Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 89 of 89

Thread: what will Elvis's legacy be like in 10 years?

  1. #81
    Backstage Pass
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    207

    Re: what will Elvis's legacy be like in 10 years?

    exactly dounut. otherwise there wouldn't be the need for expensive laswsuits they have files all these years to make it as big a monopoly as possible. the more they sell , junk or not, the more they make. imo, the tasteless had gotten out of control. when Lisa sold out, there was a huge loss of control and it will only get worse. well maybe it can't. but that's to be expected. at least with Lisa and Priscilla as the face of his representation, there is a more personal touch to the history of him. when they are not there, none of it will be.

  2. #82
    Tupelo Cake Donut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: what will Elvis's legacy be like in 10 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_One_E. View Post
    exactly dounut. otherwise there wouldn't be the need for expensive laswsuits they have files all these years to make it as big a monopoly as possible. the more they sell , junk or not, the more they make. imo, the tasteless had gotten out of control. when Lisa sold out, there was a huge loss of control and it will only get worse. well maybe it can't. but that's to be expected. at least with Lisa and Priscilla as the face of his representation, there is a more personal touch to the history of him. when they are not there, none of it will be.
    That's true and I understand that for the people in charge now Elvis means only business and money because they don't have any sentimental attachement to him. But they have had so many other sources of income related to Elvis that they could have been more selective in what they sold and what they did, maybe not at first but as time passed they surely could have afforded to do it. The thing is greed have not allowed them to care about it, either this or they were as tacky as many of the things they have been making money off.
    _________________

  3. #83
    Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    in the cold Kentucky rain
    Posts
    7,513

    Re: what will Elvis's legacy be like in 10 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I don't think Elvis' estate would have any say in what Sony puts out regardless of whether Elvis sold the royalty rights.

    I do think even if Elvis did not sell the artist royalty rights on his recordings and his estate got the income for them they'd still sell the ducks and other items.
    Agreed.

    IMO, EPE, they do not look at Elvis as a serious creative recording superstar that he was, they look at him as a brand, and all they see is what they can make off of his name. I mean seriously Elvis ducks, if Elvis were alive i gurantee you he would be outraged.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977


  4. #84
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: what will Elvis's legacy be like in 10 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    This is not new but it gives you an idea of where the money comes from.

    http://sec.edgar-online.com/ckx-inc/...Section21.aspx


    I can't make this bigger but their major income comes from licensing fees and royalties.
    Actually from what I saw of this accounting-for the years 2002 and 2003 the Graceland retail operation was the biggest revenue for the operation-in 2004 the retail end dropped from 34-35% to 27% and the licensing and royalties increased from 29% to 32%-did that trend continue I wonder?
    Or did the retail end rebound?
    Work in Progress!

  5. #85
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: what will Elvis's legacy be like in 10 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    Agreed.

    IMO, EPE, they do not look at Elvis as a serious creative recording superstar that he was, they look at him as a brand, and all they see is what they can make off of his name. I mean seriously Elvis ducks, if Elvis were alive i gurantee you he would be outraged.
    I found this in an article which chronicles the marketing of Elvis....
    The Colonel, who had a large measure of control in the licensing, was not very discerning about what type of products were approved. In addition, bootleggers manufactured Elvis products illegally to make a quick dollar off the fans. As a result, many items were produced that were ill-suited to Elvis' image or were just plain tasteless -- Elvis Presley Sweat, for instance.
    The sale of Elvis has never been pretty, never been in good taste-while alive or now in death.
    Work in Progress!

  6. #86
    Tupelo Cake Donut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: what will Elvis's legacy be like in 10 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Actually from what I saw of this accounting-for the years 2002 and 2003 the Graceland retail operation was the biggest revenue for the operation-in 2004 the retail end dropped from 34-35% to 27% and the licensing and royalties increased from 29% to 32%-did that trend continue I wonder?
    Or did the retail end rebound?
    I don't know, KPM I couldn't find more information, but I wonder why the retail end dropped
    _________________

  7. #87
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: what will Elvis's legacy be like in 10 years?

    Found this concerning 2009 revenue of Sillermans Interests and Elvis Presley business contributions to it:
    http://ir.ckx.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=382410
    The way I read the graphs on this page is that the Elvis end of Sillermans empire seems to be very productive.

    Commenting on the financial results, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Robert F.X. Sillerman said, "I am pleased to report that our businesses continue to perform well in this challenging economic environment. Our core business units maintain their dominant positions, with a vibrant pipeline for the future. 19 Entertainment's American Idol remains the #1 rated show on television by a wide margin. The Elvis business remains strong, with the addition of the Las Vegas based Cirque du Soleil show late this year poised to add dynamic growth. The strength of our overall business, and our balance sheet, have permitted us to accelerate our development pipeline. Exciting new initiatives, that have yet to contribute to our results, provide real potential for impact in the years to come."

    Segment Results
    Work in Progress!

  8. #88
    Tupelo Cake Donut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: what will Elvis's legacy be like in 10 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    The Elvis business remains strong, with the addition of the Las Vegas based Cirque du Soleil show late this year poised to add dynamic growth.
    Yeah, I was going to comment on that but since it has just began I guess we'll have to wait to see if it's a success.
    _________________

  9. #89
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    280

    Re: what will Elvis's legacy be like in 10 years?

    i can only say that for ne in ten yeras JEHOVAH GOD willing i will still be going to graceland listening and watching the latest and i'm sure many if not all of you will be doing the same nobody can resist E.P. but will the next gens appreciate him and keep the fire burning i sure think so as i meet some every year at graceland and they are just as serious as us ol fans believe you me so i think in ten years it will still be strong enough to where we will still seeking to know more about him .

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •