Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: C.B.S. concert

C.B.S. concert

Ihave just watched this concert the other day on a new d.v.d.Iknow a lot of people like this concert but im afraid im not one of them.Yes i know he still had a great voice but to see my hero embarrising himself trying to dance was too much for me .Idont think this release should be given to the general public,it would only give them more ammunition to ridicule the king.Sorry for being negative but thats how i feel.

That's a tough one. I know how you feel, but it would be nice to own a legitimate copy in great quality - maybe the FTD label will do it one day before we all get to old
    Take care,

Paul
    Paul's Elvis Page

Cadillac King
    It's part of the history...that is what makes it important. We can't gloss over the 'unfortunate' times in Elvis' life. Yes, some parts are difficult to watch, the worst part for me, and I avoid it, is the end where Vernon is speaking from his office.
    Carolyn
    "Walk A Block In My Socks"

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    I love watching the special and the outtakes, but I can understand that point of view.

However, there are plenty of people, myself included, who believe that a new edit of this footage could really do justice to Elvis' legacy and actually improve many people's perception of the way he was and what he could do so close to the end of his life.

It is sad, but it's also impressive in many ways.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geordie
    Ihave just watched this concert the other day on a new d.v.d.Iknow a lot of people like this concert but im afraid im not one of them.Yes i know he still had a great voice but to see my hero embarrising himself trying to dance was too much for me .Idont think this release should be given to the general public,it would only give them more ammunition to ridicule the king.Sorry for being negative but thats how i feel.
    This topic has been much talked about, there are so many different opinions out there it is untrue. Saying that I would like a good copy just to complete my collection, I have a DVD version but the quality doesn't do it any justice.

As for the concert itself, yes it makes me sad to see Elvis In such poor health but it had been that way for several month's, many feel justified with the Image saying that Elvis died a couple of month's later, but Elvis' death has been attributed to prescribed medication, how long would Elvis have appeared In such a way had it not been?

Surely Elvis was accutely aware and his staff of his medical condition, this is not a man just over eating it is clear that his physical condition is deteriorating in a rapid manner. Action could and should have been taken, as for those around Elvis at the time they should be ashamed of themselves for not taking stock of the situation, I know Elvis was stubborn but he needed protected from himself and they clearly didn't take the appropriate action.

Elvis could sing until the very last, many will be be able to give you chapter and verse on this subject and for the most part I agree, I do feel by this point It was hit and miss and this was partly due to the medication Elvis was taking and the mood he was In.

On the whole I think there will come a day when the CBS Special can be released without to much fuss and when it benefits EPE and they require some more money! until then and only then it will be realeased whether you like it or not

International Level
    Hi Carolyn
    i am with you on this one i also seen this one few weeks ago, and i didn't
    like how he looked, he did sing very well,, but he could'nt talk it is very sad
    to see him like this.

if they want to see more of Elvis in concert then they need to release more
    concert's from "that's the way it is" and "Elvis on tour"

these would be better release video concert's to get, imo.

sorry guy's i feel the same way about Elvis in 1977.
    Curtis Simpkins

Long Live Vinyl. :worthy:

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    Yes, the 'dancing and shaking' parts are hard to watch. If only he could have seen himself doing so. The dialogues are even worse. Most of the uptempo songs are -in my opinion- lousy performances.

But what's left are those amazing ballads and gospels. Those are the moments that made the CBS Special a real treasure.
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

I have never seen the CBS concert the whole way through.

What breaks my heart is when he sings 'My Way' - it is on 'This is Elvis' - it is six weeks before he leaves us all and he seems to know he hasn't got long left.

What a fantastic performance of 'My Way' - It leaves all his other versions of this song standing.

Then half way through it cuts to when he was younger.

Just very sad. But at the same time what an amazing perfromance of that song.

I just wanted to hug him - like in some way it would have helped
    For Elvis: 'I hear your voice, simply divine. I have no choice, I'll tell you why. I love you without trying. It has always been this way. I love you without trying.And in my heart you'll stay.'

Just my thoughts

I have to say that I love all the concert even the times in it when Elvis seemed to be a little confused. I have shown my children this and their friends and my friends too. I am not embarrased to show them the condition elvis' health or physic was in at that time, something we all know and cannot escape since it was before and after his passing widely published in the media for all to see. I am always proud to say "just listen to his voice" although the image may not be how most remember Elvis it will always remain the voice that took the world by storm. I am not against this concert being released for public viewing after all everyone knows Elvis became over weight and was taking presciption drugs and that he died from an heart attack but nothing ever stopped him from giving his fans what they wanted to see even if he was a little out of sorts towards the end.

Just my opinion

love and peace,
    Susan.
    Yesterday was the past and tomorrow is the future but today is the present ..thats why we call it the gift"

"Never listen to a liar it takes too long to find out the truth and my time is too precious"

"Without you I am only half of me"

It's funny--the little shake Elvis gave at the end of Hound Dog to me is a real highlight. I've never watched that part and felt bad for him in the least, when quite a few other moments do have that effect on me. I think it's great. Of course, it is extended in the special by showing the different camera angles, but it's cool to see him let loose like that. He looked more limber and loose there than he did in the Aloha show. I'm not saying he couldn't move that way then, but he didn't.

My point of view exactly on Hound Dog, Bobby!

I understand how many of us have mixed feelings about this TV Special.

But I think a re-edit from scratch - like they did the Aloha Show - could really make a world of diff'rence.
    The thing is, that the 1977 CBS edit really was done very sloppy, and the entire production could've looked a whole lot better.
    On top of that, i.m.o. they even made a completely wrong choise in selecting the songs (performances) for the special.

Not a tribute to the greatest entertainer in the world at all, and considering that it's a **** shame it was ever released in this form in the first place.

But, despite the effect it might have on the overall public, I truly believe a newly edited "In Concert Special" is a must!

If not released in the stores, it should be via the FTD label somehow.

Whether we like it or not, it's an important, and sometimes very good part of Elvis' career.

Sonny

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny
    My point of view exactly on Hound Dog, Bobby!

In fact, in a thread from a month or so ago in which we gave possible tracklistings for a revised special, I suggested using that segment of the song in the opening of the show. So yeah...I kinda like it.

I really haven't added my thoughts on this thread, simply because (as stated), ........... this has been discussed in detail here on the MB on other threads.

----------------------------

The "Hound Dog" moment ----------> is quintessential EP.

I think it's great on a number of levels.

EP himself said, according to Billy Smith I believe (but don't quote me on this one), ........ that he didn't want to be 40 years old and still singing "Hound Dog" on-stage.

He did, however, .................

To paraphrase another anonymous source: "EP never cured anybody's cancer or made contributions on this level, ............. but he sure brought a lot of HAPPINESS to many people in this world." I cannot disagree.

- Capt. "EL."

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    I know that he's in fact doing a parody of himself during those shaking parts. But the problem is that not everybody who's watching that is understanding it. It's very easy to watch that segment and think that Elvis still wanted to shake, rattle and roll like he was in his early 20s.

Especially because CBS decided to mix some laughing of fans through segments like that, and it's like those people were more laughing AT him or with out of pity. Of course those shots are unlikely to be filmed at that very moment (like many other fan footage mixed thoughout the show).

But I just want people to see him at his very best, and segments like that (without knowing how Elvis saw himself during that period) can quite easily be misinterperted by non-Elvisfans.
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Wink

I agree.Im glad you brought up the subjet cuz I din't want to sound too critical.I cried when I saw it.

Veronik

Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    I know that he's in fact doing a parody of himself during those shaking parts. But the problem is that not everybody who's watching that is understanding it.
    I must agree that EIC can be misunderstood.

This is also precisely why, IMO, ............ a revamp / new approach in presenting it properly is a necessity. I personally think that it can be done & quite successfully ......... and that EPE's current approach of sweeping it under the rug is actually having a more detrimental effect on a number of different levels in the long run.

- Capt. "EL."

Cadillac King
    I just wanted to add a thought to this thread.
    The make-up they had plastered over Elvis' face was atrocious......the make up 'artist' has a lot to answer for. If EIC was ever re-released, I'm sure as well as sound wise, and different camera angles, they could do something to at least use new technology to tone down the make up.
    Carolyn
    "Walk A Block In My Socks"

Backstage Pass
    EIC contains some of the greatest ever filmed performances of Elvis - specifically How Great Thou Art and Unchained Melody.
    I also like several other songs, even the `shaking' bits in I Got A Woman and Hound Dog.
    Although there are poor songs and difficult dialogue, a re-edit release on FTD is essential.
    rick
    rick

I tend to agree with the varied comments that it was tough to watch OUR KING in such distress in certain parts of the show and in other parts you could tell he knew he couldnt do a darn thing about it !
    Im with you Sonny that a new , fresh Aloha style reworking, could really do his reputation with the cynics alot of good also it would be nice for us true fans to finally have a good quality cut of that infamous show... its more a case of what they have'nt give us that really sucks

Inspite of the obvious health problems, it seems Elvis is still enjoying being up on that stage in June 1977.

The smile on his face when he's shaking his butt off during 'Hound Dog' would further substantiate that.

The CBS material not only evidences some powerful performances, not to mention the definitive 'My Way' (by any performer ever), but also shows that Elvis is not as out of it as some would have you believe.

The humour is still there, from the well rehearsed "How Do You Like It So Far" preceeding 'Unchained Melody', to the comment about the wedding scene in 'Blue Hawaii' being so realistic that for 2 years he thought he was married to the chick.

He asks why Sherril (Nielson's) suit is prettier than his and is hillarious when he jokes that he's gonna ask one of his bodyguards to come up and sing 'They Call The Wind Mariah' and then follows up with a reasuring "nah".

Inspite of the sadness that accompanies the CBS material (and of course I can appreciate the view points expressed by others here), there is also a lot to enjoy from what Elvis gives of himself up on that stage.

"I've got to please the crowd, excite them, make them happy"...........................and he did, even in June 1977.
    Last edited by spinout-designs; 11-24-2004 at 10:54 AM.

'What, honey ? ..... one scarf for the balcony ?! ........... OK ........... gimme a baseball ! ............ there's no way unless you put a rock in it'.

(Las Vegas - 7th December 1975)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast