Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: will Elvis be the basis for a future religion?

Re: will Elvis be the basis for a future religion?

Yeah, I read a fictional story somewhere where extraterrestial life approached the earth and thought Elvis was a God after finding so many statues of him.

I saw a programme once where people in China prayed at a statue of David Beckham!!!!

I ask you!

International Level Nicole Presley's Avatar

That reminds me of something that happened in school a few weeks ago: In religion when the teacher said: "Jesus lives", a girl from my class said for fun: "Elvis lives". She said it because she knows I´m a fan of him. Then the teacher asked me why people say "Elvis lives" even though he´s dead & I said: "They mean they will never forget him".

About the "Elvis relgion" thing: I don´t think it´s good if there´s a religion about Elvis. But I know that some people act like he would be god. I know some people that think that way. I can´t understand it though.

Quote Originally Posted by monk37 View Post
    I think that we are seeing a new religion emerging. Elvisism, Elvites, Presletarianism – something based around Elvis Presley.

The reason that I believe this is the many religious aspects of the Elvis story.

* born in humble circumstances and poverty.
    * sole survivor of a twin birth that his father later claimed to recalling a strange light in the sky on the night of his birth
    * escaped death again at age 5 from a tornado that ripped through Tupelo.
    * He lived in Memphis along a mighty river and became known as The King, giving Pharoh assocations.
    * He recorded his first music on Sun Records – and most religions have sun gods, gods of light
    * He ushered in a great cultural change – broke racial barriers while heightening the generational gap and put overert sex at the cultural forefront
    * His personal image was one of racial tolerance, generosity/charity
    * The kisses, scarves and other items given out to the crowds during concerts is like having a blessing bestowed upon you
    * He was surrounded by a core group of disciples (memphis mafia) who have split into camps and written conflicting books after Elvis’ death
    * there are stories of him having visions, laying on hands healing,
    * there’s been after death sightings of him in person, or just his image appearing as do Jesus, Virgin Mary, etc.
    * Elvis’ image is reproduced in religious type paintings
    * Impersonators or Tribute Artists are priests
    * people make pilgrimages to Graceland – especially for the winter holiday (Jan 8) and the end of summer (Aug 16) holidays – which is already a weeklong festival
    * people have special areas in their homes of their Elvis collections, serving as altar areas or even rooms in their homes which act as temples.

what other religious elements do you see in the Elvis story, that future generations will reinterpret?
    nothing personal or being disrespectful ... i can't find any words so i do this instead ....
    "you don't know it until it hits you"

you're the tea in my coffee - i'm the coke in yer choc

I hope not, but I`m afraid it will happen. There`s already Elvis churches and I think it`s the wrong way to go. He was just an human being like all of us..

TCB Mafia

good points Donut
    It's hard NOT to imagine Elvis as perfect; how else could someone be THAT good looking, THAT talented, THAT generous & THAT charismatic

International Level spanish eyes's Avatar

Elvis once said the image is one thing, the human being is another its hard to live up to an image.

When I read threads like this one I totally understand him. I wish everyone could see past the image and see the man, the man with the most amazing voice, personality, humour and charisma but still just a man.
    You ask how long I love you, I'll tell you true,
    until the Twelfth of Never, I'll still be loving you

LIF

If they have Elvis churches, does this mean someone's gonna start a Michael Jackson church?
    Don't critize what you don't understand son,you never walked in that man's shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by spanish eyes View Post
    Elvis once said the image is one thing, the human being is another its hard to live up to an image.

When I read threads like this one I totally understand him. I wish everyone could see past the image and see the man, the man with the most amazing voice, personality, humour and charisma but still just a man.
    she's said it all amen

Backstage Pass

I think Elvis would be quite shocked at that notion! Let's not forget that he didn't care for the "king" title, either!

Quote Originally Posted by Hominuk View Post
    I think Elvis would be quite shocked at that notion! Let's not forget that he didn't care for the "king" title, either!

Quote Originally Posted by J.P View Post
    nothing personal or being disrespectful ... i can't find any words so i do this instead ....
    just curious how your post is not personal or disrespectful when it's aimed at me?

Why not simply not post?

I took care to make the title of the thread clear so people would be well warned.

If you found the concept offensive, then why not ignore it and let people who do want to discuss it, do so without judgment and disapproval?

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Yeah, I read a fictional story somewhere where extraterrestial life approached the earth and thought Elvis was a God after finding so many statues of him.
    A novel is where I was introduced to the idea

this novel: Armageddon the Musical

http://www.amazon.com/Armageddon-Mus...0502474&sr=1-1

it's set in a post nuclear world and it turns out that Earth is a reality tv show and the ratings are sagging

so the network aliens travel back in time to get Elvis to run for president in the 50's to put off WWIII, but instead, Elvis goes forward in time and discovers he's the centre of a religion that doesn't have the facts quiet right

but of course, him "returning" is the second coming and fulfills the religion's prophesy

it's a very funny book

I'd also like to point out that I totally understand that it would upset Elvis - I already had Joe Esposito and Jerry Schilling yell at me

but it's really not about anyone's preference or beleifs - it's looking at a cultural force and projecting it in the future

there's something like 45,000 working ETAs - who put that down as their income source on tax forms

Elvis has taken on godlike myth in living memory of him

it's only going to increase as more time passes

What would the communion be pepsi and peanut butter and banana sandwiches?lol jk
    "Taking Care Of Business In A Flash!"

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by elvisfreak68 View Post
    If they have Elvis churches, does this mean someone's gonna start a Michael Jackson church?
    Yes, eventually I predict that will happen

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Yes, eventually I predict that will happen
    agree ..the self proclaimed prophet of pop will get one too
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    http://www.tcb-world.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic4801_25.gif[
    ]Elvis i WILL REMEMBER YOU..FOR YOU SING IN MY HEART..AND LIVE IN MY SOUL
    my Selena Website

TCB Mafia

I'd also like to point out that I totally understand that it would upset Elvis - I already had Joe Esposito and Jerry Schilling yell at me
    Why did Schilling and Esposito yell at you?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Why did Schilling and Esposito yell at you?
    I met him and Joe Esposito at an Elvis festival and I asked them that question.

Joe went berserk and yelled and when his voice gave out, he waved Jerry over to continue the screaming, but he was too appalled.

neither of them really listened to the question and they reacted to it as if I was starting a serious religion around Elvis.

Anyway, it was disappointing since they were the only 2 MM guys I had ever wanted to meet.....

the worst part was that my sister, having no clue about the content of the conversation, was taking photos of me being dressed down by the pair.

TCB Mafia

I met him and Joe Esposito at an Elvis festival and I asked them that question.

Joe went berserk and yelled and when his voice gave out, he waved Jerry over to continue the screaming, but he was too appalled.

neither of them really listened to the question and they reacted to it as if I was starting a serious religion around Elvis.

Anyway, it was disappointing since they were the only 2 MM guys I had ever wanted to meet.....

the worst part was that my sister, having no clue about the content of the conversation, was taking photos of me being dressed down by the pair.
    so they misunderstood

I heard Esposito charges $5 dollars for fans to ask him a question is that true?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast