Thread: Elvis makes another comeback!:

Loving elvis

Elvis makes another comeback!:

It is interesting to see how opinions and values change over time. On June 5, 1956, Elvis Presley rose to national fame with his controversial performance of "Hound Dog" on the Milton Berle show.

After singing it up tempo, he then began a slower version. His exaggerated, straight-legged shuffle around the microphone stand would create controversy as would his vigorous leg shaking and hip thrusts in time to the beat.

Presley's "gyrations" would create a storm of media comment. The next day's national press, commonly used such words as "vulgar" and "obscene" because of the strong sexual content perceived in his act.

Television critics across the country slammed the performance for its "appalling lack of musicality," "vulgarity" and "animalism".

The New York Times wrote of his talent the day after his appearance on the Berle show: "Mr. Presley has no discernible singing ability. His specialty is rhythm songs which he renders in an undistinguished whine; his phrasing, if it can be called that consists of the stereotyped variations that go with a beginners aria in the bathtub. ...He is a rock and roll variation on one of the most standard acts in show business: the virtuoso of the hootchy-kootchy. His one specialty is an accented movement of the body that heretofore has primarily identified with the repertoire of the blonde bombshells of the burlesque runway".

After his appearance on the Milton Berle show, Presley would appear three times on the Ed Sullivan show. The final broadcast would feature camera shots of the singer only from the waist up. At the end of Presley's final performance on the show, Sullivan declared that Presley "is a real decent, fine boy" and that they never had "a pleasanter experience" on the show.

Cosmopolitan wrote in December of 1956 about Elvis: "It isn't enough to say that Elvis is kind to his parents, sends money home, and is the same unspoiled kid he was before all the commotion began. That still isn't a free ticket to behave like a sex maniac in public."

Of course we know the rest of the story. Presley came back from society's fear of Rock and Roll to become "The King" and a cultural icon. Presley is reported to have sold over one billion single records and albums, which makes him the biggest-selling solo artist of all time. As of 2007, over a quarter century after his death, Presley still holds the top spot for best-selling solo artist in U.S. history (according to the RIAA.) Presley has had 149 top 100 singles in the United States. He has had 30 songs reach the top of the charts.

Elvis Presley is the only performer to have been inducted into four music "Halls of Fame":the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame, the Rockabilly Hall Of Fame, the Country Music Hall of Fame, and the Gospel Music Hall of Fame. His face has adorned a United States postage stamp and his former home, now a museum, Graceland, has been declared a national historic landmark

In the late 1960s, composer and conductor Leonard Bernstein remarked: "Elvis is the greatest cultural force in the twentieth century. He introduced the beat to everything, music, language, clothes, it's a whole new social revolution... the 60's comes from it."

In 2002, 46 years after the critical review of Presley's controversial "Hound Dog" performance on the Milton Berle show , The New York Times wrote: "For those too young to have experienced Elvis Presley in his prime, today’s celebration of the 25th anniversary of his death must seem peculiar. All the talentless impersonators and appalling black velvet paintings on display can make him seem little more than a perverse and distant memory. But before Elvis was camp, he was its opposite: a genuine cultural force... Elvis’s breakthroughs are under appreciated because in this rock-and-roll age, his hard-rocking music and sultry style have triumphed so completely."

Even thirty years after his death, Elvis Presley has just made another comeback. Forbes.com is reporting that Elvis Presley regained the top spot on its list of the highest-earning deceased celebrities. Elvis had ruled the list of thirteen deceased legends until last year. Elvis had estimated earnings of $49 million to regain the top spot in the year ending last month.

Time changes the values and opinions of people in society. Talent that was considered vulgar and "hootchy-kootchy" in 1956 can be described as a "genuine cultural force" forty six years later. However, Elvis Presley's incredible popularity has remained a constant in America for more than the last fifty years. (News, Source: buzzle.com, 2007)

About the author: James William Smith has worked in senior management positions for some of the largest financial services firms in the United States for the last twenty five years. He has also provided business consulting support for insurance organizations and start up businesses. Mr. Smith has a Bachelor of Science Degree from Boston College. He enjoys writing articles on political, national, and world events. Visit his website at http://www.eworldvu.com

source:http://www.elvisinfonet.com/

SleepyJack

Re: Elvis makes another comeback!:

Enjoyed reading that. I guess younger Elvis fans like myself will never really understand the impact that the man had back in 1956...the world has certainly changed a lot since then...in some ways anyhow. Thanks for sharing this.

1956, was the most awesome year for Elvis Presley, it was exciting and new and he was so different, no one ever sang that way before or look like him, or moved like that. I was very lucky to have been witnessed this year.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

SleepyJack

Definitely nothing before or for years afterwards had the same amount of "cool" and attitude as those early Elvis tv shows..... it must have been off the scale altogether on shows like the Louisana hayride....give anything to fly back in time to see that....probably do a bit of screamin` myself!

You were very lucky Tommy!!!!
    It's hard for me, an d probably anyone who wasn't around in the 50's to comprehend the impact he had then, considering how liberal things are now.
    You can't believe just a bit of gyrating he could be seen as the Devil himself, PTA going balistic, police monitoring his shows etc.......
    Looking at the way women simulate sex, vitually naked on stage now..........how times change!!
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

That's why it was so exciting to watch, nothing before it had ever been done, Elvis Presley only comes once in a lifetime and actually never again. He was just himself, no flashy made up techincial light shows, with fireworks, all that sound equiment, crew, props, all that Vegas stuff you see now, and everything else to make a singer look like something.

If they took away all the stuff the rock stars do now to get attention, they would not be much to hear. A lot of rock bands today and singers are all cut from the same mold, cookie-cutter-entertainers, they all sound alike.

Elvis on the other hand, was "IT".....with just a guitar, a bass, and drumer, it still is amazing to watch.

The sound he had is awesome, the man who created Rock&Roll lives forever.

International Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    That's why it was so exciting to watch, nothing before it had ever been done, Elvis Presley only comes once in a lifetime and actually never again. He was just himself, no flashy made up techincial light shows, with fireworks, all that sound equiment, crew, props, all that Vegas stuff you see now, and everything else to make a singer look like something.

If they took away all the stuff the rock stars do now to get attention, they would not be much to hear. A lot of rock bands today and singers are all cut from the same mold, cookie-cutter-entertainers, they all sound alike.

Elvis on the other hand, was "IT".....with just a guitar, a bass, and drumer, it still is amazing to watch.

"talk about the good times"

Not taking anything away from Michael Jackson...............but you have just described why Elvis will always be the best!!!!!
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

You describe how it was perfectly-no one had seen anything like this and today that is downplayed on many fronts. People who saw the before and after realise how groundbreaking he was.
    Work in Progress!

I was around in those times and they were fantastic. It was great being there for the birth of "rock n' roll". I wish I had seen Elvis that year too. I'm glad you were there to witness him Tommy.

Cookie-cutter entertainers. I've never heard that expression but it fits the bill!

My daughter and I were watching some bands on TV this afternoon and both of us said of two of them "didn't we just see them?" but we hadn't and we couldn't tell the difference in sound or style in most of them.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerstar View Post
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post

Not taking anything away from Michael Jackson...............but you have just described why Elvis will always be the best!!!!!
    The man, the music of Elvis Presley, 1956, just a young man, but could he rock the joint! The social effects of rock and roll were worldwide and massive.

Far beyond simply a musical style Elvis Presley's rock and roll influenced lifestyles, fashion, attitudes, and language.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    You describe how it was perfectly-no one had seen anything like this and today that is downplayed on many fronts. People who saw the before and after realise how groundbreaking he was.
    KPM, I agree wholeheartedly. I am so fortunate, that I was able to see this from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I was around in those times and they were fantastic. It was great being there for the birth of "rock n' roll". I wish I had seen Elvis that year too. I'm glad you were there to witness him Tommy.

Cookie-cutter entertainers. I've never heard that expression but it fits the bill!

My daughter and I were watching some bands on TV this afternoon and both of us said of two of them "didn't we just see them?" but we hadn't and we couldn't tell the difference in sound or style in most of them.

Diane
    Yes indeed, I agree, you sure can tell the difference when it's Elvis, if you listen to the first records he cut, it's so totally unlike anything ever heard before, even today, Elvis Presley's sound is still very distinct.