Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Elvis Tours After August 1977?

  1. #1
    Cadillac King peter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Prague - Czech Republic
    Posts
    252
    I always thought that Elvis tour after his death was announced only one, but it?s not true!!! All announced shows:

    complete well known never played tour:
    17th August - Portland
    18th August - Portland
    19th August - Utica
    20th August - Syracuse
    21st August - Hartford
    22nd August - Uniondale
    23rd August - Lexington
    24th August - Roanoke
    25th August - Fayatteville
    26th August - Asheville
    27th August - Memphis
    28th August - Memphis
    --------------------------

    confirmed not well known dates for 31st never played tour:
    16th September - Terra Haute
    ????
    20th September - Huntington
    ????
    22nd September - Huntington
    ????
    26th September - Terra Haute
    ????
    28th September - Savannah
    (Blackmore - Gillan - Glover - Lord - Paice)
    Sweet child in time
    you?ll see the line
    line that?s drawn between
    good and bad
    see the blind man
    shooting at the world
    bullets flying taking toll
    If you?ve been a bad
    oh Lord I bet you have
    and you?ve not been hit
    by flying led
    you?d better close your eyes
    you?d better bow your head and
    wait for the ricochet

    - Lyrics of most beautiful song in rock music ever!!!

  2. #2
    From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    where Kentucky Rain falls
    Posts
    5,175
    Nice info.

    I have a couple of tickets to the Savannah show.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

  3. #3
    Backstage Pass JohanD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Belgium;Aalst
    Posts
    102
    Does anyone know if he indeed would come back to Las Vegas to open the bigger showroom?
    Surely plans must have been made in august 1977 before that fatal moment...
    JohanD

    "And i'm never gonna cease my wondering..."

  4. #4
    From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    where Kentucky Rain falls
    Posts
    5,175
    Apparently that was the plan. After Elvis died, the only draw they could get which would come close to replacing him as an opening event for that showroom (the Pavilion?) in their minds was Muhammad Ali, so that's what was booked: Ali v. Spinks, which took place in February '78.

    This brings up an interesting question. According to the Revelations book, not to be confused with the Book of Revelations --specifically Marty & Lamar, I believe, the Hilton basically didn't want Elvis back after his last engagement in December '76 because he had become just too unpredictable, his behavior too erratic. But then you have the Hilton people saying how they intentionally didn't book Elvis in '77 to further whet the appetites of the fans for the grand opening of the new showroom.

    Is this just a case of misinformed MMM's, or does the truth lie somewhere in the middle, I wonder?
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

  5. #5
    With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Empire State
    Posts
    9,609
    WOW!!! I find it hard to believe that the Hilton would purposely not book Elvis in their showroom....his shows were still a constant sell-out (even the December '76 engagement), and must have brought loads of money into the hotel everytime he was there! I can't believe they would just turn down all that money on purpose....but maybe, as Bobby said, there is a truth to this which lies somewhere in the middle?!?

    Thanks Peter for the information on the September '77 tour. I had heard about the Savannah show booking, but the other ones were new to me.

    As for other '77 bookings, I do know that there were plans underway for Elvis to perform at the Seattle Kingdome on New Year's Eve '77/'78.

    Does anyone else know of any other tour dates that were being discussed for the second half of '77? Being a fan of Elvis in 1977, I always enjoy learning new information that comes my way!!

    TCB!
    Mike


    TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!


  6. #6
    Cadillac King peter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Prague - Czech Republic
    Posts
    252
    I heard that Elvis wanted to do another stadium show. This time in different place (not Astrodome not Silverdome). It should be a concert for cca 80.000 people, but may be it?s lie, because Elvis didn?t like large concerts....
    (Blackmore - Gillan - Glover - Lord - Paice)
    Sweet child in time
    you?ll see the line
    line that?s drawn between
    good and bad
    see the blind man
    shooting at the world
    bullets flying taking toll
    If you?ve been a bad
    oh Lord I bet you have
    and you?ve not been hit
    by flying led
    you?d better close your eyes
    you?d better bow your head and
    wait for the ricochet

    - Lyrics of most beautiful song in rock music ever!!!

  7. #7
    Backstage Pass JohanD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Belgium;Aalst
    Posts
    102
    Very interresting views,thanks to all!!

    Strange that The Hilton did not have a concrete date of when Elvis was going to return(if he had returned..)

    His beheavior was not that"strange" in december 76 i think,certainly not compared to the summer of 74 season..

    So why not book him,if he was indeed the #1 seller at the Hilton?

    Maybe Parker was not too happy about this,the big money was to be made on the roadshows. So it could be another big event was planned instead of the regular Vegas season,but i guess now we would never know for sure...

    Someone knows how long the contract with the Hilton lasted,and when it was signed/or extended?(With the known "signing footage" from the International in 69 in mind...)

    Still,Elvis in Vegas from 69 trough 76 was bigger then life.. :
    JohanD

    "And i'm never gonna cease my wondering..."

  8. #8
    Coming On Strong SouthPaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Music City, TN
    Posts
    60
    Was the Hilton contract up for renewal or had it expired? Can't imagine the money he would be making today in Vegas with all the new venues, etc.
    http://hometown.aol.com/skmccarty/images/tcblogo1.jpg
    It's never too late to take care of business.

  9. #9
    Cadillac King peter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Prague - Czech Republic
    Posts
    252
    I think that Elvis would play for larger audience than in LV or Lake Tahoe. I think that Elvis wanted to play in larger arenas 5.000+. As we know, largest audience he ever had was 60.500 and Elvis was nervous, so I think that Elvis made his best shows in classic arenas (5.000 - 20.000).
    (Blackmore - Gillan - Glover - Lord - Paice)
    Sweet child in time
    you?ll see the line
    line that?s drawn between
    good and bad
    see the blind man
    shooting at the world
    bullets flying taking toll
    If you?ve been a bad
    oh Lord I bet you have
    and you?ve not been hit
    by flying led
    you?d better close your eyes
    you?d better bow your head and
    wait for the ricochet

    - Lyrics of most beautiful song in rock music ever!!!

  10. #10
    Roustabouts
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    14
    Fabulous and accurate news Peter ! Well done buddy !
    Also of interest to many fans would be this: did EP have new songs in mind for this upcoming tour and did he think of singing another medley upon popular request ? Ask someone please; too bad, now that Charlie is no longer there...but we heard somewhere that he planned on doing a R'n'R medley with Readyteddy, Tutti frutti, Good rockin' tonight, Rip it up a.o. ??? How true is that ? Any new material that he was planning for studio recording ??

  11. #11
    Roustabouts
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    14

    Exclamation Worst King show !!!

    This must be the worst King show ever !!! that I have seen.
    No no, it's not Elvis...it's Larry King and Priscilla !!!! Well the latter one, we already know for ages that she has nothing to tell or say...except... she claims to know it all, always having been there (which is not true at all) and Larry has fallen in the trap she set up for him. Too bad Larry! And it is also a shame and a mockery of all Elvis fans in the world that were expecting so much of this show, boy oh boy.
    First of all, the show was more like a PROMO of Priscilla's Graceland Visit Tour! instead of an interested full hour with highlights for the world and big announcements of ...breaking story news re. Elvis selling over ONE BILLION records...so far: UNSURPASSED in music ... history !!! Now if that is not news on Aug 16th 2007, then what is ? The earthquake in Peru?
    VERY dissappointed that EPE, BMG and above all, Bob Sillerman, did not take advantage of the fact that another 50 million viewers, next to us 50,000,000 fans were watching....Brilliant opportunity to let the world know this historical fact, especially on this day of Elvis' passing!!! Where are those moguls and false gurus ?
    Needless to say she wiggled Larry into the house explaining stupidity and bathroom talking re. her redecorating...wow man, we should all write to Larry and let him know how disappointed we are of such a great opportunity he had to make another splashing show that millions would have liked...and remembered as much as the King ! It is now obvious that Cilla is only interested in the millions she can get from Bobbie (when he buys out Elvis' entire catalogue from BMG-Sony) and her daughter trying to sell her new duet with her Dad (she obviously needs Daddy's songs and image to make it on her own in show business...) Instead of having Cilla on, it would have been so much better to have interviewed the man who runs now the day-to-day EPE business, Sillerman, who has big plans to further broaden Elvis' fame and venture out into the world (with investments in Vegas, maybe Elvis Centers abroad...franchise it man...) He could have explained it to millions on the air live... to millions and for free (great marketing tactics not taken in account by Jack, Sony a.o. of course not by Cilla or Lisa).
    A waste of time for all EP fans...unless you just landed on this planet and have never heard of the King...or seen some videos, websites, news, etc etc

  12. #12
    TCB Mafia The King's Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,467
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    I always thought that Elvis tour after his death was announced only one, but it?s not true!!! All announced shows:

    confirmed not well known dates for 31st never played tour:
    16th September - Terra Haute
    ????
    20th September - Huntington
    ????
    22nd September - Huntington
    ????
    26th September - Terra Haute
    ????
    28th September - Savannah
    This is very correct, as I have some family members who actually had tickets for one of these shows. It wasn't well known, and I'm not sure why...? Good post!

    Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

  13. #13
    Loving elvis
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel2 View Post
    This must be the worst King show ever !!! that I have seen.
    No no, it's not Elvis...it's Larry King and Priscilla !!!! Well the latter one, we already know for ages that she has nothing to tell or say...except... she claims to know it all, always having been there (which is not true at all) and Larry has fallen in the trap she set up for him. Too bad Larry! And it is also a shame and a mockery of all Elvis fans in the world that were expecting so much of this show, boy oh boy.
    First of all, the show was more like a PROMO of Priscilla's Graceland Visit Tour! instead of an interested full hour with highlights for the world and big announcements of ...breaking story news re. Elvis selling over ONE BILLION records...so far: UNSURPASSED in music ... history !!! Now if that is not news on Aug 16th 2007, then what is ? The earthquake in Peru?
    VERY dissappointed that EPE, BMG and above all, Bob Sillerman, did not take advantage of the fact that another 50 million viewers, next to us 50,000,000 fans were watching....Brilliant opportunity to let the world know this historical fact, especially on this day of Elvis' passing!!! Where are those moguls and false gurus ?
    Needless to say she wiggled Larry into the house explaining stupidity and bathroom talking re. her redecorating...wow man, we should all write to Larry and let him know how disappointed we are of such a great opportunity he had to make another splashing show that millions would have liked...and remembered as much as the King ! It is now obvious that Cilla is only interested in the millions she can get from Bobbie (when he buys out Elvis' entire catalogue from BMG-Sony) and her daughter trying to sell her new duet with her Dad (she obviously needs Daddy's songs and image to make it on her own in show business...) Instead of having Cilla on, it would have been so much better to have interviewed the man who runs now the day-to-day EPE business, Sillerman, who has big plans to further broaden Elvis' fame and venture out into the world (with investments in Vegas, maybe Elvis Centers abroad...franchise it man...) He could have explained it to millions on the air live... to millions and for free (great marketing tactics not taken in account by Jack, Sony a.o. of course not by Cilla or Lisa).
    A waste of time for all EP fans...unless you just landed on this planet and have never heard of the King...or seen some videos, websites, news, etc etc
    I didn't see nothing wrong with the interview and its not right to bash lisa marie either

  14. #14
    International Level srj1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    933

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by The King's Queen View Post
    This is very correct, as I have some family members who actually had tickets for one of these shows. It wasn't well known, and I'm not sure why...? Good post!
    Are you sure they had tickets for the show to actually attend, or that they purchased these as souvenirs after Elvis died? Please confirm.

    There has never been any evidence offered of this September tour (as discussed on another thread).

    http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread....september+tour

    EPE and other records only acknowledge the August tour. I have never considered buying tickets for September as I believe them to be fakes.

  15. #15
    International Level srj1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    933

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel2 View Post
    This must be the worst King show ever !!! that I have seen. ... etc etc
    What's this got to do with this thread about a possible September 1977 tour???

  16. #16
    TCB Mafia jak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    S.C. USA
    Posts
    2,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel2 View Post
    Fabulous and accurate news Peter ! Well done buddy !
    Also of interest to many fans would be this: did EP have new songs in mind for this upcoming tour and did he think of singing another medley upon popular request ? Ask someone please; too bad, now that Charlie is no longer there...but we heard somewhere that he planned on doing a R'n'R medley with Readyteddy, Tutti frutti, Good rockin' tonight, Rip it up a.o. ??? How true is that ? Any new material that he was planning for studio recording ??
    There is no way I could believe Elvis would perform those songs mentioned.He was far past that material in his mind.I doubt if he had any big plans for new studio material.The Moody Blue lp was basically just a grab bag thrown together.Getting Elvis into a studio had become a monumental task.
    Jak

  17. #17
    International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Byron, Georgia
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by srj1967 View Post
    Are you sure they had tickets for the show to actually attend, or that they purchased these as souvenirs after Elvis died? Please confirm.

    There has never been any evidence offered of this September tour (as discussed on another thread).

    http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread....september+tour

    EPE and other records only acknowledge the August tour. I have never considered buying tickets for September as I believe them to be fakes.


    Umm, comfirmed the september tour. How about this? I have checked on the Savannah date of September 28. I asked people who worked at the Civic Center at the time and they said regardless of what any people from EPE have said Elvis was going to be at the Civic Center on September 28, 1977. Tickets were sold just after what would be last tour on June 27th. Tickets were sold out with in two days. Also, they had a copy of the contract that Elvis signed to be there. The contract is now displayed at the Georgia Music Hall of Fame in Macon along with contract of all the appearances Elvis made in Georgia including photos from each of those shows. A photo of Elvis that was taken by a fan outside the Civic Center in Savannah is display with the contracts from the show he did in early 77 and the one that was signed for him to appeared on Sept. 28. That is the proof right there. Also, display is a replicia of the sundial suit and the bicentennial suit.

    Another comes from the book I have titled Elvis Day by Day which does includes the tour from September 1977 in it.

  18. #18
    International Level srj1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    933

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by Elvislennon2004 View Post
    Another comes from the book I have titled Elvis Day by Day which does includes the tour from September 1977 in it.
    I think we may have different editions of Day By Day ...

    I still wouldn't buy the September tickets though.

  19. #19
    International Level srj1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    933

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by Elvislennon2004 View Post
    Also, they had a copy of the contract that Elvis signed to be there. The contract is now displayed at the Georgia Music Hall of Fame in Macon along with contract of all the appearances Elvis made in Georgia including photos from each of those shows. A photo of Elvis that was taken by a fan outside the Civic Center in Savannah is display with the contracts from the show he did in early 77.
    Can we get photos on here somehow??

  20. #20

    re

    I knew that there would be more concerts after that August tour,but didn't know the dates.
    thanks for the information
    I'd like to go to Graceland
    Memphis,Tennessee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The night of August 16,1977
    By GirlHappy19 in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-10-2006, 11:00 AM
  2. Memories of that black day in August 1977
    By Cherokee in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-05-2006, 11:27 AM
  3. Elvis In 1977
    By mike butcher in forum (alternate) Artwork discussion and Work-In-Progress
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-15-2005, 07:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •