Thread: AMA USED 1977 LASER JUMPSUIT IDEA

AMA USED 1977 LASER JUMPSUIT IDEA

Starting at 3:20 you could see what I'm talking about.

Bill Belew interview below

Q : You worked on future costumes.

" Well the last thing I was working on and we had actually done a prototype of it. And, it was called a laser suit. And I had met an electrician who was into lasers. And lasers at that point were still relatively new. And laser shows were becoming very big. And so, I designed what I thought was going to be ultimately the jewel suit. It was called the diamond suit. And, what we did, there were certain points, and it had very large stones that would tell him where he could puncture himself. And that's where the laser would shoot. And we had these strategically placed on the suit. And as I say, you know, whenever he would touch himself then the laser beams. And, we had it almost to the point where it was ready to be shown to him. And I was in fact, the morning I heard of his death, I was on my way to the studio because we were gonna put it on the figure. And the electrician and I were going to test it. And, that's it. "
    http://www.tcb-world.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic7522_3.gif

Re: AMA USED 1977 LASER JUMPSUIT IDEA

who knows if elvis would of agreed to wear that laser thingy.or tossed the idea out the window..i dont like the laser idea
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    http://www.tcb-world.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic4801_25.gif[
    ]Elvis i WILL REMEMBER YOU..FOR YOU SING IN MY HEART..AND LIVE IN MY SOUL
    my Selena Website

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar

Imagining Elvis during the CBS Special: that would have been one large lasersuit? I read that Elvis didn't come in to Bill to try on the new suits, so Bill had to guess Elvis' size instead.

So I don't think that that suit would have made it in 1977. And besides that: it wouldn't match Elvis' 1977 repertoire anymore. A suit like that would have been great in 1971/1972.

The AMA suit looks nice (just like Rihanna).
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Imagining Elvis during the CBS Special: that would have been one large lasersuit?
    oh come on buddy albertelvis wasint that overweight a little tummy skinny legs..elvis was more bloated swollen than fat due to water retention..and medications he was taking at the time..bad colon prob wil cause ur tummy to extent more..
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    my Selena Website

Perhaps the most ridiculous idea to have ever been mooted in the Elvis world.

He was already enough of a sad, pathetic caricature of his former self by '77 (the world's first Elvis impersonator, some would say) and if this laser suit had come into being ... well, there are no words to describe how patently ludicrous he would have looked.

They very idea ...
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar

Weither you like the idea or not, that is an impressive idea having that. Lasers to draw the fan right to you with different colors. Rihanna is cool with that. Just red. I would of gone more of other colors beside red like blue, green, yellow, white and so on. Then having the colors change all the time. That would be an idea for Miley to do.

dont like the idea simply because elvis didint need ant extra stupid. gimmicks to electrify impress an audience...most of his jumpers had lots of sparkly glitter on them ..the laser would of been more apropriate for MJ
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    my Selena Website

For some reason this story is very hard to kill, just like the myth of the second "Mexican Sundial Suit". Bill Belew was guest of honor during a fan club meeting in Rotterdam in 2005. There he told the audience the same story. Not because he brought it up, but because the fans kept asking him about it.
    For some reason Bill made the choice to tell the fans exactly what they wanted to hear.....

A few months later I had a more private meeting with designer Gene Doucette (who was the actual costume designer for Elvis after 1971). I asked him about the "Laser Suit" and he just shook his head. He said there were no such plans or designs, simply because it was impossible. Elvis would look like an astronaut during a moon walk, with all kinds of cables and wires attached to him. Remember we are talking 1977.

They idea they were toying with was a jumpsuit with tiny mirrors in different shapes and a laser show installation as stage lighting. The mirrors on the suit would catch the light and that would create the effect of a laser suit.

So please forget this story about a "Laser Suit"

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    For some reason this story is very hard to kill, just like the myth of the second "Mexican Sundial Suit". Bill Belew was guest of honor during a fan club meeting in Rotterdam in 2005. There he told the audience the same story. Not because he brought it up, but because the fans kept asking him about it.
    For some reason Bill made the choice to tell the fans exactly what they wanted to hear.....

A few months later I had a more private meeting with designer Gene Doucette (who was the actual costume designer for Elvis after 1971). I asked him about the "Laser Suit" and he just shook his head. He said there were no such plans or designs, simply because it was impossible. Elvis would look like an astronaut during a moon walk, with all kinds of cables and wires attached to him. Remember we are talking 1977.

They idea they were toying with was a jumpsuit with tiny mirrors in different shapes and a laser show installation as stage lighting. The mirrors on the suit would catch the light and that would create the effect of a laser suit.

So please forget this story about a "Laser Suit"
    thanks for the info about that useless laser thingy..ur right elvis couldint handle all those cables around him..i mean he couldint handle that white jumper with those long strings flowing down..cant remember the name of that suit..u know the suit he used at the LA forum in 70 elvis that night was having probs he got stuck entangled in all those long strings ..during the show charlie hodge was helping untangle elvis from that dreaded suit
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    my Selena Website

The Laser Suit is currently being sewn together by BK Enterprices to a swedish ETA.

http://elvismatters.com/index.php?pagina=nieuws&id=8130