Thread: the cbs 77 outakes

the cbs 77 outakes

i was watching the dvd - love comming down that includes the cbs outakes[some of it] and i wish that there was a clearer copy of this around , i remember the guy who holds the tape saying on tv that he downgraded it because he wants to sell the original for a million dollars, my point is it seems to me that they could have made a great special if they used most of the rapid city material like tryin to get.. , if you love me ... i do presume that even E.P. was thinking that they would have used the one hour performance he put on here, so what do you think?

Re: the cbs 77 outakes

this is a good but sad dvd depicting the June tour of 1977 at Omaha And Rapid City .
    its sad to see Elvis looking ill and with still a great voice as always -during the late concert years .

i have seen ''Love Coming Down'' Dvd and think that this is surely a collectors piece of visual documentaion depicting Elvis during his last 77 Tours . .

Both shows almost complete are in our clips section.

Coming On Strong

The CBS show should be realesed on a HD dvd. But no-one has the right to it evtn though CBS claims they have the rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Budd View Post
    The CBS show should be realesed on a HD dvd. But no-one has the right to it evtn though CBS claims they have the rights.
    CBS does still own the footage.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

I buyed a digitally remastered version of the CBS Special (part of the concerts from Omaha & Rapid City) in great quality from backintime-video and to look at this DVD it's really a great difference.
    The biggest part of Elvis is his heart; it is full of love for everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    EPE has said for years it owns the footage and the special and controls it totally:
    http://www.elvis.com/elvisology/faq/faq.asp?qid=27

from the EPE website frequently asked questions section.

"This special and its related footage are owned by EPE."
    Work in Progress!

it's to bad that they have no imediate plans to release it but they have not said never which is some hope , i guess , it seems to me that E.P.E. are still clinging to the idea that E.P. died in 73.

It almost seems that way.

But EPE has released snippets of EIC here and there, so at least they don't hide the fact that it exists.

I truely believe, that if a re-edited version of the special would be released in a proper picture and sound quality, the impression one gets of Elvis would be more positive.

Of cause it all had to be re-done, but I think it would be worth the effort. The major part of the scenes had to come from Rapid City, combined with a few clips from Omaha. Just imagine a special like this:

Backstage Scenes / Also Sprach Zarathustra / See See Rider / I Got A Woman - Amen (edited) / That's Alright / Love Me / If You Love Me / You Gave Me A Mountain / Fairytale / Little Sister / Trying To Get To You / It's Now Or Never / And I Love You So / Early Morning Rain / Jailhouse Rock / How Great Thou Art / Unchained Melody / My Way / Can't Help Falling In Love

It would be a lot better than the special CBS did back in 1977.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Budd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    EPE has said for years it owns the footage and the special and controls it totally:

It kinda makes you wonder who really does own the footage, doesn't it??

I may get shot for this but I hope that most of that footage from Omaha stays buried in the vaults and never sees the light of day officially - even though we all have it in bootleg quality. It's still painful to watch Elvis lumbering around the stage in Omaha and talking gibberish at certain points of the show and the band intros are just me wishing someone would rake their hands over a chalkboard!

It's been said many, many, many, many times before (especially by Marty Lacker in "Elvis Aaron Presley: Revelations From The Memphis Mafia" that the special should've never been made and to a point, I agree with him all the way:

On June 19, CBS started taping Elvis in Omaha for their "Elvis in Concert" TV special. This is the one that was shown in October, after his death. Most of it was shot in Rapid City, South Dakota , a couple days later in June.

That whole thing never should've happened. When I saiw what Elvis looked like, tears came to my eyes. And I got angry at the greedy ******** who let that go on the air - Colonel and Vernon - all because CBS waved $750.000.00 under their nose.

They professed that they loved this man, and then they allowed him to be shown like that - so big and bloated, forgetting the words to his songs, slurring his speech. He was like some kind of clown, making fun of himself this self-mocking way. You look at it, and it's shocking. There's no other word for it.

They made Elvis a laughingstock. I'll give the estate credit - that's the one vidoe they won't license for distribution. But even then, Elvis's voice, like on "How Great Thou Art", was still strong. His talkent never faltered.

Now, I agree with every word that Marty says about them showing the CPS special, even though it iis a part of Elvis's history.

He also goes onto say this:

My daughter, Sheri, is friends with Kathy Westmoreland. She talked to her a couple of days after Elvis died, and Kathy told ther that when they were taping the CPS special, Elvis said he was concerned about the way he looked. Then he said, "I'll tell you one thing. I may not look good now, but I'll look good in my coffin."
    Now, coming from Kathy Westmoreland, I would take that last comment with a grain of salt because I do not believe a single word she says about anything that Elvis may have told her.

Quote Originally Posted by lvs2day View Post
    it's to bad that they have no immediate plans to release it but they have not said never which is some hope , i guess , it seems to me that E.P.E. are still clinging to the idea that E.P. died in 73.

That's exactly what they're doing/wanting you to believe! Do you ever see anything of Elvis post-73 in their shops? Nope! I can guarantee you that they would never stock the new book about his June 26, 1977 performance in Inadianapolis, IN in their shops - it'd be a cold day in you-know-where before that would happen, I'm sure!

As as far as them saying "never say never" about releasing the CBS Special, I take those words from them as a resounding: "NO! We'll never release it! Do you think that we're crazy?!?!?!?"

I think that the passing of Todd Morgan brought a screeching halt to any major (be it DVD or whatever) releases being put out by them - and that includes EIC.
    Last edited by Tony Trout; 09-22-2009 at 12:36 PM.

I agree with you Tony. Sometimes the truth is hard to believe.

"I am now a central part
    Of your mind´s landscape
    Wheter you care or do not
    Yeah, I´ve made up your mind"

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post

Yeah, well EPE still says Elvis wore the jumpsuit on the cover of the MSG album at one of the actual shows, so I tend to take most of what they say with a grain of salt.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Yeah, well EPE still says Elvis wore the jumpsuit on the cover of the MSG album at one of the actual shows, so I tend to take most of what they say with a grain of salt.
    Well they do make mistakes I agree-but this is a fairly major point...
    Here is some more info on the ownership of all 3 specials by EPE:
    http://www.elvis.com/elvisdvds/faq/faq.asp?id=27

All three of Elvis’s TV specials originally were owned in equal shares by Elvis Presley, his manager Colonel Tom Parker and RCA Records. In the early 1980’s, RCA sold its third to Arnie Holland, owner of Lightyear Entertainment. In 1983, as part of a settlement with Colonel Parker regarding various legal issues, Elvis Presley Enterprises gained ownership of Colonel’s third. EPE and Lightyear issued adapted editions the original American broadcast versions of ’68 and Aloha on home video in 1985. There has not been an official release of the 1977 television Elvis in Concert to date. See the explanation in our separate FAQ item on that topic.

In 1996, EPE bought out Lightyear’s share of ownership in all the footage for the 1968, 1973 and 1977 TV specials and became sole owner. ......
    Work in Progress!