songs were going to be on his next release ( since he seemed to always
    have been in the dark about what songs would be included on new
    releases).
    It would have been a great platform to show off new songs like 'moody
    blue', 'way down', 'pledging my love'..
    TCB
    Wade

Way Down!
    very cool rock song. i admire the feeling in it!

Sincerly, Yiddle Yisa (h)
    "Somebody does somethin' stupid, that's human.
    They don't stop when they see it's wrong, that's a fool."
    - Elvis Presley
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...rock/19086.jpg
    ALL HAIL ELVIS PRESLEY!!
    apparently -- i was born in the WRONG era!

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Tough question to answer, although there were rumors that Elvis was planning to perform WAY DOWN live, starting on the tour which was supposed to begin in Portland, ME. on 8/16.

My guess is that Elvis was just more comfortable sticking to his usual song lineup than trying out new songs. It's truly amazing when you look back throughout the 70's at documentation containing songs that Elvis rehearsed, or supposedly rehearsed, in preparation for upcoming tours only to revert back to his "tried and true" concert songs! Songs like WEAR MY RING AROUND YOUR NECK, ANY DAY NOW, YOUR LOVE'S BEEN A LONG TIME COMING, THE TWELFTH OF NEVER, just to name a few, have been documented to have at least been considered by Elvis as potential concert songs. But, Elvis was very apprehensive at making too many changes to his concert lineup for fear that he would not please his fans. It's truly a shame that Elvis' opening show in Las Vegas on 8/19/74 was not more well received than it was....that was such a GREAT, ENERGETIC show with lots of rare and unusual songs!!! But, because of the somewhat lackluster response from the fans, he went right back to his usual show the following night! Truly a shame, especially for fans today when we listen to his shows from the 70's that there wasn't more variation in his lineup from show to show or tour to tour!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    I guess people wanted to hear the usual line up and not stray to far from what they new they already liked, with it being quite hard to get tickets I suppose you wanted to be able to sing along to classics, I think the fans expected to hear something from the 50's & 60's & songs from TTWII and Aloha and feel the Elvis Presley live experience.

Backstage Pass
    There was a set list supposedly in Elvis's hand for June 26 being sold on e-bay a few years back that contained Way Down after the introdctions.
    That would have been brilliant.
    Actually, that should have been brilliant. He definitely should have `pulled the finger out' and learned two new songs at least for the TV special. As muich as I love the special, we can only wonder why more care and effort wasn't placed into its preparation.
    It should never have been recorded mid-tour, for starters.
    rick

By this point in Elvis’ career he wasn’t rehearsing for the tours anymore, and as a result of this his stage act didn’t progress.

Of course the fans wanted to hear the older hits, and therefore these would remain as part of the show, but this wouldn’t have stopped Elvis performing new material had he wanted to do so. New songs had been added to the set lists on numerous occasions over the years.

Unfortunately, Elvis didn’t see the CBS Special as a challenge, and therefore no real preparation was made for the presence of the CBS cameras. The set list was varied slightly from show to show, but Elvis had to rely on the tried and tested formula because he hadn’t learned his new songs.

The disappointing aspect of this is that the one off performance of “Moody Blue” which Elvis performed in February is fairly decent version considering that it wasn’t rehearsed, and had Elvis been in better health and better spirits during 1977 and was able to rehearse new material, “Moody Blue” along with “Way Down” and “Pledging My Love” would have made nice additions to his concert repertoire.

RockinRebel has hit the nail on its head ---------> especially the first sentence of his post.

EP just, for a number of unfortunate reasons, ............... didn't bother nor take the time OFF-STAGE to REHEARSE, ADJUST, UPDATE his on the road / touring.

EP was content to just take the path of least resistance, .............. as he had been for years.

That said, ............. EP would / could pull a new song or two out of his hat ----------> "Where No One Stands Alone" / etc. A number of other attempts @ "Moody Blue" are documented on SB's & EP can be heard stating he'll do "Moody Blue" later on the EIC Outtakes.

It would seem that EP was not adverse to essentially "rehearsing" new songs in front of thousands, ........................ because he really was touring to have fun, enjoy, & make money (not necessarily always in that order, either).

It is highly likely that had EP lived, ........................ had the August & subsequent tours become a reality --------> some of the above mentioned songs just might have been tried on stage; had any gone over really well AND EP enjoyed doing them, one or two might have also gone on to become a "regular" part of the set-list.

EP's touring was indeed a tried & true successfully churning money-machine by 1977. It could very well be that the off-the-cuff attempts to have fun with "new" songs on-stage, was EP's way of rehearsing / trying a "new" song .......... simply because, as already stated above, he didn't feel the need to go beyond that & as far as he knew - his fans accepted & enjoyed it (EP giving his all singing heart & sould, in-person).

Let us not forget, .............. by 1977 an EP CONCERT was not simply a "concert" ................ it was an APPEARANCE / EVENT of a LEGEND in the flesh.

In short, the armor was chipping & could have been polished / shined-up, ............. but what was inside was all that mattered to the fandom - for that never really ever changed (ironically, ......... still hasn't).

--------------------------------

Side-note:

Caveat: Don't put too much stock into many of those so-called "set-lists" by Charlie Hodge, nor Grob's note of upcoming August "Tour" songs.

- Capt. "EL."

Gee Capt. your full of facts! You aint alone

- Lisa (h)
    "Somebody does somethin' stupid, that's human.
    They don't stop when they see it's wrong, that's a fool."
    - Elvis Presley
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...rock/19086.jpg
    ALL HAIL ELVIS PRESLEY!!
    apparently -- i was born in the WRONG era!

Quote Originally Posted by yiddle yisa
    Gee Capt. your full of facts! You aint alone

- Lisa (h)
    Yeah, .............. I'm just not always in the mood to respond though.

- Capt. "EL."

Can't add much more than what has already been said. Elvis did do a full version of Moody Blue February 21, 1977 in Charlotte, NC. after trying the night before and stopping after a few seconds, but that was unfortunately it. Also in 1975 he promoted T-R-O-U-B-L-E at almost every show that spring and summer, and it didn't help the sales at all...
    Take care,

Paul
    Paul's Elvis Page

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Elwood David
    by 1977...the armor was chipping & could have been polished / shined-up, ............. but what was inside was all that mattered to the fandom - for that never really ever changed (ironically, ......... still hasn't).
    That's the ticket!
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

I’ve always thought that songs like “Where No One Stands Alone” and “Unchained Melody” were thrown in because Elvis already knew them from singing them privately for years. Of course it still takes a special talent to decide to sing a song on stage in front of a live audience that hasn’t been rehearsed, but I think the reason Elvis often managed to do this (even during some of his weaker shows) is because the material actually interested him.

Despite his problems with medication and poor health there were certain songs that Elvis always seemed to save that bit extra for. How many poor versions of “You Gave Me A Mountain” or “Hurt” are there for example. Elvis obviously still enjoyed singing these songs, and I think that is another aspect of 1977 that is sometimes overlooked. The fact that Elvis was bored with his situation accentuated the medication problem, and this in turn meant that his stage act didn’t progress, and many of the songs he performed simply didn’t inspire him any more. However, despite all the problems when he was actually interested in the material he was performing, his performance level increased.

“How Great Thou Art” from the June 19, 1977 Omaha performance is a good example of this.