Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: the december 76 tour

Backstage Pass

Re: the december 76 tour

Re the physical & vocal aspects of Elvis. If judgement of Elvis' live show is based on physical movements, then he is seen as ageing quickly. Let me explain -

Elton John, on his 60th birthday performed a 3+ hour show at MSG, which is on dvd. Since, Elton John's show, since the 70's was never dependent on physical gyrations and dancing, his recent shows do not show a slowed down Elton John. The same with the dvd of the concert done by The Shadows. The 60 year old plus musicians' act did not suffer with the age.

With Elvis' gyrations in the 50's and even in the period 1969-70, I think the fans expected that type of show with more emphasis on physical movement rather than on the singing. That put Elvis in a corner, IMO, making fans expect a turbo-ed performance. If Elvis were fitter in the mid 70's, I don't think he could have kept the energy levels of the 69-70 period, let alone with the medication-dependency he was experiencing.

Believe it or not, I am more shocked when listening to an Elvis show and he is finding it difficult to talk between songs or reading / forgetting lyrics, than seeing a 'static' show. Listening to Elvis' versions of 'My Way' 'You gave me a mountain' 'Unchained melody' 'How great thou art' from Elvis in Concert still give me goosebumps even though EP was far from his best physically.

Guys lighten up!

Quote Originally Posted by GIORGIA View Post
    Funny?
    As Kathy Said in your interview!And I believe in her!
    Kathy said a lot of things, including that Elvis had bone cancer.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

GIORGIA

Quote Originally Posted by Dudcowboy_1 View Post
    I have to agree Elvis was not in love with Ginger because on his new tour in 1977 as he was gone he told people at the house to move Ginger out and he wanted to start dating a lady at a local bank there. I've read that in a book and few of his friends have said that too.
    Is the first time that I heard this thing,
    maybe is true,maybe no,
    but for Me Elvis was in Love Of Ginger.
    And I don't believe all these things that I read,especially from his "friends".
    Of course is My Opinion.

GIORGIA

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Kathy said a lot of things, including that Elvis had bone cancer.
    I know this,but I believe in her.
    And I believe that is Elvis was in Love of Ginger.
    And for Me Love Can Do This.
    Of course is My Opinion.

I left a little girl in Kingston town

I bet by oversinging was meant this "YEAH SEE" (CC Rider) phenomenon, which can be heard during the show in Dallas, for example. It appeared he had a lot more physical power to spend compared to the majority of touring in 1976.

I often have a lot to criticize about arrangements and choral work by Elvis and his crew in the 70's. However I prefer hearing him being energetic rather than lethargic.

My opinion is that he found a better overall balance as the tour approached its conclusion.

During the CBS Special in '77 he was rapid in rapid city, also speech-wise, but the voice was more mellowed-out which I do like.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

International Level

Re: I left a little girl in Kingston town

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticSun View Post
    I bet by oversinging was meant this "YEAH SEE" (CC Rider) phenomenon, which can be heard during the show in Dallas, for example. It appeared he had a lot more physical power to spend compared to the majority of touring in 1976.

I often have a lot to criticize about arrangements and choral work by Elvis and his crew in the 70's. However I prefer hearing him being energetic rather than lethargic.

My opinion is that he found a better overall balance as the tour approached its conclusion.

During the CBS Special in '77 he was rapid in rapid city, also speech-wise, but the voice was more mellowed-out which I do like.
    I agree, especially with him being more energetic than lethargic. But it seems like Elvis just can't please some people either way!
    "talk about the good times"

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerstar View Post
    I agree, especially with him being more energetic than lethargic. But it seems like Elvis just can't please some people either way!
    I was pleased with the December tour. As a matter of fact, my two favorite shows are Pittsburg and Dallas.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

International Level

Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    I was pleased with the December tour. As a matter of fact, my two favorite shows are Pittsburg and Dallas.
    "talk about the good times"

Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    I was pleased with the December shows as well - my favorites being the last 3 shows in Vegas!!

Forever Best Friends

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    By far, the final tour of 1976 (including the historic New Year's Eve show in Pittsburgh) was his best tour of the year!!! In my opinion, Elvis completely wore himself out in 1976 with all of the touring. I realize that Elvis wanted to celebrate the bicentennial with as many fans as possible, but I truly believe he wore himself out with all of that touring. Just listen to some of the shows from the summer and you can clearly hear the fatigue and weakness in his voice!

And even as late as the final Vegas engagement at the beginning of December, Elvis wasn't in the best of shape physically or vocally. But something clearly changed from the end of the Vegas engagement to the beginning of the final tour. Some say it was because Ginger and Elvis were engaged to be married....maybe he just had a chance to enjoy a nice Christmas at home with his family...whatever the case, that final '76 tour was a GREAT one for sure!!!

TCB!
    Mike

I wouldn't really agree with this post. From 1974-1977 Elvis was in the shape of his lifetime (vocally of course) The 1977 tours were the best and the 1976 tour was very very good. I have the whole last Vegas engagement. The man sang 2 concerts a day 15days in a row. 1 1/2 hour. Out of all of those concerts there were maybe only 3 or 4 weaker ones. Plus He sang Hurt almost on every concert and America the beautiful...the hardest songs from his repertoire.Then after that he had a quick Christmas break and then went to Pittsburgh for New years eve and sang one of the best (if not the best ) concert/s of his life.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123