Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: C.B.S. concert

To Leroy: Nobody forced Elvis to sing those songs! Nobody forced Elvis to go onstage! And in the cbs special you don't see Elvis the human being, you see Elvis the junkie!

Orwell....nobody forced him????? hmmmm....we all know that it was the old colonel made this deal with CBS! And he only did that for the money. The spending habbits of Parker and Elvis were so high, that the parker was forced to sign that deal, no matter how bad of shape Elvis was in. We all know that Parker on some day walked into Elvis' room and saw that Elvis' head was in a bucket of ice and that he was very sick, in no shape to go on stage...the reaction of Parker? He told the bodyguards and Dokter Nick, that the man has to be on stage in the next few hours, no matter what!
    Cause Parker allready tought about the money problems, when they had to cancel the concerts, and he needed that money soooooooo badly.
    If only elvis had lost this colonel parker back 1976...maybe and i say maybe, Elvis lived a lot longer! He needed a long break from all those concerts, and had to come back in a much stronger way than the last 3 years of his life...but that never happend, he went on stage in june 1977 to this **** special, for the love of his fans, not for that old money man Parker.
    In fact if you look back, Parker did the same thing in the 60's, he almost killed the biggest entertainer/singer in Hollywood, by letting him do the most silly movies ever made in the late 60's. And in the 70's Parker started good, letting his man made his comeback in Vegas, than the movie TTWII and than the on tour shows across the country, wich they also filmed in 1972 and that movie won a golden globe! And from there on the new york shows and as a pure Highlight the Aloha shows, a show that was watched by 1,5 billion people!! and after that show Parker made the worst mistake ever for a entertainer he put Elvis back in Vegas to do same old trick from the last 4 years..and made him a oldies act... to do hits from the past in concert for the next 4 years...instead of making a deal to do a world tour, the demand for this was so high, but the demand of money for Parker was even higher, infact it was so high that nobody could meet that price the colonel asked, even worse: He sold the complete catologue prior to 1972 back to RCA...so all the profits from the recordings prior to 1972 went to RCA instead of the artist who made those recordings famous: Elvis Presley!!!.
    How stupid can you be? And 3/4 years later they needed money again...and what came of that? YES that CBS SPECIAL.

I can't blame the old colonel. He had realized that Elvis was as good as dead and so he tried to get every dollar out of him he could. Parker knew that Elvis wouldn't pull himself out like he had done so many times before. Mr. van Kuijk knew that his client was way too deep into trouble to be saved again. The only one who could have stopped that drama was Elvis himself, but he on that stage he was already lost. Parker just realized that and made the best of this situation. I don't think that he even believed that Elvis would live to the day that special was shown on tv. I really can't blame Parker, he was just realistic. Elvis could have stopped all that jazz. He could have taken a break, loan some money from the bank, sell everything he didn't need, fire all the people he didn't need and cut down his lifestyle. He could have gone into a clinic to dry out and loose weight. After six or seven month he could have made another record and played some shows. Everybody is responsable for himself. It was his fault alone. Elvis himself had screwed up his life, nobody else! Think about that.

Are you related to the parker family? Man you almost idolize him, parker sure did some good things in the 50's and early 60's. but killed the artist in the 70's. I have no good words about parker's deals in the 70's, why didn't elvis showed up on some talk shows? cause parker asked to much money, he only cared about himself!! And sure Elvis was the only person who could save himself, but he needed some good directions by his friends and manager, but that manager only directed him in the wrong direction. Nuff said about parker!

Where to even start...so many opinions given already. I have the '77 CBS VHS and have only watched it twice. It is painful to watch and see how ill Elvis was and how difficult for him to try and perform as he had for so many years. But the point to me is that he did to it to the best of his ability and no one can contest how wonderful his voice still sounded.

The whole world has already seen this concert so I don't understand why a new edited version would help. To me as a very long-standing fan, it was part of him and must be accepted as it was. Most of the fans adored him no matter what and that must have cheered him at the end.

I don't understand how anyone can defend Colonel Parker in any way, shape or form. Being a BUSINESS MAN doesn't excuse or give license to anyone to use another human being in the way he used Elvis.

Nothing will change what happened to Elvis. In my eyes he was a very innocent young man starting out brought up by a poor (not trash) (many people equate "poor" with "trash") family none of which were wordly-wise. The people who surrounded him his whole life were not wordly-wise either so in his very narrow world, where was this poor man supposed to be able to grow naturally like the rest of us?

So he was weak in the way that he couldn't get rid of the colonel when he should have. It was part of his up-bringing and we were all "brained-washed" as well in OUR up-bringing but didn't have even a fraction of the pressure he was under all his life as a performer so what makes any of us think we would have done better?

Give the man credit for his beauty, his talents, his loving nature and let the rest be!!!!!

right about that!

I think you're right, Diane - the Colonel has exploited Elvis.. It's a bit sour - I'm a Dutchman myself, and a person from my country is responsible for Elvis' problems.

I think that the CBS Special is great - he's sweating a lot and having problems with articulating; but the singing voice is great! Elvis still was a beautiful man; he also showed he could play both the guitar ?nd the piano.

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar
    The accoustic section was great in my opinion. I saw him do an acoustic section in mid 1976, with "That's Allright", "Blue Christmas" and one other, and it was great! He was a little heavy then but when I saw him on the CBS special it made me cry( I was twelve and Elvis was my hero). I liked the music and played the album quite a bit. I rewatched this special for the first time this year and it was extremely difficult to watch. There are some highlights, (Unchained, My Way, How Great Thou Art, Hurt) , but overall it is tough to listen to also. I hear it and see it and it makes me deeply sad to see him trying to please his fans and in so much pain and discomfort ( even with the drugs, it had to be almost unbearable!) and to hear him belt out some of those songs is quite a feat. He definately did this for the fans. I heard that he said backstage before this concert (Man, How do I get myself into these things?) I don't think he wanted to do it, but like always he put his best foot forward and got on with it without complaint. The movies were the same way. You've got to respect a man that has that level of committment to his obligations and fans.
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345