Thread: The Company Of A Woman- Part One-By Patricia Garber

The Company Of A Woman- Part One-By Patricia Garber

The Company of A Woman

If this did not qualify as blind-date-misery, than dunk me in the cold Mississippi, and hang me out on me-ma’s dry line, Patty quietly thought.
    She did not particularly enjoy watching Jack, the groper, shovel mashed potatoes past his sun chapped lips. The sight was more like a horror movie than a diner date and yet she could not seem to stop watching.

“Ya not eatin’?” He asked his contempt for wastefulness palpable in his voice.

“I had a big lunch.” Patty tried not to stare at the white flecks of Idaho’s best now decorating his handlebar mustache.

This out-of-character rendezvous with cave man Jack was not her idea. Patty never would have agreed to a diner gathering if it wasn’t for the fact that Jack had in his procession two front-row tickets to see the one man Patty could not resist- Elvis Presley. Betty, her so-called friend, knew this. No doubt Betty and all the girls at the saloon, where Patty worked, were laughing it up at this very moment. They would get their up-comings. Patty would see to that. Angrily, she took her frustrations out on the defenseless vegetables, banishing the green peas to the undesirable side of her plate.

Although a weak smile greeted him from across the red plastic tablecloth, Patty’s stand-offish demeanor did not enlighten Jack to the night’s inevitable end. He was counting on romance, whatever that was. Jack did not care how the night went, or the concert, as long as it ended with him waking up with Patty in the morning. To Jack, all women just needed time to get used to his rough exterior. Patty had four hours, give or take a few. They all come around- one way or another.

The way Jack was eye-balling Patty’s light blue, eye-matching, sweater clearly predestined that Jack did understand her subtle hints of indifference. Patty questioned whether she had the stomach to be uncouth in order to get her point across to Jack. After all, she was raised to be a lady. She cared about the feelings of others. But if rudeness did not work, mind you, the mace in her purse would suit her just fine. Her mama did not raise a doormat for men to step on as they pleased- coming and going.

Why did she wear such a tight sweater? Patty knew the answer. She had Elvis Presley on the brain and even if Jack was Clark Gable himself, which he was not, there would be no other man for her tonight. Only Elvis with his sky blue eyes and soft, flawless Indian, skin was for her. Just the thought of him made Patty’s heart race. Her face flushed with the color of young love. Glancing up, her eyes caught Jacks misunderstanding smirk. Feeling like cornered prey, she quickly covered her heated cheeks with both hands.

“Well…” Jack loudly belched without shame. “We better get.”

“Before we do…I need to use the ladies room… please excuse me,” Patty explained before dropping her napkin in to her empty seat behind her.
    Patty raced as gracefully as one could in healed shoes, for the one place all women felt safe- the powder room.

Much like trying to ignore the Elephant standing in the middle of the room, Patty found it difficult to disregard the pungent smell of mildew in the historic restaurants watering room. Dating back to 1905, the steak house lacked a woman’s clean touch but it had the best grilled steaks in town. Patty had to give Jack credit for at least having first-class taste in food, even if the bathrooms seriously needed a good scrubbing.

Stepping up to the sink, Patty’s hand briefly hesitated over the faded porcelain knobs. She considered that even if this room could spark the next plague, she was not ready to return to good-ole boy Jack just yet. With a single finger, Patty turned on the water. A dab of cool wet liquid against her temple would be refreshing, she considered, but settled for washing just her palms instead. Better to be safe than sorry.

Patty ran both hands through her straight, black as night hair. She relished in the peaceful sound running water can carry to ones soul. With her eyes closed, she imagined how it would feel tonight, sitting just a few feet from Elvis. Would she be able to keep her wits about herself? Might she have a moment to tell him how much happiness he has given her, through his talent? She could only hope. Opening her eyes, her mirrored reflection glowed with a new look, one of sheer determination.

Patty vowed, even with Jack at her side, she would tell Elvis how she felt tonight. One way or another it would happen. She felt it deep inside her soul. A wide grin crept over Patty’s rose colored lips.

Two hours till show time- Elvis time.

The sound of cars hummed all around Jacks fire-red El Camino. Patty had been sitting in a car full of stagnate conversation, stuck in traffic, for more than thirty minutes. She was beginning to feel like an ant in a never ending line, leading to a buffet. The cars were lined for as far out as she could see. It seemed as if the whole town was slowly making their way to the dome-like coliseum.

It was a beautiful evening. The soft orange glow of the sun cascaded early evening shadows. Many lounged under her canopy. Always the romantic, Patty imagined the young couples, partaking in soft conversation of love. Could it have been a more perfect night? She had her doubts.

Lost in the nights hypnotic spell, she inhaled the smell of Rose blossoms deep in to her lungs. For a blissful moment she forgot where she was. Glancing over to Jack, Patty’s fantasy suddenly came to a grinding halt. Ok, so he was not the perfect date, Patty frowned. She watched in disgust as Jack licked on a toothpick- suckling noises escaped his mouth. Glancing down to her watch, her heart skipped.

Ninety minutes to show time.

The name ELVIS was larger than life when Jack pulled in to the parking lot. Her eyes lingered over each red letter, spelling the one name, known across the world over. To see his name on the marquee made the evening’s events a certainty for Patty. She had dreamt of seeing him for years. Tonight, she would witness her dream vision become a reality.

Sixty minutes to show time.

“Can you believe this crowd?” Jack walked a few paces in front of Patty.

She ignored Jacks nonsense ramblings. Her attention was focused on the many colorful distractions that an event like this holds. ELVIS’ face decorated every banner and was strung around the building, announcing tonight was the big night. He was here. Barters, like circus announcers, paced through the lobby yelling out their pitches, waiving t-shirts, programs and large buttons. Patty wished only for the real thing.

There was so much steady motion in one place that Patty struggled to digest it all. No matter how much she tried, a new sight would turn her head from one breath-taking moment to another. She could live in a world made up of this excitement forever. It was so electric and energizing. To be in the center of where the magic was soon to begin or better yet, up on the stage, feeling the love, had to be addicting. It was no wonder why ELVIS loved it so.

Thirty minutes to show time!

Awed with the sight of the stage, Patty took her seat, ignoring Jacks extended hand- his first display of manners all night. The floor below her feet vibrated with excitement. Conversation filled the air around her. She could not believe that she was actually sitting front row and waiting for ELVIS to take the stage.

“You like these seats, I take it?” Jack smirked.

Though he had done nothing special to obtain these hard to come by seats, Jack was counting on more than an average thank you gesture later. A friend of a friend had connections but Jack was sure it was better that Patty thought he sacrificed to show her a good time. As far as Patty was concerned, he slept out all night with the other crazies that filled this hall.

“Yes, thank you. This is really amazing.” Patty was careful to avoid eye contact with Jack.

“You can thank me later sweetness.” Jack whispered close enough to Patty’s ear to make her skin crawl.

She leaned away from his attentions.Jack laid his cold, clammy, palm over Patty’s. Her stomach turned. Where was ELVIS? When will he come and save her?

Like Heaven was listening, the lights of the coliseum suddenly went out. The sound of a low rumbling orchestra sounded, swelling throughout the room. Somewhere in the dark a woman let out a scream. Patty shifted her hands out from under Jack-the-rippers grip. ELVIS is coming!

Patty’s heart raced with the thunder of 2001 Space Odyssey. Her blood pumped through her veins like a rushing river at first summers thaw. Her eyes bounced around in the dark. The anticipation was almost too much to bear. Every fan in the room knew ELVIS’ call and she was no different. It was as familiar to her as the scream of Tarzan in the movies. The need to answer him swelled in her chest, threatening to burst out at the first sight of him. She could not wait to greet the King of the jungle.

A bright spot light suddenly beamed to the stage. Its radiant glow spread over the musicians standing just outside its brilliance. The crowd stood to its feet in one collective mass. The room roared at the first sight of the TCB Band.

Without warning Patty was suddenly hurled forward. Though her feet touched the ground, she was virtually carried by a surge that rushed the stage. For one split second her mind flickered with concern for Jacks safety. He was no longer at her side.

Back up on the stage, her attention was quickly demanded by the crashing symbols of the very talented Ronnie Tutt. Like an animal, from that same jungle, Ronnie pounded the drums. He responded to ELVIS’ call to the wild in his own unique way.

Pushed up against the stage, Patty stood on the very tips of her shoes, stretching to get a better look. Which way would he enter? For every moment she was made to wait her heart pounded an assault against her rib cage. Beside her, a stranger’s elbow dug in to her side. A stinging pain shot through her body. Patty did not mind. Rather, she relished in a primal feeling she had never felt before. Patty was alive.

The concert hall walls seemed to expand around her. Patty had never experienced such passion before this night. The room pulsed with anticipation. Like an animal refusing to be caged, the raw emotion of the crowd pressed outward, yearning to burst in to the universe and be free. Just as Patty was praying ELVIS would come soon, before a catastrophe befalls them…ELVIS took the stage.

The room collectively gasped. Cameras flashed like fireworks on the Fourth of July. Patty was suddenly seeing spots. She could hear the crowd screaming his name but her vision was rendered useless. She blinked rapidly, afraid she was missing the moment of Elvis’ arrival. The fans around her escalated in to a squealing frenzy. She sensed he was near.

Patty smelled his tantalizing aroma before she saw him. Elvis sauntered by on a breeze made of heavenly spice. He was finally here.

Imagine you met and fell in love with your Guardian angel. Now, what if that angel turned out to be, Elvis Presley? Impossible, that's what Samantha Bennett thought before her life underwent a King-sized change. Join the angelic series that started with Eternal Flame, and more recently Dream Angel, written for Elvis fan's, by an Elvis fan. "Let's pretend he just didn't go together"~ Patricia Garber.
    www.patriciagarberauthor.com

Re: The Company Of A Woman- Part One-By Patricia Garber

Great Trish! Love the countdown. I wish I could have seen him live in concert or on the street, or at my front door. . .

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

Thanks Tiger77. The article described the anticipation of having Elvis come out on stage perfectly.

Moralistic prude that I am, I didn't like the fact that this Patty girl was using the boy named Jack to get to the concert when she didn't even like him. And...whatever happened to him? Did he get crushed in the crowd?

Diane

Thanks i enjoyed this!

elvislady

International Level Nicole Presley's Avatar

I can´t wait until part two. :-) So - Where is it?

Hello guys.

I'm so sorry for not posting the rest of this story! The truth of it is, this site moves threads out of sight quicker than most forums so that when i came here to check if i posted it here, cause my memory is not the best at times, i did not see it.

So i'm just now seeing these comments! Thanks Nicole for sending me a message, asking where the rest was! That got me doing a back log search and sure enough, there it was. So i'm sorry about the delay.

This story became very long, fifty pages in all and posting a thirteen thousand word story on a forum turned out to be very difficult as I found out on Elvis Insiders. I finally started emailing the file out to those that requested it there and it worked much better. We've been enjoying it off the boards, while commenting on the boards about the story itself.

I would enjoy doing that here as well. I tried to upload the file here but, sigh, it is too large for this site. LOL. So if you'd like me to email this story to you, just shoot me an email at, [email protected] with "The Company of A Woman," in the subject header and i'll attach the file back to you asap.

**Please take note that this file can be sent to you in either Word or Adobe, so if you do NOT have Word but only Adobe, please do let me know or else you will not be able to download the file**
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Nichole- ha...sorry about that..i just befriended you so i'll email it to you when i see your email come across.

Diane- Yup i agree...lol...but i think if a man stepped up to me and said, i have front row seats to Elvis Presley, and i was single, weather i liked him or not, i'd go! Sad, but true...i probably would have gone too. Being 100 percent honest here, that would probably be the one thing im not sure i could have turned down even though i knew i did not like him. Course knowing me, i'd have had a guilt issue and tried to have some long conversation trying to explain where the lines of the agreement were and i would have been dumped!!! Now if i was married, i'd have to say no...sniff sniff..and of course there would be no 'favors' in return, which in the story that is what Jack obviously is expecting. But, Jack doesn't hang around for the remainder of the story. You'll just have to read it to see how i made Jack go away! lol. It's so great to have that power! snicker...hahaha...author privledge.

And lets not forget, in the story Jack is using those tickets as leverage too, so he's not an Angel by any means.

Anyway....this story was fun...i love to evoke all kinds of emotion when i write. Thanks for all your comments on part one and again i'm sorry that i lost track of where i posted this. I did only a few sites.

Please do email me and we'll have some fun chatting about it.

Remember- this is just for fun, has nothing to do with any of my published work and of course is completely from my imagination!

Hugs
    Trish
    Last edited by TheTiger77; 11-13-2009 at 09:43 AM.

Imagine you met and fell in love with your Guardian angel. Now, what if that angel turned out to be, Elvis Presley? Impossible, that's what Samantha Bennett thought before her life underwent a King-sized change. Join the angelic series that started with Eternal Flame, and more recently Dream Angel, written for Elvis fan's, by an Elvis fan. "Let's pretend he just didn't go together"~ Patricia Garber.

I found a way to make this short story available to everyone without having to email me, asking to send it your way.

Go to this link, http://www.mediafire.com/?4yyzyw1gkny and download without joining for free while the file is active.

It's easy as pie.

This is strictly fiction, and passing the story around is part of the fun but please don't publically post the writing without my permission. If you would like to, just email me, and we'll talk.

Enjoy!
    Trish

I know this is super late, but I am rather new here,, awesum! Did you write that? I mean your own thoughts. Omg its so true and a girl getting front row seats,, how could shenot say no to the slovenly mashed potato man. You can call it using but he was trying to buy something- some girls are alot smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTiger77 View Post
    Hello guys.

I'm so sorry for not posting the rest of this story! The truth of it is, this site moves threads out of sight quicker than most forums so that when i came here to check if i posted it here, cause my memory is not the best at times, i did not see it.

So i'm just now seeing these comments! Thanks Nicole for sending me a message, asking where the rest was! That got me doing a back log search and sure enough, there it was. So i'm sorry about the delay.

This story became very long, fifty pages in all and posting a thirteen thousand word story on a forum turned out to be very difficult as I found out on Elvis Insiders. I finally started emailing the file out to those that requested it there and it worked much better. We've been enjoying it off the boards, while commenting on the boards about the story itself.

I would enjoy doing that here as well. I tried to upload the file here but, sigh, it is too large for this site. LOL. So if you'd like me to email this story to you, just shoot me an email at, [email protected] with "The Company of A Woman," in the subject header and i'll attach the file back to you asap.

**Please take note that this file can be sent to you in either Word or Adobe, so if you do NOT have Word but only Adobe, please do let me know or else you will not be able to download the file**
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Nichole- ha...sorry about that..i just befriended you so i'll email it to you when i see your email come across.

Diane- Yup i agree...lol...but i think if a man stepped up to me and said, i have front row seats to Elvis Presley, and i was single, weather i liked him or not, i'd go! Sad, but true...i probably would have gone too. Being 100 percent honest here, that would probably be the one thing im not sure i could have turned down even though i knew i did not like him. Course knowing me, i'd have had a guilt issue and tried to have some long conversation trying to explain where the lines of the agreement were and i would have been dumped!!! Now if i was married, i'd have to say no...sniff sniff..and of course there would be no 'favors' in return, which in the story that is what Jack obviously is expecting. But, Jack doesn't hang around for the remainder of the story. You'll just have to read it to see how i made Jack go away! lol. It's so great to have that power! snicker...hahaha...author privledge.

And lets not forget, in the story Jack is using those tickets as leverage too, so he's not an Angel by any means.

Anyway....this story was fun...i love to evoke all kinds of emotion when i write. Thanks for all your comments on part one and again i'm sorry that i lost track of where i posted this. I did only a few sites.

Please do email me and we'll have some fun chatting about it.

Remember- this is just for fun, has nothing to do with any of my published work and of course is completely from my imagination!

Hugs
    Trish
    Thanks for agreeing with me...I was feeling mighty alone....and now I'm off to go read the rest of the story. Thanks so much for posting a link so that we all can. I'm dying to know what she did with the creep or whether he turned out to be much nicer than he seemed......

International Level Tigerman1975's Avatar

That was a very interesting read. Thank you.
    I'm the king of the jungle, they call me Tiger Man. If you cross my path, you take your own life in your hands.

Hello all. Just quick note here, letting those know that the complete short story, "The Company of a Woman", is now being offered as a free read on Wattpad.com...at this link here. http://www.wattpad.com/story/1454392...ght-with-elvis It was written for fun and is heating up the Elvis-Fan fiction thread of this reader site with over 150 reads in just a few weeks time. I hope you enjoy as I'm so thrilled to finally find a way to fully share the complete story. There's not sign up required, the story just pops right up on your computer or your wattpad app for your mobile and tablet devices. It's easy, and if you love to read Wattpad has millions of free reads, both published and unpublished. It's a great morning coffee partner.

God Bless.
    Trish