Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: what will Elvis's legacy be like in 10 years?

Cadillac King

Re: what will Elvis's legacy be like in 10 years?

I am 20 years old, and have been an Elvis fan since I was 3.

Elvis' Legacy will live on forever. He will always be Number 1.
    Elvis is The King!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_One_E. View Post
    I wonder about this? Lisa has little interest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_One_E. View Post
    , and her children seem pretty removed from it as well.
    I think Lisa has an interest-but his legacy is what it is... from what he did and the music he made.
    Work in Progress!

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar

Thats hard to answer because as time goes by it could make Elvis just that more distant from modern music, and kids today.
    But he has stood the test of time so far, and I know I will have the passion for his music so to me, that is all that matters.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

This is the point, most of the cr*p music around today, nobody will remember in a few years. Elvis is still going strong 32 years on...........
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Elvis is part of music history and there will always be people interested in quality music so maybe it will get to a point when people will forget about the Elvis rubber ducks and all that stuff but his music will keep selling forever.

Nice to think Donut, but with EPE carrying on selling them, not likely!!!!!!!

I suppose there's not much they can do 'musically' when they don't own the rights
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Sure, that's why I don't care much for them anyway. To me Elvis and EPE are two different things.

Cadillac King

As long as there are fans Elvis legacy is safe. So I guess it's up to us to keep it that way. We should come up with things to keep Elvis in the pic and to teach others about the good sides of Elvis. Up to now mostly the bad parts are known to outsiders. Once they get to learn Elvis in a different way they'll appriciate him just as much as we do. Especially the youngsters are important to keep his legacy alive. They never knew the man as we do and only hear the contoversial stories, so it's up to us to teach them about the real Elvis and what he stands for.

Christel (tce)

Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    Nice to think Donut, but with EPE carrying on selling them, not likely!!!!!!!

I suppose there's not much they can do 'musically' when they don't own the rights
    Unfortunatly they sell them because someone is buying them-if the fans quit buying the stuff it would solve the problem.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Unfortunatly they sell them because someone is buying them-if the fans quit buying the stuff it would solve the problem.
    It would be intereting to know what is the average age of the buyers. Do you think there are many young people that buy that Elvis stuff? I'm not sure those products will be attractive for new fans in 10 or 20 years I think they'll need to think of new ways to exploit his name.

Backstage Pass

and I'm sure they will. but if his popularity wanes, you can't sell things related to him. sure there will always be a certain amount of fans. just like there are people who still collect Shirley Temple things. but what the quality of his legacy is what I wonder about the most. also there are fewer and fewer people around who spent a lot of time with him. many people go to events to talk to them. they are a draw. and eventually they will be few and far between as they age or die off.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Sure, that's why I don't care much for them anyway. To me Elvis and EPE are two different things.
    To me too Donut, to me too.

It would be intereting to know what is the average age of the buyers. Do you think there are many young people that buy that Elvis stuff? I'm not sure those products will be attractive for new fans in 10 or 20 years I think they'll need to think of new ways to exploit his name.
    I do not think it is young people (or any certain age)who buy most of this stuff-I actually think its the fans who think they must have everything with Elvis's name on it-so it may be a cross section of people who buy it.
    Exploiting Elvis's name has been the name of the game since 1956-so EPE did not invent it......... I actually saw something interesting at a flea market the other day it was an emply pint cardboard ice cream container-with Bing Crosbys picture and name on it-for Valley Farms Ice Cream ......Now I know old Bing was into a lot of things but I'm sure he knew nothing about Ice cream (except what flavors he liked)-yet his likeness was plastered all over 1000s of things during and after his career.
    Its just the nature of how a celebritites likeness gets used.. good or bad.
    Now if old Bing could still attract enought interest for such things as are marketed in Elvis's name-he just might have a rubber duckie with his name on it.
    So it is a measure of the celebrity in a way-I know it can be tasteless-but its just the way of it.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I do not think it is young people (or any certain age)who buy most of this stuff-I actually think its the fans who think they must have everything with Elvis's name on it-so it may be a cross section of people who buy it.
    Exploiting Elvis's name has been the name of the game since 1956-so EPE did not invent it......... I actually saw something interesting at a flea market the other day it was an emply pint cardboard ice cream container-with Bing Crosbys picture and name on it-for Valley Farms Ice Cream ......Now I know old Bing was into a lot of things but I'm sure he knew nothing about Ice cream (except what flavors he liked)-yet his likeness was plastered all over 1000s of things during and after his career.
    Its just the nature of how a celebritites likeness gets used.. good or bad.
    Now if old Bing could still attract enought interest for such things as are marketed in Elvis's name-he just might have a rubber duckie with his name on it.
    So it is a measure of the celebrity in a way-I know it can be tasteless-but its just the way of it.
    I know they didn't invent it but times change and there will come a day when fans from the time when Elvis was alive won't be here any more. As for the tasteless stuff it doesn't have to necessarily be that way, you just have to visit Frank Sinatra's official website for example and see the difference. They don't present him like a "clown".

SleepyJack

As long as there are people with ears there will always be Elvis Presley fans.

That was very simple, but elequently put SJ...........wonderful

I know they didn't invent it but times change and there will come a day when fans from the time when Elvis was alive won't be here any more. As for the tasteless stuff it doesn't have to necessarily be that way, you just have to visit Frank Sinatra's official website for example and see the difference. They don't present him like a "clown".
    Frank never let his managers-present him in anyway shape or form which Frank himself did not approve-unlike Elvis who turned all business over to Parker who could care less what Elvis's name was used to promote-my point is Elvis did not tell Parker to stop no matter what the product or promotion.............the precedent was set by Parker and Elvis.
    I can not assume that Elvis today would be upset-when he was not upset about these things when alive especially since his daughter and grandkids are the ones getting the benefit.
    If Elvis had actually told Parker I do not want "Teddy Bear Perfume" sold or ashtrays, or cheap guitars, cheap jewelry, or lamps, etc which Parker had deals for in the 50s-I would see it as you do-but Parker had deals with hundreds of vendors for product which was just as tasteless.
    I agree I do not like the tasteless but its not like it Elvis was not involved with such products while alive and reaped profit himself (althought not as much as his family is getting since Parker is not getting a good chunk)
    Work in Progress!

Elvis will always be here. He is in history books and being studied in colleges everywhere. Every day there are new fans. And Ive never known anyone who after becoming a fan ever stoped, and if so they always come back. He is still the whole package, and always will be.
    I wouldnt come back out there for love nor money.

Backstage Pass

Quote Originally Posted by italianfan View Post
    The way i see it, is aslong as EPE keep reaching out to new fans, there will always be Elvis.

Like myself for example, im 21 i have 60 years + of being an Elvis fan.
    Nice post! Happy to see someone so young loving Elvis! I agree with you....there will always be Elvis!

my niece is 16 and she's an Elvis fan

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast