Page 1 of 11 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 211

Thread: Is there anything fans don't know about Elvis

  1. #1
    Backstage Pass
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    207

    Is there anything fans don't know about Elvis

    wow, much info here. what don't fans know??

  2. #2
    International Level Genie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I have two homes, and have been on the road, normally I live inSeattle and Spokane area..
    Posts
    817

    Red face Re: Is there anything fans don't know about Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_One_E. View Post
    wow, much info here. what don't fans know??
    I hate to be the one to inform anyone of things they might not know about Elvis, but it is a thread and an Elvis topic...so I will spit out what little I know and see if everyone else knows already.
    He was fighting Glaucoma in the one eye, and his ophalmologist said it would eventually affect the other eye as well.
    It is hard to believe that the KING as sexy as he was, really wasn't a very sexual person. He would rather talk to you, lay with you, make love to a woman was just not one of his important details. Leaving some to think he might have been impotent later in years, say 1975-77. Or by choice?
    He also had gray hair. Which can be verified by Larry geller or patty perry if she did his hair at that time, unsure?

    "I just wanna be......your Teddy Bear"

  3. #3
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: Is there anything fans don't know about Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    I hate to be the one to inform anyone of things they might not know about Elvis, but it is a thread and an Elvis topic...so I will spit out what little I know and see if everyone else knows already.
    He was fighting Glaucoma in the one eye, and his ophalmologist said it would eventually affect the other eye as well.
    It is hard to believe that the KING as sexy as he was, really wasn't a very sexual person. He would rather talk to you, lay with you, make love to a woman was just not one of his important details. Leaving some to think he might have been impotent later in years, say 1975-77. Or by choice?
    He also had gray hair. Which can be verified by Larry geller or patty perry if she did his hair at that time, unsure?
    I'm sure most people on here have heard those stories before.

    Elvis having Glaucoma in his eye is even mentioned on the EPE site elvis.com in the Elvis bio section.

  4. #4
    International Level Genie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I have two homes, and have been on the road, normally I live inSeattle and Spokane area..
    Posts
    817

    Red face Re: Is there anything fans don't know about Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I'm sure most people on here have heard those stories before.

    Elvis having Glaucoma in his eye is even mentioned on the EPE site elvis.com in the Elvis bio section.
    Agreed, but one never knows which fan does not know these things.. for example here is a stretch.. did you know that Elvis inhaled a loose crown?
    It went into his lung...not down his throat! This is not good, he had to have a quick small inscision at the hospital to get it out!

    "I just wanna be......your Teddy Bear"

  5. #5
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: Is there anything fans don't know about Elvis

    I think its impossible for anyone to know everything there is to know about another human.
    We can know a million things-but perhaps a million more are a mystery.
    My wife knows me like a book after 36 years-yet she does not know it all.
    Work in Progress!

  6. #6
    International Level
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hamilton, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    540

    Re: Is there anything fans don't know about Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    I hate to be the one to inform anyone of things they might not know about Elvis, but it is a thread and an Elvis topic...so I will spit out what little I know and see if everyone else knows already.
    He was fighting Glaucoma in the one eye, and his ophalmologist said it would eventually affect the other eye as well.
    It is hard to believe that the KING as sexy as he was, really wasn't a very sexual person. He would rather talk to you, lay with you, make love to a woman was just not one of his important details. Leaving some to think he might have been impotent later in years, say 1975-77. Or by choice?
    He also had gray hair. Which can be verified by Larry geller or patty perry if she did his hair at that time, unsure?
    I had read about the glaucoma before and I also have read about his hair
    being gray. I saw 3 strands of what was told to me was his hair that a
    friend of mine claimed to have plucked from the pillow of the bed in a
    hotel room right after he had left. The roots of these stands were gray. I believe that Charlie Hodge said that he touched up the gray roots after
    Elvis died. So, I don't think these two things are not commonly known.
    I also have heard some of his girlfriends say that Elvis just liked to spend time
    with them. But, for you to say that he was not a very sexual person and
    to suggest impotency, how would you know this?
    "talk about the good times"

  7. #7
    International Level
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hamilton, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    540

    Re: Is there anything fans don't know about Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    Agreed, but one never knows which fan does not know these things.. for example here is a stretch.. did you know that Elvis inhaled a loose crown?
    It went into his lung...not down his throat! This is not good, he had to have a quick small inscision at the hospital to get it out!
    I had heard about that before, too. Tell us something that we don't know,
    Genie.
    "talk about the good times"

  8. #8
    International Level Genie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I have two homes, and have been on the road, normally I live inSeattle and Spokane area..
    Posts
    817

    Wink Re: Is there anything fans don't know about Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I think its impossible for anyone to know everything there is to know about another human.
    We can know a million things-but perhaps a million more are a mystery.
    My wife knows me like a book after 36 years-yet she does not know it all.
    Well doggone it guys, I'm at least trying.... I think it's a neat thread..I'd like to read something I don't know..wouldn't you?
    Let's see..we know Elvis hated blue jeans, but he wore them in Loving you..
    ahhhh...he had stinky feet? LOL
    He wasn't fond of cats..okay okay...I'm thinking.......

    "I just wanna be......your Teddy Bear"

  9. #9
    International Level Genie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I have two homes, and have been on the road, normally I live inSeattle and Spokane area..
    Posts
    817

    Wink Re: Is there anything fans don't know about Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerstar View Post
    I had heard about that before, too. Tell us something that we don't know,
    Genie.
    My eye Dr was caught off guard..he is an Elvis fan and I told him that Elvis had Glaucoma in one eye...he was shocked.. it's then he told me, he would have had it in both. I thought that was interesting, terrible, but news. Ok..no dice..LOL

    "I just wanna be......your Teddy Bear"

  10. #10
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: Is there anything fans don't know about Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    Agreed, but one never knows which fan does not know these things.. for example here is a stretch.. did you know that Elvis inhaled a loose crown?
    It went into his lung...not down his throat! This is not good, he had to have a quick small inscision at the hospital to get it out!
    Yeah

    That's mentioned in several books and documentaries.

    I think everything's been covered.

  11. #11
    International Level Genie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I have two homes, and have been on the road, normally I live inSeattle and Spokane area..
    Posts
    817

    Red face Re: Is there anything fans don't know about Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerstar View Post
    I had read about the glaucoma before and I also have read about his hair
    being gray. I saw 3 strands of what was told to me was his hair that a
    friend of mine claimed to have plucked from the pillow of the bed in a
    hotel room right after he had left. The roots of these stands were gray. I believe that Charlie Hodge said that he touched up the gray roots after
    Elvis died. So, I don't think these two things are not commonly known.
    I also have heard some of his girlfriends say that Elvis just liked to spend time
    with them. But, for you to say that he was not a very sexual person and
    to suggest impotency, how would you know this?
    It was Larry Geller who touched up the grey when Elvis died. You are right, I do not have a definate knowledge of Elvis being imotent at 40-42 personally, but I have a friend who would know. Rats! I guess I have to bring her into it then? Also medically speaking, they didn't have viagra then..LOL and I have read many reports that Elvis would sleep with a girl but never make love to her.. (which I know is not a given fact)

    "I just wanna be......your Teddy Bear"

  12. #12
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: Is there anything fans don't know about Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Yeah

    That's mentioned in several books and documentaries.

    I think everything's been covered.
    Yep he could hear a wheezing sound when he breathed and knew something was wrong.
    Work in Progress!

  13. #13
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: Is there anything fans don't know about Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    It was Larry Geller who touched up the grey when Elvis died. You are right, I do not have a definate knowledge of Elvis being imotent at 40-42 personally, but I have a friend who would know. Rats! I guess I have to bring her into it then? Also medically speaking, they didn't have viagra then..LOL and I have read many reports that Elvis would sleep with a girl but never make love to her.. (which I know is not a given fact)
    Well impotency can be total-and it can be occasional. Every man now or then has a problem. Sometimes its mental, sometimes its physical and sometimes a combination of both. How anyone could know the full truth on this and how it was with Elvis is probably not realistic. IMO
    But I have read he had some problem in the last couple of years.
    Work in Progress!

  14. #14
    International Level Genie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I have two homes, and have been on the road, normally I live inSeattle and Spokane area..
    Posts
    817

    Question Re: Is there anything fans don't know about Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Well impotency can be total-and it can be occasional. Every man now or then has a problem. Sometimes its mental, sometimes its physical and sometimes a combination of both. How anyone could know the full truth on this and how it was with Elvis is probably not realistic. IMO
    But I have read he had some problem in the last couple of years.
    True. Being an RN and a woman married once or twice I know you speak the truth..LOL but we can assume the medication he took, also caused problems.. am I the only one who read somewhere that he was trying to cover up the fact he became diabetic?

    "I just wanna be......your Teddy Bear"

  15. #15
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: Is there anything fans don't know about Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    True. Being an RN and a woman married once or twice I know you speak the truth..LOL but we can assume the medication he took, also caused problems.. am I the only one who read somewhere that he was trying to cover up the fact he became diabetic?
    I do not recall that about being a diabetic.
    In the book "Elvis Up Close" a panel of doctors went over his medical problems but I do not recall that being mentioned.
    I recall an ulcer being mentioned, arthtitis of the neck and spine, pluerisy, among a few things I had not heard.....I'd have to reread it to remember all they talked about.
    Work in Progress!

  16. #16
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: Is there anything fans don't know about Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I do not recall that about being a diabetic.
    In the book "Elvis Up Close" a panel of doctors went over his medical problems but I do not recall that being mentioned.
    I recall an ulcer being mentioned, arthtitis of the neck and spine, pluerisy, among a few things I had not heard.....I'd have to reread it to remember all they talked about.
    It was in an article someone had written where they said a list of stars were diabetic and Elvis was one of the one's that was mentioned.

    The article was even posted on the Elvis Information Network a few years back.

    The person that wrote the article where he mentioned Elvis was diabetic provided no sources or anything.

    If Elvis was really diabetic I figure one of the Memphis Mafia guys or Dr.Nick would've mentioned it by now.

  17. #17
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: Is there anything fans don't know about Elvis

    There are about 4 things that I now know about Elvis that I didn't until recently.

    I bet a lot of fans still haven't heard about these things.

    1. Johnny Cash wrote the song Get Rythm specifically for Elvis but because his contract had recently been sold to RCA Sam Phillips wouldn't let Elvis take the song with him and the song just ended up being a B-side to Cash's hit song ''I walk the Line''.
    That's a shame because I think the song is a good rockabilly story song that probably would've been a hit and would've been a great song for Elvis' early career. When I first heard this story I was fascinated.

    2. In Sonny West's 2007 book ''Still Taking care of Business'' he mentions that Don Siegel was so impressed with Elvis' performance in Flaming Star that several years later Mr.Siegel came backstage in Vegas to personally offer the role of Dirty Harry to Elvis but he had to decline because of his concert schedule.
    When Elvis fans say which roles they wish Elvis had been offered one movie role that frequently comes up is Dirty Harry so it's interesting to me that Elvis was actually offered the role of Dirty Harry.
    I must say i'm glad Clint Eastwood ended up with the role because it was a career defining one for him and I couldn't see anyone else doing it.

    3. I did not know this until recently that Elvis was offered a role in a Japanese movie in 1966.


    4. Barbara Streisand confirms the story about Elvis painting her toenails in Vegas on the A Star is Born DVD commentary.
    When I first heard this story a few years ago I thought it was just some made up B.S.
    I know a lot of fans felt the same but Streisand says it actually happened.
    I was shocked.
    Last edited by Brian; 09-11-2009 at 11:40 PM.

  18. #18
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,495

    Re: Is there anything fans don't know about Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    There are about 3 things that I now know about Elvis that I didn't until recently.

    .


    I would have ADORED Elvis as "Dirty Harry". I didn't know that one, nor about the others, thanks Brian.





  19. #19
    Backstage Pass
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    107

    Re: Is there anything fans don't know about Elvis

    Elvis as Dirty Harry....fascinating....I'll have to watch Flaming Star again, and refresh my memory. I agree, Clint Eastwood IS Dirty Harry!

  20. #20
    Resident SP! Tony Trout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Brasstown/Murphy, North Carolina (USA)
    Posts
    2,941

    Re: Is there anything fans don't know about Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    I hate to be the one to inform anyone of things they might not know about Elvis, but it is a thread and an Elvis topic...so I will spit out what little I know and see if everyone else knows already.
    He was fighting Glaucoma in the one eye, and his ophalmologist said it would eventually affect the other eye as well.
    It is hard to believe that the KING as sexy as he was, really wasn't a very sexual person. He would rather talk to you, lay with you, make love to a woman was just not one of his important details. Leaving some to think he might have been impotent later in years, say 1975-77. Or by choice?
    He also had gray hair. Which can be verified by Larry geller or patty perry if she did his hair at that time, unsure?

    This is all pretty common knowledge. All one has to do is watch several documentary DVDs and you'll find the answers.

    As far as Elvis rather laying in bed with a woman than making love to her in the later years? I'd believe that one because I have also read (in "Revelations From The Memphis Mafia") that he had become impotent in the lsat couple of years. Even when he was with Linda Thompson (who, as we all know was a knockout beauty of a lady), she has said that he didn't even have intercourse with her much at all. to quote her: "Maybe once a year".



    Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    Agreed, but one never knows which fan does not know these things.. for example here is a stretch.. did you know that Elvis inhaled a loose crown?
    It went into his lung...not down his throat! This is not good, he had to have a quick small inscision at the hospital to get it out!
    Yes, this was during the filming of "Jailhouse Rock" and I believe that it was during the dance sequence that he helped choreograph.



    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerstar View Post
    I had read about the glaucoma before and I also have read about his hair
    being gray. I saw 3 strands of what was told to me was his hair that a
    friend of mine claimed to have plucked from the pillow of the bed in a
    hotel room right after he had left. The roots of these stands were gray. I believe that Charlie Hodge said that he touched up the gray roots after
    Elvis died. So, I don't think these two things are not commonly known.
    I also have heard some of his girlfriends say that Elvis just liked to spend time
    with them. But, for you to say that he was not a very sexual person and
    to suggest impotency, how would you know this?


    It's mentioned in several books...."Elvis" by Albert Goldman and "Revelations From The Memphis Mafia" by Billy Smith, Marty Lacker and Lamar Fike are two books that come to mind.



    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Yeah

    That's mentioned in several books and documentaries.

    I think everything's been covered.

    Agreed, Brian.



    Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    It was Larry Geller who touched up the grey when Elvis died. You are right, I do not have a definate knowledge of Elvis being imotent at 40-42 personally, but I have a friend who would know. Rats! I guess I have to bring her into it then? Also medically speaking, they didn't have viagra then..LOL and I have read many reports that Elvis would sleep with a girl but never make love to her.. (which I know is not a given fact)

    Actually, that is a given fact that he'd rather lay in bed with a woman than make love to her.

    Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    True. Being an RN and a woman married once or twice I know you speak the truth..LOL but we can assume the medication he took, also caused problems.. am I the only one who read somewhere that he was trying to cover up the fact he became diabetic?
    There has never been any evidence that Elvis was ever a full diabetic - he could've been a borderline diabetic, though, due to his eating habits I'm sure.

Page 1 of 11 12345678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •