Thread: Elvis 2nd To Lennon

Post Elvis 2nd To Lennon

John Lennon is the greatest rock and roll icon of all time, according to music fans.

The former Beatle beat Elvis Presley and David Bowie to top the list of 100 best music icons voted for by readers of Q magazine. ...

Click for full article: Elvisnews.com
    Here you can discuss the latest Elvisnews

International Level
    I just shook my head when I read this, and I bet even Lennon up on his cloud is shaking his, as he said "Before Elvis, there was nothing" i.e. "without Elvis, there wouldn't even BE a Lennon!"

Lennon / Elvis

I have never put any stock in polls or the opinion of others. I have always decided for myself, whether it be a film critique or whatever!
    Elvis far outshines any other artist ever, but I am biast!
    For some, they would say Frank Sinatra, and the list goes on. All of them have merits that belong to the individual listner. "Do you prefer Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly" "Judy Graland or Aritha Franklin". I say to each thier own. It's okay to Like them all, they all deserve our admiration and praise.
    In his day Al Jolson was the King. But I feel 100 years from now ELVIS will still be on that pedistal, with others only aspiring to reach for his flares. I have always put Elvis rightly or wrongly on a pedistal that is way higer than any other artist. that's where he belongs. John Lennon was a huge Elvis fan. He was that for a reason. let those who question that think what they may.

It seems to me that you either "Get It" or you don't as far as Elvis. I feel very sorry for those "who don't" and only those of you who do, know what I am talking about and nothing else needs to be said.
    A King
    A Man Is Never Dead, Until He Is Forgotten.... (h)

TCB Mafia
    Complete list:
    1. John Lennon
    2. Elvis Presley
    3. David Bowie
    4. Keith Richards
    5. Kurt Cobain
    6. Madonna
    7. Bono
    8. Bob Marley
    9. Joe Strummer
    10. Bob Dylan
    11. Morrissey
    12. Paul McCartney
    13. Johnny Cash
    14. Liam Gallagher
    15. Eminem
    16. Freddie Mercury
    17. Mick Jagger
    18. Robbie Williams
    19. Jimi Hendrix
    20. 2Pac

You only have to look at some of the other names in the top 20 to see that this must be some sort of JOKE

I know..... .....each to there own.

I like a whole range of music from Roy Orbison to Iron Maiden....but Elvis always remains far and away the No1.

Eminem in at no 15 I like Nirvana....but Kurt Cobain at No5 and it may well be just me....but who the hell is 2Pac????????....i think this should have been listed in some sort of pure fictional magazine....oh...my mistake...it was
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

International Level
    Quote Originally Posted by NightRider
    Complete list:
    1. John Lennon
    2. Elvis Presley
    3. David Bowie
    4. Keith Richards
    5. Kurt Cobain
    6. Madonna
    7. Bono
    8. Bob Marley
    9. Joe Strummer
    10. Bob Dylan
    11. Morrissey
    12. Paul McCartney
    13. Johnny Cash
    14. Liam Gallagher
    15. Eminem
    16. Freddie Mercury
    17. Mick Jagger
    18. Robbie Williams
    19. Jimi Hendrix
    20. 2Pac

You only have to look at some of the other names in the top 20 to see that this must be some sort of JOKE

I know..... .....each to there own.

I like a whole range of music from Roy Orbison to Iron Maiden....but Elvis always remains far and away the No1.

Eminem in at no 15 I like Nirvana....but Kurt Cobain at No5 and it may well be just me....but who the hell is 2Pac????????....i think this should have been listed in some sort of pure fictional magazine....oh...my mistake...it was
    Also, forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it a British poll by Q Magazine? I always find their polls extremely suspect

Coming On Strong
    The list was obviously compiled by a Beatles fan. We know different though, don't we?
    Won't you sing me away to a summer night, let me hold her in my arms again.

Backstage Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee
    I just shook my head when I read this, and I bet even Lennon up on his cloud is shaking his, as he said "Before Elvis, there was nothing" i.e. "without Elvis, there wouldn't even BE a Lennon!"
    I do agree on this totally, how can Lennon be the greatest?????
    Without Elvis there wouldn't be any Lennon.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    The list says a lot for people who die in weird circumstance e.g. Mr. Lennon Shot, Curt Cobain Shot Himself

Poor old Mr. McCartney has come in at No 12, I bet he wishes he never met John Lennon some days because he will always be under his shadow no matter what he achieves.

As for Liam Gallagher, Can't Sing, doesn't write his own material. wow is me

Backstage Pass
    They never surveyed me - the result may have been different.
    There's also a list doing the rounds at the moment of the top 200 songs of all time - Elvis has seven entries, but then Outkast with Hey Ya is also there!!!
    rick
    rick

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    These polls always amuse me, how can you get a true reflection, even if you took a broad section of people you will always get current artists who are popular at that time creeping in who in another five years will fall off the list due to teenage fads, most of these polls come from magazines which only kids will buy.

Surely there has to be a lot of factors taken in to cosideration to get an overall unbiased view e.g.

Records sold
    Concerts performed
    Records broken
    Films/Movies made
    How long In the business

Just a few ideas other people may have thing to add to the list.

Perhaps when each country goes to election there should be a gap where you have to fill the greatest artist of all time with the initials E.P. to give them a clue

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Unchained
    Yip i think it's you, this guy souled more cd's then most people together in this list, plus he also recorded more music then most peolpe in this list., well except for Elvis of course.
    Really ? Never heard of him
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------