View Poll Results: what do you think of elvis impersonators?

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • love them

24 12.63%
  • hate them

77 40.53%
  • I have a mixed feeling, because....

89 46.84%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: What Do You Think Of Elvis Impersonators?

Only I can say....
    'My music is why I was put on this earth' Elvis Presley

Elvis from Russia
    www.elvispresley.ru

Quote Originally Posted by Keith F
    Jamie Aaron Kelley is the best I've heard, he has his own natural voice, and sounds just like Elvis did in his 20's. Jamie is only 24 years old, so no "pot belly" and corny jumpsuit! He's also a genuine Elvis fan, like the rest of us here

Keith
    I like this guy. He is one of the few who does it with respect and he can sound very similar to Elvis.
    http://www.jamieaaronkelley.com/webp...syQuestion.MP3
    http://www.jamieaaronkelley.com/webp...fTheShrimp.MP3
    http://www.jamieaaronkelley.com/webp...LoveAffair.MP3
    http://www.jamieaaronkelley.com/webp...annaBeTied.MP3

He's not flawless (voice is too young to do the 70s as well as the early stuff), but certainly captures something than I've never heard any other impersonator/tribute artist manage.

Aside from that guy, I can't stand them. Most need to be shot and put out of their misery
    Last edited by T_J; 09-07-2004 at 06:20 AM.

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T_J
    Most need to be shot and put out of their misery
    Why don't you say what you really think, TJ?
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Rene Shuman is a very nice guy and a great singer too!
    It's a shame that his efforts in starting an international career didn't work out.

A couple of years ago he did a "little" concert in Utrecht (together with some other rock and roll bands) and he sat out in the audience before he went on stage.
    We said "hi" and spoke about Elvis (not for a very long time though, and he's probably forgotten about it by now) but I thought he was a very nice guy.

A year later or so (don't remember exactly) I saw him again outside the Ahoy Arena in Rotterdam and at that time he seemed to remember me, 'cause he said "hi" again. There was no time to talk that time.

Anyway...like I said: good singer and a nice fellow!

Sonny

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny
    Rene Shuman is a very nice guy and a great singer too!
    It's a shame that his efforts in starting an international career didn't work out.

A couple of years ago he did a "little" concert in Utrecht (together with some other rock and roll bands) and he sat out in the audience before he went on stage.
    We said "hi" and spoke about Elvis (not for a very long time though, and he's probably forgotten about it by now) but I thought he was a very nice guy.

A year later or so (don't remember exactly) I saw him again outside the Ahoy Arena in Rotterdam and at that time he seemed to remember me, 'cause he said "hi" again. There was no time to talk that time.

Anyway...like I said: good singer and a nice fellow!

Sonny
    Just looked him up. On the rock n' roll, he sounds a little like Shakin Stevens to me. That's not meant to be an insult Shakin Stevens did some ok things (eg Hey Mae) before it all got a bit cheesy.

Smile Serving thier master

Unfortuntley there have been many elvis impersonators who have given the art a bad name, however I believe the majority do it out of pure love for the man.
    You know the old saying " Find something you love too do and you will never work another day in your life". Let's face it, atleast here in America, Elvis is not played on the radio very often or seen on t.v. so the tribute artist really are the only ones working in the trenches spreading the good gospel of the king. Tribute artist's of any kind are just doing the work of thier master like a preacher does for Jesus Christ or any other religion. So I would not be to hard on them they are just doing what makes them happy, and I am quite sure if I woke up tomorrow dicovering I could sing like Elvis I would be out there singing my *** of for Elvis.

I have no doubt a few of them are very sincere and well intentioned, but the majority are just miserable losers. They don't have a strongly identified identity of their own and so they have to find part of it in someone like Elvis.

These sad cases made an absolute joke of Elvis - The Concert when it was in Sydney in 1999. Here was a great opportunity for the media and other onlookers to admire and respect Elvis, but the scene was stolen by these pathetic jokes grabbing all of the attention. Even while the show was playing these *****s were walking around the aisles, performing for a laugh.

If you haven't guess by now, I hate them...with a passion. they make the rest of us a laughing stock.
    "The way you looked, the sound of your laughing..."

What do i think of Elvis impersonators?

Loonies - if ever i see them - i have to go up to them and give them a hug - i get so excited. Probably cause I will never get to meet the real Elvis.

maybe i am a nut bag too.

I felt sorry for LMP when she was asked what she thought about Elvis impersonators coming to her gigs.

'I might get my A*S kicked for this. But how would you feel if you saw someone dressed up as your dead Father when you are working?'

So true...

What's that Johnny Carson quote? If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead?

I've seen one so far that was OK and his name is Philip McCaulley (sp?). He sounded so fabulous it wasn't funny. But only if I kept my eyes closed could the illusion be pulled off...

I've noticed that A. They either sound like him and don't look like him. B. They look like him but don't sound like him or C. You wonder how some of them get nerve to go out there and perform

Some call themselves "Elvis Tribute Artists" I think because they're trying to get away from the bad rap that "Elvis Impersonator" has...

I saw a Beatles Tribute Band and they came out dressed like themselves and were themselves...that's what I call a tribute artist. If they dress like, talk like, act like, the artist they are then indeed an impersontor in my book...so don't try and deny it with a fancier name.

I may sound a little bitter because yesterday I was hit on by an older impersonator at the county fair and his pick-up line was "Hey pretty mama, let's sit down, have a drink and dig the band" *shudders* If I was rude I could have said something smart back like "A-drink-drink-drink of fiddle-de-dink I'm gonna bust your big fat head." But I said "No thank you" and got out of there fast.

- Stace
    Last edited by circa1956; 09-11-2004 at 08:45 PM.
    We had the chance to fall
    But fate stepped in to end it all
    Before it could begin

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by circa1956
    What's that Johnny Carson quote? If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead?

- Stace
    That sounds about how it should be
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T_J
    I like this guy. He is one of the few who does it with respect and he can sound very similar to Elvis.
    http://www.jamieaaronkelley.com/webp...syQuestion.MP3
    http://www.jamieaaronkelley.com/webp...fTheShrimp.MP3
    http://www.jamieaaronkelley.com/webp...LoveAffair.MP3
    http://www.jamieaaronkelley.com/webp...annaBeTied.MP3

He's not flawless (voice is too young to do the 70s as well as the early stuff), but certainly captures something than I've never heard any other impersonator/tribute artist manage.

Aside from that guy, I can't stand them. Most need to be shot and put out of their misery
    I must confess that this singer really sounds very good as an impersonator. He really does a good job sounding like the 60s Elvis. But he really sounds like all those other impersonators when he's doing the "70s Elvis". How come that impersonators think that they can do a voice from the 50s Elvis to the 70s Elvis? That is simply impossible!

And although this guy sounds great (most of the time), I still don't like it. Impersonators are no substitute for The King. And most of the time they are a big joke.

I really prefer tribute artists: people singing Elvissongs in their own voice, in their own clothes (no jumpsuits, no sunglasses) and no Elvis moves. Elvis became huge by always being himself.... that's a lesson impersonators might need to learn.
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    I must confess that this singer really sounds very good as an impersonator. He really does a good job sounding like the 60s Elvis. But he really sounds like all those other impersonators when he's doing the "70s Elvis". How come that impersonators think that they can do a voice from the 50s Elvis to the 70s Elvis? That is simply impossible!
    May I point out that Jamie only started out doing Elvis in his shows due to his uncannily similar voice. I don't think you'll get a closer 50's sounding Elvis than Jamie

Jamie 50's Medley

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith F
    May I point out that Jamie only started out doing Elvis in his shows due to his uncannily similar voice. I don't think you'll get a closer 50's sounding Elvis than Jamie

Keith
    well i dont think anyone could do better than that other than elvis himself,...why are we keep bringing up this subject about impersonator ?
    ..this is where ELVIS fans meet not impersonators. (h)

International Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jbgude

How many tried to copy it and fell flat on their faces Donny Osmond, Sly and the Family Stones... just as no one else could carry off using the " 2001" theme to announce their entrance on stage.
    Hey jb,

Do you know Elvis himself established the contact between The Osmonds and Bill Belew? He actually advised them to wear suits like his, because they - at the time - were doing very physical live shows as well! He gave them some other advice when they first started out in Vegas as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jbgude
    I personally dislike all the jump suits Elvis wore after 1970 - and I even complained about it then - Elvis did not need those over jeweled flashy suits ( to each his own, I know that there are the jump suit fanatics in thousands) - and sadly - it has been turned into a convenient symbol for any person wanting instant fame or recognition - especially the overweight pot- bellied wannabe's :bash:

There has been very few that even come anywhere close to looking and moving like Elvis in his prime. I just wish they would all go away.

jb
    Ditto on the jumpsuits. I, too, like the simpler ones better, with one real exception: the Aloha suit.

As for impersonators and/or tribute artists: deep down inside, you can just tell, they all secretly hope somebody will come up to them and say "Gee, you are so much like Elvis, you could be his twin!" Except none of them can truly hold a candle to our man

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by buttonhead
    well i dont think anyone could do better than that other than elvis himself,...why are we keep bringing up this subject about impersonator ?
    ..this is where ELVIS fans meet not impersonators. (h)
    Couldn't have said it any better
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

My opinion is this whole topic is OFF TOPIC

'What, honey ? ..... one scarf for the balcony ?! ........... OK ........... gimme a baseball ! ............ there's no way unless you put a rock in it'.

(Las Vegas - 7th December 1975)

Mad Tigers
    Quote Originally Posted by circa1956
    his pick-up line was "Hey pretty mama, let's sit down, have a drink and dig the band" *shudders* If I was rude I could have said something smart back like "A-drink-drink-drink of fiddle-de-dink I'm gonna bust your big fat head." But I said "No thank you" and got out of there fast.

- Stace
    LOL Stace,
    I love that line from Bossa Nova, but never thought it would be among someone's repertoire (sp) of pick up lines, how sad.

Freddie star

Say"s it all.

KEV.
    HELLO,I MUST BE GOING.

SAM...it"s been a privilege to be called your best mate.17.03.55 - 24.01.08

http://www.gould68.freeserve.co.uk/HankGarlandBio.html

International Level

re:

Hey as you know I'm for Elvis Tribute Artist. People ask me why I do this after every show or contest. And it comes really easy. I could not think of any better why of saying thank you to the greatest singer of all time Elvis A. Presley. I know I'm not him nor well I ever come close to that man's talent but why I do this also is bring back Memories for Elvis fans also and for me being 20 I'm trying keep his memories a live to the younger folks. It means world to me when 7 year old comes up to me says "Sir, I'm going buy Elvis CD now because I like his music." As for making money you be surpised half of us give it to charity and keep enought to feed are family. Like me and my Girlfriend, and Daughter. I keep enought put food on table and rest goes some charity.

Your friend,
    Tim Dudley

International Level

Re:

Honestly is best thing bud. But you can if you ever go to shows that do this because they Love Elvis Presley and trying keep his name a live and you can tell ones that are in for it. For the ladies and 15 mins of fame if they get it. I do have thank God every day I've been lucky and in right place. As matter fact listen to audience recording of closing Vegas show on Dec. 15, 1975 he thanks Elvis Impersonator/Tribute Artist in audience. Also you can look in background of this when Elvis was in Vegas. When he didn ot have show he would sneak over and sit in back of hotel the Silver Eagle if I remember right and watch guy by the name of Johnny Harra. Who also played elvis in CBS Special "This is Elvis" that was natural voice of Johnny talking and looks too. I'm not the Best out there. But I try my best bring back memories close as I can but letting them still know I'm Tim Dudley not Elvis. Nor well I ever and I mean Never come close to that mans talent. And his krisma he had on stage with his fan. Always pleasing his fans much as he can. And he never forgot who got him there and thats us the fans. To many of the artist forget who get them there and pays there bills.

Take care and God Bless,
    Tim Dudley
    Dudcowboy_1
    Tim Dudley "A History of Elvis Show"

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast