Thread: Elvis and his mom ?

Elvis and his mom ?

How do u think Elvis's life would have differed if his mom had lived into the 70s like Vernon ?
    Do u think she could have slowed the King down from all the touring perhaps been there with him at Graceland, and who knows kept Elvis with us now. Of course that throws up the question of would he have become so huge, so legendary if he HADNT of died ? hmmm ?

Re: Elvis and his mom ?

Sorry, dude, but there's at least two threads discussing this same topic elsewhere ...
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

I think it would have been different absolutly.
    His mum was everything for him.
    She had slow down the Tours , the druks ,everything.
    Maybe he would be there in this time.

nobody knows if she could have made a difference.
    When he wanted to be, he was his own Man, and at some point those apron strings would break
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

SleepyJack

Had Gladys lived I think she may very well have been the only person capable of doing the best thing for Elvis..... booting Colonel Parker`s big fat bum completely off the playing-field.

Well, Elvis was a grown man, but if Gladys hadn't died in 1958 Elvis would've not depended on drugs to help him cope with her death. He would've spent more time at Graceland and not toured so much, because he spent money to fill a void in his life. He would've had a happier life Imo, if his mother had lived until the 70's or until she was in her senior years. Glady's would've been there August 16, 1977, and we wouldn't be discussing this now.
    I'm the King of the Jungle, They call me Tigerman

]

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyJack View Post
    Had Gladys lived I think she may very well have been the only person capable of doing the best thing for Elvis..... booting Colonel Parker`s big fat bum completely off the playing-field.
    Along with some of the MM and I doubt it Priscilla would have been living with him before they got married.

Diane

I think she was the only one not afraid to confront Elvis so she would have been a good influence for him untiil the end whether he would have listened to her or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I think she was the only one not afraid to confront Elvis so she would have been a good influence for him untiil the end whether he would have listened to her or not.
    I agree, I think some of what she had to say would have gotten through to him but not all....like any other son. Nevertheless, some would have been better than none....

Diane

I think elvis would have gone down a diffrent route in his life had his mom been around!

elvislady

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I agree, I think some of what she had to say would have gotten through to him but not all....like any other son. Nevertheless, some would have been better than none....

Diane
    I agree there Diane
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Backstage Pass

Quote Originally Posted by john carpenter View Post
    Well, Elvis was a grown man, but if Gladys hadn't died in 1958 Elvis would've not depended on drugs to help him cope with her death. He would've spent more time at Graceland and not toured so much, because he spent money to fill a void in his life. He would've had a happier life Imo, if his mother had lived until the 70's or until she was in her senior years. Glady's would've been there August 16, 1977, and we wouldn't be discussing this now.
    I agree....Elvis himself said losing her was the greatest tragedy of his life....

Great replys guys, we all [well most] seem to agree she could have made a significant diff, and i also believe we wouldnt be talking about AUG16 at all.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dennyelvis View Post
    How do u think Elvis's life would have differed if his mom had lived into the 70s like Vernon ?
    Do u think she could have slowed the King down from all the touring perhaps been there with him at Graceland, and who knows kept Elvis with us now. Of course that throws up the question of would he have become so huge, so legendary if he HADNT of died ? hmmm ?
    ABSOLUTELY!!!

I have no doubt in my mind that if Gladys had lived, things would have been MUCH different in Elvis' life. Elvis was Glady's life and he told her just about everything, so I am sure if she had seen/heard about some of the things that The Colonel was doing to Elvis and his career (locking him into the endless stream of musicals, touring, etc.), Gladys would have had NO problem standing up to The Colonel and telling him off or convincing Elvis to fire him.

As for the drugs....perhaps she would not have been able to stop him from taking them, but I am SURE she would have seen what they were doing to him and would have done whatever she had to in order to try and get Elvis to stop...and if he was going to listen to anyone, it would have been her!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Yep. completely agree with ALL of that !!!

Along with some of the MM and I doubt it Priscilla would have been living with him before they got married.

Diane
    Now don't hate me, Diane, but. . .

Now, that I think I might have to disagree with. First of all, Gladys and Vernon would be living in the house, so Pris may have had her own room. Maybe Gladys would have talked Elvis out of bringing her over so soon, but in my opinion, Elvis would not have forgotten about Priscilla. Maybe later she would have made it to Memphis. Much later, like when she was at least 18. Gladys seemed to have liked most of the women Elvis dated, & a lot of them spent a lot of time at Graceland in their own room - the "Elvis' Guest Room", no doubt. Or who knows maybe Elvis would have built a room just to house his current girl.

And I can only pray that she would have gotten rid of or at least twisted the col.'s bollocks so that he really was taking care of Elvis' career. She was a Tigress when it came to her baby boy!
    Last edited by Lisarose; 08-28-2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: add comment!

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

Quote Originally Posted by Lisarose View Post
    Now don't hate me, Diane, but. . .

Now, that I think I might have to disagree with. First of all, Gladys and Vernon would be living in the house, so Pris may have had her own room. Maybe Gladys would have talked Elvis out of bringing her over so soon, but in my opinion, Elvis would not have forgotten about Priscilla. Maybe later she would have made it to Memphis. Much later, like when she was at least 18. Gladys seemed to have liked most of the women Elvis dated, & a lot of them spent a lot of time at Graceland in their own room - the "Elvis' Guest Room", no doubt. Or who knows maybe Elvis would have built a room just to house his current girl.

And I can only pray that she would have gotten rid of or at least twisted the col.'s bollocks so that he really was taking care of Elvis' career. She was a Tigress when it came to her baby boy!
    No way would I hate you Maybe Gladys was more permissive than I thought she was. I do know she wanted Elvis to settle down with someone and have children.

I still think though that Elvis' life would have been very different had Gladys lived in a lot of ways.

Diane

International Level

No way would I hate you Maybe Gladys was more permissive than I thought she was. I do know she wanted Elvis to settle down with someone and have children.

I still think though that Elvis' life would have been very different had Gladys lived in a lot of ways.

Diane
    I agree that Elvis' life would have been different if his mother had lived. I think
    he would have been happier, less lonely and he would have someone he
    could go to and confide in when he was troubled. I think that Gladys would
    have gone along with whatever Elvis wanted; but, I also agree she was a
    tigress when it came to protecting him from unscrupulous persons. I think
    his relationship with Col. Parker would have been different around Gladys.
    Maybe, with his mother still alive, Elvis would never have felt the need for
    the prescription medicine. Maybe she could have gotten him the medical help
    that he needed. But, she did die and all the speculating in the world can't
    change things.
    "talk about the good times"

I dought Elvis would have died if she had not.
    Sincerely,
    Mr.TCB