Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: will Elvis be the basis for a future religion?

Re: will Elvis be the basis for a future religion?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    so they misunderstood

I heard Esposito charges $5 dollars for fans to ask him a question is that true?
    not when I saw him

he was a guest speaker and did a Q&A

I approached after the event, because I found I couldn't think of a thing to ask him or Jerry or DJ Fontana during the event.

this was 2005.

I dunno about misunderstood - just didn't listen to get the acutal question

when you get interviewed a lot, questions start to sound the same, so you give your pat answer

also, if you can't think outside what box that is your worldview

I mean, I get why some would find the idea offensive - but it's a good topic to look at from a sociology and cultural anthropology question

you just need to think outside your box a bit

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by monk37 View Post
    not when I saw him

he was a guest speaker and did a Q&A

I approached after the event, because I found I couldn't think of a thing to ask him or Jerry or DJ Fontana during the event.

this was 2005.

I dunno about misunderstood - just didn't listen to get the acutal question

when you get interviewed a lot, questions start to sound the same, so you give your pat answer

also, if you can't think outside what box that is your worldview

I mean, I get why some would find the idea offensive - but it's a good topic to look at from a sociology and cultural anthropology question

you just need to think outside your box a bit
    I get what you are saying

Well, as I said Elvis already is as there have been churches started that worship him.

I wonder if Schilling and Esposito are aware of that

the worst part was that my sister, having no clue about the content of the conversation, was taking photos of me being dressed down by the pair.
    I'm begging you to post some of them here
    'Taking Care of Beaulieu'.

A novel is where I was introduced to the idea

this novel: Armageddon the Musical

http://www.amazon.com/Armageddon-Mus...0502474&sr=1-1

it's set in a post nuclear world and it turns out that Earth is a reality tv show and the ratings are sagging

so the network aliens travel back in time to get Elvis to run for president in the 50's to put off WWIII, but instead, Elvis goes forward in time and discovers he's the centre of a religion that doesn't have the facts quiet right

but of course, him "returning" is the second coming and fulfills the religion's prophesy

it's a very funny book
    Sounds funny for sure.
    But no, I don't think there will be a religion based on Elvis in the future. New generations are less interested in religion and many are atheist, at least in my part of the world so I can't see them looking for new Gods to worship

We could argue that Elvis had already experienced being a religion within his own lifetime, albeit in a relatively disorganized way, and it continues to this day.
    It's hardly surprising that he eventually began experimenting with 'healing' and the laying on of hands.

Nobody is pronouncing him the son of God etc, but the result is the same. There was hysterical adulation at his public appearances, sick children presented for his blessing, and there are multitudinous pilgrimages to his home long after his death, where trinkets bearing his image are sold to expand the coffers of his 'church'.

We could also argue that Elvis's prolific generosity was symptomatic of a guilt-based need to live up to the image which was being projected onto him; he used his gift of wealth to produce fleets of motor vehicles and charitable offerings as effortlessly as loaves and fishes were summoned by Christ for the needy.

Organized 'Elvis Religions' such as the Presleytarian Church tend to be founded in humor, but the comedy is surely inspired by the almost ineffable actuality. I don't see 'Elvis Worship' becoming as widely practiced as Catholicism, for instance, but to address the topic directly- the facts suggest that Elvis is the basis for a current religion and has been for some time.
    The fact that it isn't officially recognized as such (for tax-deductible purposes) is neither here nor there.

With that in mind, has anybody attempted to weigh up how 'Elvis Worship' compares to Scientology, for example, in its estimated number of practitioners and annual financial turnover etc?

I met him and Joe Esposito at an Elvis festival and I asked them that question.

Joe went berserk and yelled and when his voice gave out, he waved Jerry over to continue the screaming, but he was too appalled.

A little disrespectful. Could they not have just answered calmly with something along the lines of "I don't wish to discuss that" or "How ridiculous"

You must have touched a nerve.

Personally I think its ridiculous, but I wouldn't have a go at someone just because they asked the question. It doesn't upset me that much. Each to their own I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by May View Post
    A little disrespectful.
    And ironic, considering their livelihoods are largely reliant upon the religious nature of Elvis's following.
    Perhaps their own guilt about its exploitation is the source of their knee-jerk reaction.

Either that or they're jumpy around the prospect of competition.
    I imagine they'll actively oppose the ordainment of any official Elvis Church until they're absolutely sure they're on the payroll

I think the problem is deeply religious people see comparing a simple mortal to their God as something disrespectful...

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    And ironic, considering their livelihoods are largely reliant upon the religious nature of Elvis's following.
    Perhaps their own guilt about its exploitation is the source of their knee-jerk reaction.

Either that or they're jumpy around the prospect of competition.
    I imagine they'll actively oppose the ordainment of any official Elvis Church until they're absolutely sure they're on the payroll
    Naughty

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Sounds funny for sure.
    But no, I don't think there will be a religion based on Elvis in the future. New generations are less interested in religion and many are atheist, at least in my part of the world so I can't see them looking for new Gods to worship
    now that is an interesting point that absolutely no one has ever raised when I've started this discussion.

thank you

I'm begging you to post some of them here
    I keep asking my sister for copies - as soon as I get them, I will post them

I expect they'd be funny the way he flapped his arms

Nobody is pronouncing him the son of God ...
    Chris Matthews is

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/intervie..._matthews.html

he's also declaring there's a different god and that Elvis was his son on earth

of course, it's based on a translated secret code in various texts

and there's zero reality to that

despite all the Dan Brown fans

A little disrespectful. Could they not have just answered calmly with something along the lines of "I don't wish to discuss that" or "How ridiculous"

You must have touched a nerve.:
    I think they thought that I was trying to start it

I explained about the Armageddon the musical book

and that seemed to freak them out more

so I didn't mention another non-fiction book I'd read about a guy who was recreating his childhood family vacations

and everywhere he went, discovered Elvis - towns with Elvis attractions or he played here or stayed over night here, or go into a place and a song would play, flip through tv channels and there'd be a movie

so him and his college road trip buddy began chanting

Give Us this Day our daily Elvis

and the book changed from his person journey/revelations to one of how deeply immersed Elvis is in our culture.
    I'll look at my bookcase and find the title of this book

and check out these books that also demonstrate a cultural awares of Elvis as approaching holy

http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Presley-...542356&sr=1-44

http://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-El...542374&sr=1-50

SleepyJack

I don`t really see an actual religion,in the traditional sense,springing up around any entertainer..except possibly in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way,either to amuse or cause a little ripple of upset somewhere. I do think sometimes that at some point in the future music may play an important role,as people become more and more disillusioned with with the traditional religions... even in my lifetime the attitude to the catholic church here in Ireland has been changed beyond recognition,or at least people`s attitudes to it have changed...in a major way.
    If it were to happen all over the world then I think that people will always need to fill that spiritual gap that is left behind and music could very well be seen as one of the more "spiritual" options... so maybe one day religion as we know it could change completely.... but I don`t think it will ever be a case of worshipping your celebrity of choice...... but bangin` a set of bongos on the top of a mountain at dawn....Hmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyJack View Post
    but bangin` a set of bongos on the top of a mountain at dawn....Hmmmmm.
    ....and dancing round a campfire naked.

SleepyJack

....and dancing round a campfire naked.

If that`s the future then I`m gonna start stocking-up on fake tan!!!....don`t want everyone seeing my little white bum...even in the light of the campfire!

TCB Mafia

I think they thought that I was trying to start it

I explained about the Armageddon the musical book

and that seemed to freak them out more

so I didn't mention another non-fiction book I'd read about a guy who was recreating his childhood family vacations
    I think this is how you should've phrased the question

if you had said there are some churches that have been set up worshiping Elvis and I think it's ridiculous and outrageous

Then asked Joe Esposito if he thought some people would eventually start more Elvis churches

and if Esposito and Schilling still got mad than you can deduce that they are just naturally rude people.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyJack View Post
    If that`s the future then I`m gonna start stocking-up on fake tan!!!....don`t want everyone seeing my little white bum...even in the light of the campfire!
    Is it wrong that I can picture your "little white bum" even though I have no idea what you look like!!!!

Now stop this frivolity and get back on topic!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I think this is how you should've phrased the question

if you had said there are some churches that have been set up worshiping Elvis and I think it's ridiculous and outrageous

Then asked Joe Esposito if he thought some people would eventually start more Elvis churches

and if Esposito and Schilling still got mad than you can deduce that they are just naturally rude people.
    They probably just misunderstood the question and the point of the question-knowing that Elvis would not like people worshiping him like a god......... it probably just was a misunderstanding of the point.
    Work in Progress!

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    They probably just misunderstood the question and the point of the question-knowing that Elvis would not like people worshiping him like a god......... it probably just was a misunderstanding of the point.
    right they did

But that would've been a better way to phrase the question

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast