Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From Elvis In Memphis: Elvis’ sad, dipping trajectory

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar

From Elvis In Memphis: Elvis’ sad, dipping trajectory

ELVIS PRESLEY — FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS AND BACK IN MEMPHIS (2-CD Legacy Edition)

[IMGL]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:1AVbqcj2HPdarM:http://www.feature.legacyrecordings.com/images/news/elvis-presley/From-Elvis-In-Memphis-LE-640x589.jpg[/IMGL]WHEN Elvis Presley makes a record, it’s a signature event, an iconic moment in the epoch of recorded music.

Before The Beatles and Rolling Stones made the girls giddy and the guys seriously consider making music a career option, Elvis ruled the 1950s and the early ’60s.

His moniker King of Rock and Roll probably deserved on the account of his genre-shattering music and impossibly hypnotic body gyrations and stage antics.

In his time, Elvis bridged the rhythm and blues and blues and country, borrowed the hard-driven rockabilly and fused black music, gospel in particular, with pop ballads and the results are pop culture markers — Hound Dog, Love Me Tender, Heartbreak Hotel, the likes never to be seen or heard again, unless they were poor imitations of the King.

However, as his epochal era began to diminish, overrun by younger, more social-conscious artistes in the mould of Bob Dylan, The Byrds, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Neil Young, and hipper, wilder, more gifted players the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Elvis’ sound drowned, barely audible over the pioneering work of the advent of rock/metal.

Elvis was barely 35 and yet nibbles are associated with him when the seminal performances of the 1960s are discussed and reminisced. Perhaps Elvis realised it, perhaps he didn’t, but whatever notions he had about changing the direction of music as he once did in the ’50s, the ’70s was a sad dipping trajectory, right to his inevitable death, if the latest reincarnation of the King’s obscure works is any indication.
    pix_topright

While his legacy was more than assured, this record, hyped as his bid for a serious comeback to catapult him back to the charts and perhaps the respect of his peers and critics, merely percolates with mushy renderings, almost amateurish production qualities and a strict middle-of-the-road focus. In a nutshell, recordings of pained blandness. The Ray Conniff Singers may have sounded more adventurous.

Whatever the producers felt about Elvis, they must have thought the halcyon years might help inject some pace but a listen through the first CD didn’t jolt the senses nor raised an excitement.

Even his takes on Gentle On My Mind and the Beatles’ Hey Jude merely added to the awareness that he can’t hack anymore originality. To be plain, they just sound awful. The second CD contains the hits Suspicious Minds, Kentucky Rain and In The Ghetto.

More on the downside, the sound is obsolete, even for its time. Elvis’ voice though is clear, strong and engaging. Had he hired George Martin, maybe he had a chance of shining through as big as before.

This is probably a screwy theory but it might explain Elvis’ waning years with dope and booze after the epiphany struck him that he would never be able to trailblaze new, post-rock and roll innovation in his music.

That’s why when we think of Elvis and all his wooden acting in the boy-meets-girl movies, it’s always the smouldering younger man that we adore and relived. But not this record, though the liner notes and pictures are worth the price of entry. Strictly for unrepented Elvis fanatics.

Mishar (2009/10/28)
    source: NewStraitsTimes

Re: From Elvis In Memphis: Elvis’ sad, dipping trajectory

The author has an axe to grind.They know nothing about Elvis.

he never touched booze you *****...get your facts right you *****ic person.

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar

It's obvious that the writer of this article isn't an Elvisfan, and that he doesn't have all facts straight. And if or if not the album sounds dull/boring/flat/uninspired and could have been better with a different producer is also merely a different in taste.

But his claim that this album wasn't really the artistic, contemporary comeback of Elvis, is true in my opinion. For us, the fans, it was a definite breakup with his soundtracks-days. And it may be his best album every since. But compared to what was being released during those days, it had little impact in sales and really had no influence at all on the musicscene. We, the fans, like to think differently because it's such a great album.

But I don't believe Elvis had any intentions to change the musics scene. He just wanted to release a really good Elvis album with more modern music that would clearly sound different from all his prior work. It was a logical followup to his comeback special.

Instead of using new material, Elvis, the King of covers, had to re-record music that was already recorded and made famous by others. By doing so he made himself less creditable as an artist in an era where it was all by 'creating art'.

Elvis was an entertainer, a performer, not a true creating artist. And not that there's anything wrong with that. Elvis made more people happy with his music than any of those so called 'creditable' artists. I dare to say that Elvis made (and still makes) more people happy than bands/artists like the Beatles. And after all, that's what counts most.
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Ar*hole!!!!!

He will always be The King..............
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar

Beautiful post, Albert. I would say I agree 99%...my only issue being I do believe Elvis was a true creating artist (though certainly not all of the time) in spite of his not being a songwriter. Well said though and a nice honest analysis.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy1966 View Post
    he never touched booze you .
    Yes, he did.

Elvis the teetotaller is a complete myth.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

TCB Mafia

I don't like the guys tone but about Elvis not creating anything with the album imo is true.
    I've always thought that Elvis should have gotten some more contemporary material from the successful songwriters of the day instead of just doing almost an entire album of old country & western songs he could've done that in Nashville.

all about the $$$$, and what was allowed to get through to him
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

SleepyJack

Sounds like our little critic friend is not a fan of Elvis.... So,my little ink-wasting friend, how many times have YOU changed popular culture? How many people have YOU made happy? How many people will talk about YOU over thirty years after your death?
    It`s a well-known fact of life anyway that 90% of music critics are just frustrated,failed ukelele players.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyJack View Post
    Sounds like our little critic friend is not a fan of Elvis.... So,my little ink-wasting friend, how many times have YOU changed popular culture? How many people have YOU made happy? How many people will talk about YOU over thirty years after your death?
    It`s a well-known fact of life anyway that 90% of music critics are just frustrated,failed ukelele players.

You tell em' SJ

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyJack View Post
    Lots of critics should read this post Jack!

Diane

The gentleman seems sadly off the mark-and it appears to me to be intentional.
    His opinion on the album, and the 69 sessions, is way off base. He has no understanding of what he is talking-American Sound was a center for contemporary Hit making music-how can that make the production values sadly lacking in 1969????
    He says Elvis did not create anything new with this project............something which is very enjoyable and very in touch with the sound of Creedance, Tony Joe White, Joe South all who were making great music at the time-it does not have to be new to be great music.
    This was not Elvis trying to redesign the wheel-it was Elvis getting back to the basics of his music-and pushing the wheel harder, with more fire behind the engine. It was Elvis saying -THIS IS WHO I AM-THIS IS WHAT MADE ME!

Rolling Stone top 500 Albums album 190-"From Elvis In Memphis"
    "I had to leave town for a little while," Presley sings in the first track. Along with his 1968 TV special, this record announced he was back. Cut at Chips Moman's American Studios, it is little short of astounding. With help from a crack crew of Memphis musicians, Presley masterfully tackles quality material from country ("I'm Movin' On"), gospel ("Long Black Limousine"), soul ("Only the Strong Survive") and pop ("Any Day Now") as well as message songs ("In the Ghetto"). The same sessions also yielded one of Presley's greatest singles, the towering pop-soul masterpiece "Suspicious Minds."

It was Elvis saying -THIS IS WHO I AM-THIS IS WHAT MADE ME!
    Last edited by KPM; 11-03-2009 at 03:53 PM.
    Work in Progress!

Fantastic post Ken

It's just a case of sour grapes, they can't help pulling him down wherever possible.
    IMO, the 69 sessions were the best he did. I adore his vocals, and the commitment to those sessions. He was 'smoking'...........

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    The gentleman seems sadly off the mark-and it appears to me to be intentional.
    His opinion on the album, and the 69 sessions, is way off base. He has no understanding of what he is talking-American Sound was a center for contemporary Hit making music-how can that make the production values sadly lacking in 1969????
    He says Elvis did not create anything new with this project............something which is very enjoyable and very in touch with the sound of Creedance, Tony Joe White, Joe South all who were making great music at the time-it does not have to be new to be great music.
    This was not Elvis trying to redesign the wheel-it was Elvis getting back to the basics of his music-and pushing the wheel harder, with more fire behind the engine. It was Elvis saying -THIS IS WHO I AM-THIS IS WHAT MADE ME!
    The album is also very similar in style to Dusty Springfield's 1969 album Dusty in Memphis which was and is a critical favorite but it bombed with the record buying public.
    Also I'd say you could make an argument that Elvis was creating his only near geniune R&B album with From Elvis in Memphis.
    Or blue eyed soul album like Dusty in Memphis was.
    That was something new and unexplored for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    The album is also very similar in style to Dusty Springfield's 1969 album Dusty in Memphis which was and is a critical favorite but it bombed with the record buying public.
    Also I'd say you could make an argument that Elvis was creating his only near geniune R&B album with From Elvis in Memphis.
    Or blue eyed soul album like Dusty in Memphis was.
    That was something new and unexplored for him.
    Actually there is not much comparison between Elvis and Dusty in the music they chose for the albums-Dusty had some show type tunes such as the
    "Windmills of Your Mind" and "In the Land of Make Believe"
    So her album was a lot less R&B or soul but Elvis on the other hand chose mainly R&B, country or pop with the arrangements leaning toward R&B IMO
    Also in a book about his career her producer Jerry Wexler said she recorded the finished vocals for the album in New York-because she was a little intimidated by the number of true blues and soul artists who had recorded at the studio.
    Elvis on the other hand gave it his all in the studio and seemed to not have a problem with the reputation of the artists who had previously recorded there.
    But I will agree that this session was as close to real R&B that Elvis ever did.
    Work in Progress!

It was Elvis saying -THIS IS WHO I AM-THIS IS WHAT MADE ME!

Diane

TCB Mafia

Actually there is not much comparison between Elvis and Dusty in the music they chose for the albums-Dusty had some show type tunes such as the
    "Windmills of Your Mind" and "In the Land of Make Believe"
    So her album was a lot less R&B or soul but Elvis on the other hand chose mainly R&B, country or pop with the arrangements leaning toward R&B IMO
    Also in a book about his career her producer Jerry Wexler said she recorded the finished vocals for the album in New York-because she was a little intimidated by the number of true blues and soul artists who had recorded at the studio.
    Elvis on the other hand gave it his all in the studio and seemed to not have a problem with the reputation of the artists who had previously recorded there.
    But I will agree that this session was as close to real R&B that Elvis ever did.
    I always thought that Dusty in Memphis had a soul feel to it.
    Elvis album has more of a country flavor mixed in on some of the tracks while Dusty did some show tunes as you mentioned.
    Dusty's hit from those sessions Son of a Preacher man has soul feel to it sorta like Suspicious minds and in the ghetto did.
    I feel that Dusty's sessions for that album were an attempt by her to sing pop tunes with a soul feel.
    Last edited by Brian; 11-05-2009 at 10:58 PM.

It is not about if the author of this article is or not and Elvis fan, its about merely ignorance of two basics for a music critic: to know about the context of the record and to distinguish between personal taste and the actual quality of the music you are talking about.

The author of this review obviously has no idea of what the AMERICAN SOUND STUDIOS and CHIPS MOMAN meant to the music scene in the second half of the 60's. His reference to George Martin just let you know he is just one of those, those how think that the 60's music scene is reducted to the British invation and the so called Woodstock generation.

He has no hint about from where this music is coming, and in which terms this album should be understood. This review is as retarded as to state Ray Charles mid 60's records are crap cause they don't sound as inovative and hip as what The Velvet Underground where doing? or to state that Hendrix was just awful noise as he does not compares to the polished sound and artistry of B.B. King? Dude! you got to put things in context.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 02-01-2010 at 01:09 AM.

what a d...head. Did he even listen to the music?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast