration, but ultimately not recorded.

Interesting info. on the acetate, Rebel. Fascinating, & it does ring true.

I can't speak as for the acetate, ............ because I've never heard it, but ............ I can tell you with absolute certainty that the Inscription & Signature are not EP's writing.

Grob had a lot of bogus material in the 2nd B&B Auction back in the 90's (the above item being one), especially autograph material. As a result, I would even be very leery of his "Elvis-Owned" items as well.

In my experience, Grob's word is unreliable.

- Capt. "EL."

If Grob tells you the sky is blue...DOUBLE CHECK!!!!! He got close to Elvis based upon his Air Force record as well as his police background. Tricky Dickie never mentioned that he was kicked off the police force and did not get an honorable discharge from the USAF. Grob has been pushing bogus signatures and other merchandise for years....Sold the pics of Elvis' private suite to the Enquirer....is a serial adulterer....a real scumbag.Don't believe this recording is real. Just another in a long line of scams

Quote Originally Posted by Garyv View Post
    If Grob tells you the sky is blue...DOUBLE CHECK!!!!! He got close to Elvis based upon his Air Force record as well as his police background. Tricky Dickie never mentioned that he was kicked off the police force and did not get an honorable discharge from the USAF. Grob has been pushing bogus signatures and other merchandise for years....Sold the pics of Elvis' private suite to the Enquirer....is a serial adulterer....a real scumbag.Don't believe this recording is real. Just another in a long line of scams
    I have heard this before . Appears Grob is "on the road again."
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Man this guy likes to tell lies alot doesn't he...
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Backstage Pass
    i have A copY of this acetate. its not Elvis on it. Not even close.
    I also agree that the signature on the cover is not Elvis Presley's.
    Joe K
    WWW.ELVIS2001.NET

Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS2001NET View Post
    i have A copY of this acetate. its not Elvis on it. Not even close.
    I also agree that the signature on the cover is not Elvis Presley's.
    Joe K
    WWW.ELVIS2001.NET
    I'm glad to have you here, Joe!
    It can get very hard to seperate all the stories from fact or fiction , doesn't it ?
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I'm glad to have you here, Joe!
    It can get very hard to seperate all the stories from fact or fiction , doesn't it ?
    It definitley seem's that way.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977