Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Alanna Nash book update #1

Re: New Alanna Nash book update #1

Quote Originally Posted by Menwithbrokenhearts View Post
    "The most funny part of her story is when she says something like "he never believed that all was over between us""

I've heard her say that and it is funny. Dillusions of grandeur.
    Dillusions of grandeur..its sad that people will go out here and spend there hard earned cash on this trash of a bookie
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    http://www.tcb-world.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic4801_25.gif[
    ]Elvis i WILL REMEMBER YOU..FOR YOU SING IN MY HEART..AND LIVE IN MY SOUL
    my Selena Website

Oh my! After this review, I'm cancelling my order!

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/revi...ay_house.shtml

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I feel sorry for Lisa, and her children, when books like this are released. Probably most of the stuff isn't true, after all these years, what could there be new to write about.
    A new book is coming out about Paul Newman and Steve McQueen-and the big controverisal selling point is it claims they were lovers at one time???
    It never ends!!!
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisarose View Post

I read the review the otherday.This is one book,I won't be buying!
    The One and Only King of Rock'n'Roll.

well i wont b buying this anymore!! Booooooo!!! Alana!!!!
    Play it James!

Cadillac King

Quote Originally Posted by Lisarose View Post

Thanks for posting the book review.

I knew Alanna Nash had written a few books 'about' Elvis but was really not sure about this one. Then, after reading it would be 700+ pgs. I figured it just might be similar to another one of her lengthy books - Revelations - and decided against it.

I got a kick out of one of the quotes attributed to Ms. Nash found in the review:

"I couldn't careless what people think of me. I didn't go into journalism to win a popularity contest, and I don't care how many books I sell. Publishers make all the money - not the writers, unless you are in the league of fiction writers such as Patricia Cornwell or Scott Turow.' Alanna Nash, June 2008."
    (Source: http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/review_baby_lets_play_house.shtml)

I wondered if this was some type of slip - Freudian or otherwise!!!

Maybe Peter Whitmer, Ph. D., the psychologist involved with this book, could tell us.

Some may recall Mr. Whitmer is also the author of another little gem; the 1996 book entitled 'The Inner Elvis - A Psychological Biography of Elvis Aaron Presley.'

I have her other books and was shocked by this review - I wonder why she would consider a Goldman type book journalism......

There is nothing in that review which has discouraged me from buying the book.
    I only wish I hadn't wasted the time it took to read the article, which was yet another tedious exercise in protecting the most hypersensitive Elvis fans from reality.

And in this instance, 'reality' is the long overdue release of a study which focuses on the most potent male sex-symbol of the 20th Century's aversion to conventional lovemaking.

It is relevant and it is interesting!
    Discussing this matter, which is accepted by practically everyone close enough to him to find out, does not in itself constitute Goldman's flagrant disregard for source integrity in pursuit of sensation.

In fact, I'm getting pretty tired of disgruntled hacks who lazily raise Goldman's name every time they read something about Elvis which makes them slightly uncomfortable.
    'Taking Care of Beaulieu'.

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by monk37 View Post
    I have her other books and was shocked by this review - I wonder why she would consider a Goldman type book journalism......

YouTube- Money - Pink Floyd + Lyrics

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    I only wish I hadn't wasted the time it took to read the article, which was yet another tedious exercise in protecting the most hypersensitive Elvis fans from reality.

And in this instance, 'reality' is the long overdue release of a study which focuses on the most potent male sex-symbol of the 20th Century's aversion to conventional lovemaking.

Discussing this matter, which is accepted by practically everyone close enough to him to find out, does not in itself constitute Goldman's flagrant disregard for source integrity in pursuit of sensation.

In fact, I'm getting pretty tired of disgruntled hacks who lazily raise Goldman's name every time they read something about Elvis which makes them slightly uncomfortable.
    What makes me uncomfortable with the book is Peter Whitmer

I predict that in the book Alanna Nash will ask for and quote Whitmer's views on why Elvis was the way he was with women and other things etc. etc.

I believe in the mental health profession it is considered unethical to give an opinion or view on someone's actions or why they are the way they are without meeting them.

Peter Whitmer never knew Elvis as a patient so he hasn't got a clue about Elvis and his relationships with women.

I said in the begining that for me the books quality would depend on Alanna Nash getting interviews with all of Elvis girlfriends but she has decided to bring Peter Whitmer on board and I think that's going to steer the book in the wrong direction because his view on Elvis isn't needed.

TCB Mafia

Hi Teddy,

Heresay, heresay, heresay lol

Methinks that the "sexuality issues" or "living vicariously through others" lies with these men's lives at the time (Golds**t (like the name?) lol and Byyyyyyyyyyyyyyron), honey

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    What makes me uncomfortable with the book is Peter Whitmer

I predict that in the book Alanna Nash will ask for and quote Whitmer's views on why Elvis was the way he was with women and other things etc. etc.

I believe in the mental health profession it is considered unethical to give an opinion or view on someone's actions or why they are the way they are without meeting them.

Peter Whitmer never knew Elvis as a patient so he hasn't got a clue about Elvis and his relationships with women.

Well said,

Besides, no offense to anyone, but we know what generally speaking, some psychologists are like, too.

So you believe that Elvis, in his current position as deceased (and therefore unavailable for one-on-one psychoanalysis), should be completely exempt from psychological study of any substantial depth because no one can presently meet him?

Given Elvis's obvious unavailability, I imagine that the general idea was to gather as many sources as possible in order to create the most detailed psychological profile that was reasonably practicable in the absence of the man himself.

In this respect, Alanna Nash is only doing what the majority of other books on Elvis have had the temerity to do without consulting a fully qualified psychologist!

TCB Mafia

So you believe that Elvis, in his current position as deceased (and therefore unavailable for one-on-one psychoanalysis), should be completely exempt from psychological study of any substantial depth because no one can presently meet him?

Given Elvis's obvious unavailability, I imagine that the general idea was to gather as many sources as possible in order to create the most detailed psychological profile that was reasonably practicable in the absence of the man himself.

In this respect, Alanna Nash is only doing what the majority of other books on Elvis have had the temerity to do without consulting a fully qualified psychologist!

Teddy, however, how could they?

I mean, they go on the thoughts of people who have no knowledge of psychology, no knowledge of human nature, as they themselves, who are speaking or writing about Elvis, aren't themselves "together" as people? It's all opinion, on the said people's own perception of life, as it is, for them.

Really, isn't psychology just trying to force/pidgeon hole somone into a personality profile? (blahhhhhhhhhh).

TCB Mafia

Yes, that correct

I feel that since Elvis is no longer here and was never a patient under a psychiatrist or psychologist that its wrong to treat him as a case study in this way.

I feel when involved in a project like this a mental health proffesional will make a lot of assumptions about the way Elvis was that are actually incorrect because they never knew them.

Alanna Nash just should've interviewed Elvis girlfriends hence the title ''The Women who loved Elvis'' instead of trying to understand him on an emotional level through someone who never even met him.

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post
    Teddy, however, how could they?

I mean, they go on the thoughts of people who have no knowledge of psychology, no knowledge of human nature, as they themselves, who are speaking or writing about Elvis, aren't themselves "together" as people? It's all opinion, on the said people's own perception of life, as it is, for them.

Really, isn't psychology just trying to force/pidgeon hole somone into a personality profile? (blahhhhhhhhhh).

Well the pigeonholing is definitely a problem

And yes, it is "all opinion" at the end of the day, but if we're attempting to assess the cause and content of Elvis's behavior and character, which is what so many books about him seek to do anyway, I would definitely be interested in the "opinion" of somebody who has an exhaustive and academic approach to such matters.

I feel when involved in a project like this a mental health proffesional will make a lot of assumptions about the way Elvis was that are actually incorrect because they never knew them.
    But surely no more than any 'non-mental health professional' who never knew Elvis but sells their opinion, regardless?

How many of Elvis's biographers actually met Elvis?

TCB Mafia

Well the pigeonholing is definitely a problem

And yes, it is "all opinion" at the end of the day, but if we're attempting to assess the cause and content of Elvis's behavior and character, which is what so many books about him seek to do anyway, I would definitely be interested in the "opinion" of somebody who has an exhaustive and academic approach to such matters.

Honey, but it's all subjective

I have an acquaintance, who is a psychiatrist, and he is so odd. There are other examples, too. Boy, I'd like you to meet him, though, lol. I think you'd have fun, taking the miccy out of him, without him knowing, lol. He can pull apart the feelings of an inanimate object like a toaster and talk to you for ages about it It was a bad day for me to give up drinking
    (Quoting: "Flying High" jokingly).

But surely no more than any 'non-mental health professional' who never knew Elvis but sells their opinion, regardless?

How many of Elvis's biographers actually met Elvis?
    Good point. But I guess some people are more likely to take note of a psychiatrist, being a professional, as opposed to someone who knew Elvis. I know what you mean though. I would certainly be interested, but as with all books about Elvis, would make my own opinion and not take it all so literally.

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by May View Post
    Good point. But I guess some people are more likely to take note of a psychiatrist, being a professional, as opposed to someone who knew Elvis. I know what you mean though. I would certainly be interested, but as with all books about Elvis, would make my own opinion and not take it all so literally.

Hi May I understand what you are saying, but to link it to Teddy's comments, too:

In my opinion, people would be crazy to take note of a psychiatrist or psychologist.

A psychiatrist or psychologist still have their life experiences to go on, where they are now with their own lives and thought patterns, and how they were taught in their profession and what they believe in, personally.

You can't necessarily get a lot of academics to agree on a subject, too, from my experience, and observations.

I just have troubles with the whole concept of anyone working out anyone, in the context that they can't know them at all, or certainly, amply. There are too many variables involved.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast