Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mother In Law's

Mother In Law's

I was just wondering, do any of you have as much trouble with your mother in law as I do!! ?

I know its a known thing that mothers dont agree with their son's choice of wife, but wondered what your experiences were

Re: Mother In Law's

I have a great relationship with my mum inlaw, its my mother thats the problem...lol i have heard my sisters and my friends complain about there mum inlaws they tell me how lucky i am to get on with mine.

elvislady

You are lucky!
    I was engaged ages ago (didnt marry him!) to someone who's mother loved me !(!!) As soon as we got engaged she turned on me! Literally, the same day! Unbelievable!

I should have known because she used to slag off ALL his exes - and I happened to know one of them - and she was lovely!!

May, so sorry about yours. I have a great relationship with mine, my friend Carol on the other hand - so bad! Carol literally gets sick to her stomach when she has to go to Louisiana to visit the in-laws.
    Here's a joke I shared with her:
    What's the definition of a mixed emotion? When your mother-in-law drives over a cliff in your brand new Lexxus.

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

SleepyJack

Never had me one of `em!!...but if I had she`d have loved me....I`m just a snuggle-bunny when ya get to know me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisarose View Post
    May, so sorry about yours. I have a great relationship with mine, my friend Carol on the other hand - so bad! Carol literally gets sick to her stomach when she has to go to Louisiana to visit the in-laws.
    Here's a joke I shared with her:
    What's the definition of a mixed emotion? When your mother-in-law drives over a cliff in your brand new Lexxus.
    Very good! Very apt!

Oh yes, my MIL is a bit of a hag. She won't say anything to me in front of her beloved son, but as soon as he is out of the room, all these little snidey remarks come out. She knows I am an animal lover and all she does is talk about killing rabbits, shooting squirrels, deer getting run over and dead birds! Lovely woman!

Thats not the half of it either. Thats what I can write on here without getting into trouble!

SleepyJack

Quote Originally Posted by May View Post
    Very good! Very apt!

Oh yes, my MIL is a bit of a hag. She won't say anything to me in front of her beloved son, but as soon as he is out of the room, all these little snidey remarks come out. She knows I am an animal lover and all she does is talk about killing rabbits, shooting squirrels, deer getting run over and dead birds! Lovely woman!

Thats not the half of it either. Thats what I can write on here without getting into trouble!
    I think I`ve seen this lady in a movie... does she sit on the porch chewin` tobacco with a shotgun on her knee???

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyJack View Post
    I think I`ve seen this lady in a movie... does she sit on the porch chewin` tobacco with a shotgun on her knee???

I love my mother in law. Even after the relationship I had with her son is over. I've learned many positive things from her. And I'm like you elvislady - wish my mum was more like my MIL.

SleepyJack

Just a little something to help the thread along!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxwNLxy5_8A"]YouTube - Ernie K Doe ----- Mother In Law[/ame]

My mother-in-law was a mixture. She wasn't warm at all and she did the snidey remarks when my husband wasn't around too but all in all, I think she did care for me in her own way. At least she said she did.

I was everything her family wasn't. Small stature, french Canadian and god forbid Catholic. The only thing that really hurt me is that she would not let me speak of my family that I was missing so badly...I was almost 3000 miles away from them and very homesick for the first several years. Her family is all that mattered in her mind...mine was non-existent, then both my parents died and still no warmth when I was devastated. She's gone now but I wish she had been warmer so I'd have better memories of her. My father-in-law was just the opposite...he was a real sweetheart and he understood what I was going through.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyJack View Post
    Brilliant! That cracked me up!!! Unfortunately it would be her husband doing that, she would be the one bossing him around and why do something yourself if you can get someone else to do it, is kind of her motto in life!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MeanWoman View Post
    I love my mother in law. Even after the relationship I had with her son is over. I've learned many positive things from her. And I'm like you elvislady - wish my mum was more like my MIL.
    Strange isnt it. My mum thinks the sun shines out of my husbands ......................... ummm... ear!!! I think she even prefers him to me!!! Of course she knows me inside out, and only ever sees him whem he's on his best behaviour!!!!!!! tut tut

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    My mother-in-law was a mixture. She wasn't warm at all and she did the snidey remarks when my husband wasn't around too but all in all, I think she did care for me in her own way. At least she said she did.

I was everything her family wasn't. Small stature, french Canadian and god forbid Catholic. The only thing that really hurt me is that she would not let me speak of my family that I was missing so badly...I was almost 3000 miles away from them and very homesick for the first several years. Her family is all that mattered in her mind...mine was non-existent, then both my parents died and still no warmth when I was devastated. She's gone now but I wish she had been warmer so I'd have better memories of her. My father-in-law was just the opposite...he was a real sweetheart and he understood what I was going through.

Diane
    Its so silly though. I mean, I could understand if there was a reason behind the hate. But in my case, and so many others, there isnt. Only jealousy!!! She would see so much more of her son if she only tried harder with me. I dont stop them seeing him but he just doesnt bother going round there unless I suggest it. Of course, I dont, because who wants to spend time with people who cant stand the sight of you, so they arent really in touch. Silly silly silly people!

I think what bugs me the most is that I have spend YEARS trying my best. I have bitten my lip SO many times (and generally I find that hard anyway!!! - Donut as a fellow Leo you will understand!! ) and I have tried EVERYTHING. Ignored it. Tried to be adult about it and confront it. Nothing works. So why bang your head against a brick wall? Beats me!! I have only made this effort because of my husband. You would think they woudl make the SAME amount of effort because he is their SON !!!! But nooooooooooo.

Its so silly though. I mean, I could understand if there was a reason behind the hate. But in my case, and so many others, there isnt. Only jealousy!!! She would see so much more of her son if she only tried harder with me. I dont stop them seeing him but he just doesnt bother going round there unless I suggest it. Of course, I dont, because who wants to spend time with people who cant stand the sight of you, so they arent really in touch. Silly silly silly people!

I think what bugs me the most is that I have spend YEARS trying my best. I have bitten my lip SO many times (and generally I find that hard anyway!!! - Donut as a fellow Leo you will understand!! ) and I have tried EVERYTHING. Ignored it. Tried to be adult about it and confront it. Nothing works. So why bang your head against a brick wall? Beats me!! I have only made this effort because of my husband. You would think they woudl make the SAME amount of effort because he is their SON !!!! But nooooooooooo.
    It is sad when some people put up barriers for stupid reasons and miss the best things in life,

Diane

True Diane, very sad. And very short-sighted!

I understand you may..i dont get on with my sister inlaw..my hubbys brothers wife..i am easy going and she is a attention seeker..she hates to see me get on with anyone..in the family.. i have been in the family longer.. we got on ok at first i had my to children then she came on the scene... she got married to my bro inlaw who is nice she lost a baby ... but we both got pregnant at the same time in 1994 and she was really put out by it.. she wanted all the attention.. my babay was due after hers but i ended up in hospital 2 weeks early to be induced, while i was in there she got brought in the same night... i was in a room on my own she came in and shook me awake..i was gobsmacked...i went to have my babay the next day.. and the docs said she could go home there was nothing wrong with her.. i had my son before she went home and she couldnt bring herself to come and see us before she went home! sorry its a bit long winded.. thats not the half of it! lol

elvislady

I was just wondering, do any of you have as much trouble with your mother in law as I do!! ?

I know its a known thing that mothers dont agree with their son's choice of wife, but wondered what your experiences were
    I don't have any problems at all.
    I have a great relationship with my inlaws.
    Some of you all never been down South too much...
    I'm gonna tell you a little story, so you'll understand where I'm talking about

I feel for you, and I actually understand, I have issues with my "grandmother" who is my mother's step- mother. Ugh

now my M-I-L is wonderful as I said earlier. She taught me one important thing, being the wise mother of 7 herself. She said she didn't have to like any of her children's spouses - although she does love most of us, because she didn't have to live with them. She did have to be polite to them, or she wouldn't get to enjoy her grandchildren. That's what I'm going to practice. I may not like them, but I will be very polite!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisarose View Post
    I feel for you, and I actually understand, I have issues with my "grandmother" who is my mother's step- mother. Ugh

now my M-I-L is wonderful as I said earlier. She taught me one important thing, being the wise mother of 7 herself. She said she didn't have to like any of her children's spouses - although she does love most of us, because she didn't have to live with them. She did have to be polite to them, or she wouldn't get to enjoy her grandchildren. That's what I'm going to practice. I may not like them, but I will be very polite!
    I to have learned a lot from my mum inlaw lisa, she taught me how to look after myself... and dont be put on in life..its hard to swallow when you are 17 but has i got older i took head of her words and did just that.. everyone knows not what i am like !
    elvislady

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast