Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ted Kennedy Dies at 77

Ted Kennedy Dies at 77

Here is a link to a New York Tomes article. The Senator suffered from brain cancer, which was diagnosed last year.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/27/us...y.html?_r=1&hp

Edward Kennedy dies at age 77

Attachment 32496Senator Edward Kennedy dies at age 77

'Lion of the Senate' leaves strong legacy
    Slideshow:Sen. Edward Kennedy dies at 77
    HYANNIS PORT, Massachusetts (Reuters) U.S. Senator Edward Kennedy, a towering figure in the Democratic Party who took the helm of one of America's most fabled political families after two older brothers were assassinated, died at age 77, his family said.

"Edward M. Kennedy, the husband, father, grandfather, brother and uncle we loved so deeply, died late Tuesday night at home in Hyannis Port (Massachusetts)," the Kennedy family said in a statement early on Wednesday.

Kennedy had brain cancer, which was diagnosed in May 2008.

He was one of the most influential and longest-serving senators in U.S. history, a liberal standard-bearer who recovered politically from a string of personal scandals to become known as a consummate congressional dealmaker.

Kennedy's death marked the twilight of a political dynasty and dealt a blow to Democrats as they seek to answer President Barack Obama's call for an overhaul of the healthcare system.

Kennedy was a longtime advocate of healthcare reform, a signature issue of Obama's presidency. Obama said on Wednesday he was heartbroken to hear of the death of Kennedy, a crucial supporter of his presidential candidacy.

"I valued his wise counsel in the Senate, where, regardless of the swirl of events, he always had time for a new colleague," said Obama. "I cherished his confidence and momentous support in my race for the presidency. And even as he waged a valiant struggle with a mortal illness, I've profited as president from his encouragement and wisdom."

Kennedy's endorsement of Obama last year was seen as pivotal in Obama's winning of the Democratic presidential nomination. Many saw the endorsement of the first-term senator as the passing of the political torch to a new generation. A year to the day before his death, Kennedy made an electrifying speech to the Democratic convention that nominated Obama for president.

Kennedy had recently urged Massachusetts lawmakers to change state law so the Democratic governor, if necessary, could quickly fill a Senate vacancy as the chamber debates the contentious healthcare issue.

Known as "Teddy," he was the brother of President John Kennedy, assassinated in 1963, Senator Robert Kennedy, fatally shot while campaigning for the 1968 Democratic presidential nomination, and Joe Kennedy, a pilot killed in World War Two.

His charisma as "the last of the Kennedy brothers" was such that draft-Teddy drives were a feature of U.S. presidential election years from 1968 through the 1980s.

When he first took the Senate seat previously held by John Kennedy in 1962, he was seen as something of a political lightweight who owed his ascent to his famous name.

Yet during his nearly half century in the chamber, Kennedy became known as one of Washington's most effective senators, crafting legislation by working with lawmakers and presidents of both parties, and finding unlikely allies.

At the same time, he held fast to liberal causes deemed anachronistic by the centrist "New Democrats" and was a lightning rod for conservative ire.

He helped enact measures to protect civil and labor rights, expand healthcare, upgrade schools, increase student aid and contain the spread of nuclear weapons.

"There's a lot to do," Kennedy told Reuters in 2006. "I think most of all it's the injustice that I continue to see and the opportunity to have some impact on it."

After Robert Kennedy's death, Edward was expected to waste little time in vying for the presidency. But in 1969, a young woman drowned after a car Kennedy was driving plunged off a bridge on the Massachusetts resort island of Chappaquiddick after a night of partying.

Kennedy's image was tarnished after it emerged he had failed to report the accident to authorities. He pleaded guilty to leaving the scene and received a suspended sentence.

Kennedy eventually ran for his party's presidential nomination in 1980 but lost to then-President Jimmy Carter.

His presidential ambitions thwarted, Kennedy devoted himself to his Senate career.

A 2009 survey by The Hill, a Capitol Hill publication, found that Senate Republicans believed Kennedy was the chamber's easiest Democrat to work with and most bipartisan.

Republican Senator John McCain called him "the single most effective member of the Senate if you want to get results."

'LION' BATTLED ON

Kennedy had been largely sidelined in Congress since becoming ill. The "Lion of the Senate" began to use a cane and often looked tired and drained as he mixed work with treatment.

Yet colleagues and staff said he remained determined to fulfill what he called "the cause of my life," providing health insurance to all Americans. He helped draft legislation to overhaul the $2.5 trillion U.S. healthcare system.

Kennedy's interest in healthcare dated from his own back injury suffered during a 1964 plane crash that damaged his spine and left him with persistent pain, and later, his son's bout with cancer in the 1970s. More recently, he cited his own illness as he made a case for reform.

"I've benefited from the best of medicine but I've also witnessed the frustration and outrage of patients and doctors alike as they face the challenges of a system that shortchanges millions of Americans," he wrote in a May 28 issue of the Boston Globe.

Kennedy never fully escaped the cloud of the Chappaquiddick accident. A decades-long argument arose about whether the senator, who was married to Joan Kennedy at the time, tried to cover up his involvement by leaving the scene while Mary Jo Kopechne's body remained submerged and whether police helped sweep such questions under the rug. All involved denied any cover-up.

Kennedy was divorced from Joan in 1983.

Later crises involving younger Kennedys, notably the 1991 Palm Beach rape trial of his nephew, William Kennedy Smith, caught a bloated and weary-looking Uncle Ted in a media glare. Reports of heavy drinking and womanizing led to a public apology for "the faults in the conduct of my private life."

Kennedy was remarried soon after that to Victoria Reggie, a 38-year-old lawyer with two young children from her first marriage. He poured renewed energy into the Senate, where he would become the third-longest serving senator in history.

Even his Republican foes recognized Kennedy's dedication as he worked to protect civil rights, give federal help to the poor, contain the spread of nuclear weapons, raise the minimum wage, expand health coverage and improve America's schools.

FAMILY STANDARDS

Born on February 22, 1932, Edward Moore Kennedy was the last of four sons and five daughters born to millionaire businessman Joseph Kennedy, who would later be ambassador to Britain, and his wife, Rose.

The Boston Irish family combined the competitive spirit of nouveau riche immigrants with acquired polish and natural charm. The sons were expected to mature into presidential timber and were groomed for that starting with the oldest, Joseph Jr., a bomber pilot who died in World War Two.

"I think about my brothers every day," Kennedy told Reuters. "They set high standards. Sometimes you measure up, sometimes you don't."

Like his brothers, Kennedy was known for his oratory, delivered in a booming voice at rallies, congressional hearings and in the Senate.

He drew praise from liberals, labor and civil rights groups and scorn from conservatives, big business and anti-abortion and pro-gun activists. His image was often used by Republicans in ads as a money-raising tool.

In May 2008, Edward Kennedy collapsed at his Cape Cod home and was flown to hospital in Boston, where he was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. Brain cancer kills half its victims within a year.

(Additional reporting by Thomas Ferraro in Washington and Patricia Zengerle in Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts; Editing by Peter Cooney and Jackie Frank)
    Last edited by john carpenter; 09-28-2009 at 12:03 PM.
    I'm the King of the Jungle, They call me Tigerman

]

Re: Ted Kennedy Dies at 77

I am so sad to hear this. John Kennedy was my all time favorite president and Ted was the last of the three brothers. May he rest in peace.

Diane

Meh.

He'll be remembered for one thing: Chappaquiddick.

In memory of Mary Jo Kopechne, an innocent victim of political lying and scumbaggery.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Meh.

In memory of Mary Jo Kopechne, an innocent victim of political lying and scumbaggery.

Excuse me who are YOU again..??? for many americans he is considered a hero...

..knock it off Get .... what is it WRONG with you? if this is a joke... then say it ..It was a joke...

if y'all remember his speech at JFK funerals... it still bring tears to my eyes..

Coming On Strong

HE'LL BE REMEMBERED RIP

May he RIP.

franny

Loving elvis

I have read a couple of books about the Kennedys and really enjoyed them. This is sad news to hear about Ted Kennedy. Rest in peace.

International Level elvispresleytheking's Avatar

We knew it was coming, but sad nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by buttonhead View Post
    Excuse me who are YOU again..??? for many americans he is considered a hero..
    So is the "Reverend" Fred Phelps ... it still doesn't make it right.

I find nothing heroic in a man who took ten hours to call for help while his passenger lay dying in his car. I wonder if Mary Jo Kopechne's family thought Kennedy was a hero? And, Mary Jo aside, just how was he a hero anyway?

Kennedy never made up for this heinous crime, IMO. And he only got off scot free because he was a Kennedy.

And I am far from a conservative, politically speaking.

if y'all remember his speech at JFK funeral
    I wonder who delivered the eulogy at Mary Jo's funeral, and who cried for her?
    Last edited by Getlo; 08-28-2009 at 07:38 PM.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

My heart goes out to his family and friends. I hate to see anyone suffer the terrible thing that is called "grief"....but I also can understand where Getlo is going with his posts.

Chappaquiddick was something Teddy Kennedy never got past in his lifetime. It has always been labeled a "cover up" and I imagine it will forever remain so. The "Kennedy" name and their political connections were held so highly that Ted did not get what a normal person would get if they did the same act. That is where the justice system failed, yet again, by being swayed in favor of the 'haves' versus the 'have nots'...whether it be money, prestige, or fame. The scales are not always balanced....

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

Meh.

You Are Spot On And May She Rest In Peace.

Excuse me who are YOU again..??? for many americans he is considered a hero...

