Thread: The first real Elvis song

The first real Elvis song

I'm just curious about the first song that was written directly to Elvis. I've heard that You're a Heartbreaker was the first one not Heartbreak Hotel...So?
    Poke a little sock salad...

Re: The first real Elvis song

I always thought it was, Heartbreak Hotel. Regarding, You're a Heartbreaker, you may be right. If you could remember or find your source that said that or even the speculation of it, it would awesome.
    From what I have read, Sam Phillips, had a bunch of songs from other writers and demos from bands laying around. Correct me if I'm wrong but, Elvis was called to record a specific song and it didn't workout but is that just another story like, Elvis recorded, That's All Right Momma, for his mother? ..lol
    Another thing I always think about when Sun Recordings come to mind is, how Elvis at that time kept his ear on some very cool underground sounds like the version of, Hound Dog, he picked wasn't Big Momma's version. That sound was not commercialized until Elvis and yes only Elvis had guts to go 100% capturing what was considered to quote 1950s writers,"Black Music".
    This sound was heard in New Orleans and Beal St, at least 20 years in passing at that point, 1955 but Only Elvis amazing abilility to mix Country with it and his wide range of music taste plus the image for the icing on the cake, made him the perfect candidate to be Crowned, "THE KING OF ROCK N ROLL"..I also think ELVIS PRESLEY, SCOTTY MOORE & BILL BLACK , should also be recognized has the creators of, ROCKABILLY.
    http://www.tcb-world.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic7522_3.gif

Didn't he record 'My Happiness' for his Mum?

Did Mae Axton (sp) write H/H for him?
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by epmoodyblue View Post
    who knows..i always thought it was My Happiness
    But that wasn't written directly for Elvis to sing, which was the original question. I don't know!
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

i wish I had an answer for you, but I don't think that was the first song written for Elvis. Those early songs were mostly covers. Even Hound Dog was written for someone else, although Leiber & Stoller soon wrote quite a few songs jsut for Elvis.
    I wonder if Baby, Let's Play House wasn't the first song written for Elvis?

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by mozzarella View Post
    I'm just curious about the first song that was written directly to Elvis. I've heard that You're a Heartbreaker was the first one not Heartbreak Hotel...So?
    that's a good question

I believe it was ''I forgot to remember to forget''

It was written by Sun staff writers Stan Kesler and Charlie Feathers and I think they specifically wrote it for Elvis.

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Lisarose View Post
    i wish I had an answer for you, but I don't think that was the first song written for Elvis. Those early songs were mostly covers. Even Hound Dog was written for someone else, although Leiber & Stoller soon wrote quite a few songs jsut for Elvis.
    I wonder if Baby, Let's Play House wasn't the first song written for Elvis?
    ''Baby, lets play house'' was recorded by blues guitarist Arthur Gunter in 1954 Elvis covered his version.

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by TCB4ELVIS View Post
    I always thought it was, Heartbreak Hotel. Regarding, You're a Heartbreaker, you may be right. If you could remember or find your source that said that or even the speculation of it, it would awesome.
    From what I have read, Sam Phillips, had a bunch of songs from other writers and demos from bands laying around. Correct me if I'm wrong but, Elvis was called to record a specific song and it didn't workout but is that just another story like, Elvis recorded, That's All Right Momma, for his mother? ..lol
    Another thing I always think about when Sun Recordings come to mind is, how Elvis at that time kept his ear on some very cool underground sounds like the version of, Hound Dog, he picked wasn't Big Momma's version. That sound was not commercialized until Elvis and yes only Elvis had guts to go 100% capturing what was considered to quote 1950s writers,"Black Music".
    This sound was heard in New Orleans and Beal St, at least 20 years in passing at that point, 1955 but Only Elvis amazing abilility to mix Country with it and his wide range of music taste plus the image for the icing on the cake, made him the perfect candidate to be Crowned, "THE KING OF ROCK N ROLL"..I also think ELVIS PRESLEY, SCOTTY MOORE & BILL BLACK , should also be recognized has the creators of, ROCKABILLY.
    I think Heartbreak hotel was first offered to the Wilburn brothers who turned it down then Mae Axton gave it to Elvis.
    I think Elvis was the first to record it

Elvis got the lyric change ''you never caught a rabbit'' from Freddie Bell and the bell boys. He saw them in Vegas in 1956
    Elvis version is very different from Bell's but it's where he got the idea

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    Didn't he record 'My Happiness' for his Mum?

Did Mae Axton (sp) write H/H for him?
    My Happiness was recorded by a lot of people before Elvis

Jon and Sondra Steele had a top 10 record with it in 1948

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    that's a good question

I believe it was ''I forgot to remember to forget''

It was written by Sun staff writers Stan Kesler and Charlie Feathers and I think they specifically wrote it for Elvis.
    Really? that's interesting, Was that the song that they endedup adjusting the tempo to make it seem faster than it was?

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Lisarose View Post
    Really? that's interesting, Was that the song that they endedup adjusting the tempo to make it seem faster than it was?
    yeah, maybe

I recall reading that Sam Phillips wanted a 4 by 4 drum sound or something like that, but then again the song is actually very slow.

Listen to the song yourself

YouTube- Elvis Presley I Forgot To Remember To Forget
    Last edited by Brian; 12-08-2009 at 12:47 AM.

I really can't remember where I got the idea that You're a Heartbreaker was the first song that was written particularly to him, but I'll look it up somewhere...
    Poke a little sock salad...