Thread: Elvis Musuem in Parkes, Australia

Elvis Musuem in Parkes, Australia

I was on vacation back in June/July and drove six hours west of Sydney, to the town of Parkes, in the middle of my state of New South Wales.

There's not much there, except for the radio telescope without which the world would never have seen the moon landing in '69: the signal was sent from the moon, bounced through Parkes to the States, then out to the world.

Parkes also has an Elvis Festival every January, which I think is appalling: thousands of crass impersonators etc. Google "Parkes Elvis Festival" if you feel the need.

But this small town also has The King's Castle.

It is located in a small building on the highway coming in, without much sineage.

It is an Elvis collection that belongs to Greg Page, the guy who used to be in children's group The Wiggles (he was the Yellow Wiggle, but quit due to illness). He's a huge Elvis fan, and he has one of the largest private collections in the world.

You pay $5 and walk into a tiny room, and it's all there. They're moving to a bigger building in the coming months. It's very small, but worth a visit.

Many interesting items: Elvis' Physician's Desk Reference; army deferment certificate; Graceland blueprints; a rose from his coffin; the tag from the pyjamas he was wearing whe he died (?!); his famous Kell police light and one of the rare leather suits from '74.

And only one quarter of Greg's collection is on display.

Some of the pics might be a bit blurry: I forgot to turn on the anti-shake device. D'oh.

And if you think a small country town west of Sydney is a weird place for an Elvis museum ... you're right.

Here are some photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP0990.JPG   IMGP0992.JPG   IMGP0995.JPG  

IMGP1009.JPG   IMGP1010.JPG   IMGP1011.JPG  

IMGP1014.JPG   IMGP1019.JPG   IMGP1030.JPG  

IMGP1042.JPG  
    Last edited by Getlo; 09-16-2009 at 05:33 PM.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Re: Elvis Musuem in Parkes, Australia

More photos ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP1029.JPG   IMGP1045.JPG   IMGP1048.JPG  

IMGP1051.JPG   IMGP1053.JPG   IMGP1058.JPG  

IMGP1060.JPG   IMGP1061.JPG   IMGP1065.JPG  

IMGP1066.JPG  
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

And some more photos ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP1067.JPG   IMGP1068.JPG   IMGP1069.JPG  

IMGP1070.JPG   IMGP1073.JPG   IMGP1075.JPG  

IMGP1076.JPG   IMGP1077.JPG   IMGP1082.JPG  

IMGP1083.JPG  
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Final lot of photos from Parkes ....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP1003.JPG   IMGP1004.JPG   IMGP1007.JPG  

IMGP1039.JPG   IMGP1046.JPG   IMGP1071.JPG  

IMGP1074.JPG   IMGP1057.JPG   IMGP1008.JPG  

IMGP1024.JPG  
    Last edited by Getlo; 09-16-2009 at 05:38 PM.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

International Level

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    I was on vacation back in June/July and drove six hours west of Sydney, to the town of Parkes, in the middle of my state of New South Wales.

There's not much there, except for the radio telescope without which the world would never have seen the moon landing in '69: the signal was sent from the moon, bounced through Parkes to the States, then out to the world.

Parkes also has an Elvis Festival every January, which I think is appalling: thousands of crass impersonators etc. Google "Parkes Elvis Festival" if you feel the need.

But this small town also has The King's Castle.

It is located in a small building on the highway coming in, without much sineage.

It is an Elvis collection that belongs to Greg Page, the guy who used to be in children's group The Wiggles (he was the Yellow Wiggle, but quit due to illness). He's a huge Elvis fan, and he has one of the largest private collections in the world.

You pay $5 and walk into a tiny room, and it's all there. They're moving to a bigger building in the coming months. It's very small, but worth a visit.

Many interesting items: Elvis' Physician's Desk Reference; army deferment certificate; Graceland blueprints; a rose from his coffin; the tag from the pyjamas he was wearing whe he died (?!); his famous Kell police light and one of the rare leather suits from '74.

And only one quarter of Greg's collection is on display.

Some of the pics might be a bit blurry: I forgot to turn on the anti-shake device. D'oh.

And if you think a small country town west of Sydney is a weird place for an Elvis museum ... you're right.

Here are some photos.
    Certainly a great collection. Thanks for the pictures.
    "talk about the good times"

TCB Mafia

Thanks for sharing the photos, Getlo.

I enjoy seeing everything; however, I especially like Elvis' everyday clothing.

Thanks for the photos, really nice.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Thanks for the photos and I do agree about the January Elvis festival "thousands of crass impersonators" I went to the festival in 2007 and met Greg Page and got a private tour of the collection well worth a look.

Great collection..i like the do "not disturb" sign and his cutlery set.. thansk for posting.

elvislady

Cadillac King

Thanks for the info Getlo!! We are thinking of doing Parkes next year...I wondered if Greg had displayed this for the public,I saw him on Collectors.. We'll have to stop off and see this! Thanks again!! I agree with your assessment of the impersonators, they had the Elvis train thing last year didn't they?, couldn't think of anything worse...I'm hoping they have some straight Elvis things there for those of us who don't go for the imps
    Last edited by LISY; 09-17-2009 at 02:26 AM.

I liked The King's Castle to Getlo, i grew up in Parkes. I used to get teased so bad for liking Elvis, had my head flushed twice in the toilet because of my Elvis hair. I was 8, i didn't see why girls shouldn't wear their hair that way. Still don't.

It's very strange going back there when the festival is on. I wonder if any of those kids who teased me are now wearing Elvis suit?

I'll add some of my pics if you don't mind Getlo?
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

That's great. Thanks for posting that. I had no idea there was a museum there. I have avoided the festival in January too. I couldn't think of anything more disappointing - Australian Elvises. But the museum looks amazing. I'm gonna plan a trip there.

Thanks Getlo...great pictures! Greg Page did a good job of displaying his memorabilia.

Diane

Thanks Getlo, great museum, my grandson loves watching the wiggles dvd with Greg in it.

Thanks-man thats quite a collection he must have worked hard to acquire all this.
    Work in Progress!