..knock it off Get .... what is it WRONG with you? if this is a joke... then say it ..It was a joke...

if y'all remember his speech at JFK funerals... it still bring tears to my eyes..
    While Ted Kennedy may have done some good things in his political career, for many Americans, he is far from a hero, I live with one politically active american, my husband, who will rant about the unjustice Kennedy committed. Sorry, but for that young woman's life, he really deserved jail time. And had he been anyone else but a Kennedy, he'd have gotten it.
    And please, this is just a statement, my opinion, not a jumping board for a political debate. That said, Ted Kennedy, rest in peace.

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

I'm not condoning what Ted Kennedy did to that poor woman but I can see that it was a natural instinct for him to do a cover up. The Kennedy's were like royalty in this country and I'm sure this was bred in.

It was a very wrong thing to do but I'll bet it weighed heavily on Ted all of his life. I don't think he was without conscious like O. J. Simpson for instance.

Diane

Cadillac King

Ted Kennedy was a good and decent man who made mistakes and used poor judgment at times. He was - like Elvis - a human being. In spite of the burden and grief of the many losses in his young adult life, he found the courage and strength to move forward, to lead....and love. He sought a better way for the lives of many and worked tirelessly to that end. He loved his family and his country. He made a difference. The rest is really between Ted Kennedy and his God.

May he rest in eternal peace.

Meh.

Having read a couple books on the subject this is another where you have to decide what was the truth.
    He did take 10 hours to get help-but he also according to one account had a concussion.
    If he had a concussion there is some ground to defend his actions-since he would not be thinking nor reacting normally.
    But his real problem drinking may have caused the accident-which is another matter.
    I disagree that this is all he will be remembered for-his life was made up of 77years-he worked tirelessly for health care, for the common men and women of America who he championed and for the ideals of liberal thinkers.
    Conservatives will always remember his drinking, womanizing, and this incident as the epitome of his life. Liberals will see the positives I mentioned and that will be their view of his life.
    IMO he worked for good things for Americans, but had an imperfect life full of contradictions.
    Work in Progress!

R.I.P. MaryJo

I will never forget you Rosanne.
    R.I.P. 4-27-59~7-22-09

Nothing gets me madder than a drunk driver and it doesn't matter what your last name is! A drunk driver kills. It's a strange thing to me why they don't go after the drunk drivers like they should. If they don't want people driving drunk, then make the punishment not worth the risk. Caught driving drunk - 10 years AUTOMATICALLY - NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!! And, if you kill someone while intoxicated - automatic life sentence!! Or, why don't they tax the alcohol like they have the cigarettes? Guess that might hit their pocketbooks if they did that, huh? Unfortunately, the world we live in will always have Kennedys and Simpsons with their big pocketbooks that can buy them out of anything. One rule for all is something we'll never see.

And, looking at the above picture - look how long those poor parents had to live without their daughter!! Wonder if they were taken care of by the Kennedys - lol!!!

Forever Best Friends

Cadillac King

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyInsane View Post
    Nothing gets me madder than a drunk driver and it doesn't matter what your last name is! A drunk driver kills. It's a strange thing to me why they don't go after the drunk drivers like they should. If they don't want people driving drunk, then make the punishment not worth the risk. Caught driving drunk - 10 years AUTOMATICALLY - NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!! And, if you kill someone while intoxicated - automatic life sentence!! Or, why don't they tax the alcohol like they have the cigarettes? Guess that might hit their pocketbooks if they did that, huh? Unfortunately, the world we live in will always have Kennedys and Simpsons with their big pocketbooks that can buy them out of anything. One rule for all is something we'll never see.

And, looking at the above picture - look how long those poor parents had to live without their daughter!! Wonder if they were taken care of by the Kennedys - lol!!!
    I have similar thoughts about drunk driving.

Alcohol is a legal drug.

IMO, Despite evidence of its negative impact, its abuse has become too accepted in society and 'drinking' is casually viewed as a form of entertainment.

"They" is really us. The type of punishments you have mentioned can only be enacted if people support it. Unfortunately, it seems the majority does not feel alcohol use warrants this. Big Pocketbooks also come in the form of Big Business - the alcohol manufacturers themselves. Revenue is generated, the Government collects its taxes.

And sorry, I did not spend much time looking at the picture posted above. Although I understand it, I was taken aback by its presence and felt uncomfortable viewing it.

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyInsane View Post

Kennedy said on national tv he had not been drinking that night- and that he had no relationship with Mary Jo other than professional.
    She was actually a campaign worker for Bobby Kennedy during his run for president-it was a reunion of those workers that she was attending with Ted.
    Its another situation where so much has been written about that its hard to know what the truth really was. I have a couple books about it and one pretty much says it was just a horrid accident with no real fault to anyone-the other barbecues Ted Kennedy and claims all kinds of things-and hints at Mary Jo being possibly pregnant ???????????
    Whatever the whole truth is-she is still dead and it was a huge black spot on Kennedys life.
    Like I said people who do not like his politics will see it one way and those who are of his politics will see it another.
    I guess I'm kind of in the middle.
    Work in Progress!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast