Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Elvis inspired films..

  1. #1
    TCB Mafia Princess franny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,444

    Elvis inspired films..

    Elvis inspired films are a strangely satisfying lot: As we all know of course, Elvis never died. No, none of that ridiculous "he's living with aliens on another planet" conspiracy nonsense. Elvis never really died because he continues to influence the arts, even to this day. Not just in music, but in film as well. Whether he's a sexual deviant, an invisible friend or even a mummy-hunting geriatric, The King lives on in our hearts, minds and movie theaters, and he will for a very long time to come. "Bubba Ho-Tep" (2002): Might as well hit the ground with guns blazing. The conceit behind Don Coscarelli's "Bubba Ho-Tep" alone is enough to sell it. Elvis (Bruce Campbell!) never died; he simply went into hiding in a Texas nursing home, the same place where an in-hiding John F. Kennedy -- who is apparently a black man, played by Ossie Davis -- is also living out his twilight years. That same nursing home becomes the target of an ancient mummy, which preys on residents as they sit on the crapper. Only the geriatric superpowers of JFK and The King can save the day.
    "Honeymoon in Vegas" (1992): Against all odds, "Honeymoon in Vegas" works. On the eve of their Las Vegas wedding, Jack (Nicolas Cage) and Betsy (Sarah Jessica Parker) are caught in a sticky situation: come up with Jack's $65,000 poker debt -- lost in a rigged game, 'natch -- or leave Betsy in the care of dirty-dealing pro gambler Tommy Korman (James Caan) for the weekend. The predictable beats that follow reach their climax when Jack hitches a ride back to Vegas aboard a plane full of skydiving Elvis impersonators in light-up jumpsuits. Sure, Elvis Presley doesn't actually appear as a character in this movie. But I figure that 100 skydiving King impersonators is a mighty close second.

    "True Romance" (1993): In Quentin Tarantino's first script, a love story, Clarence Worley (Christian Slater) and Alabama Whitman (Patricia Arquette) try to run away together by selling off a bundle of stolen cocaine. Of course, anytime a large stash of drugs is stolen you can expect large brutes with guns to follow the trailer. Such is the case in "True Romance," as Clarence and Alabama get mixed up in all sorts of trouble. Through all of the madness, the one thing that keeps Clarence together is his imaginary pal Elvis. Whenever the crises reach unmanageable proportions, he ducks away for a chat with The King -- played by Val Kilmer --to get his head straight.
    "Forrest Gump" (1994): Little do we all know it, but the world would have been a much different place if a young Elvis Presley hadn't stopped for a night at a little bed and breakfast in Greenbow, Alabama. That's where The King met a young Forrest Gump (Tom Hanks), who taught the future rock star how to shake his hips. That signature dance move inspired millions of young women, angered twice as many parents and was in many ways the keystone of a cultural revolution. All thanks to little Forrest and those ****able leg braces of his.
    "Sleeping Dogs Lie" (2006): Elvis plays a minor role in "Sleeping Dogs Lie," a twisted rom-com from the mind of Bobcat Goldthwait. The bulk of the story revolves around Amy (Melinda Page Hamilton), a newly engaged young woman who labors over whether to share a dirty, shameful secret with her husband-to-be: that she... errr... pleasured her dog on a whim one quiet college evening. In an effort to inspire her daughter to be honest -- not knowing what the secret is of course -- Amy's mother relates the story of Elvis once having her and a friend wrestle in his bedroom while he watched. There's also a Roy Orbison anecdote, but he died in December. (Celluloid Elvis, Source: moviesblog.mtv.com)

  2. #2
    International Level
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hamilton, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    540

    Re: Elvis inspired films..

    Quote Originally Posted by franny View Post
    Elvis inspired films are a strangely satisfying lot: As we all know of course, Elvis never died. No, none of that ridiculous "he's living with aliens on another planet" conspiracy nonsense. Elvis never really died because he continues to influence the arts, even to this day. Not just in music, but in film as well. Whether he's a sexual deviant, an invisible friend or even a mummy-hunting geriatric, The King lives on in our hearts, minds and movie theaters, and he will for a very long time to come. "Bubba Ho-Tep" (2002): Might as well hit the ground with guns blazing. The conceit behind Don Coscarelli's "Bubba Ho-Tep" alone is enough to sell it. Elvis (Bruce Campbell!) never died; he simply went into hiding in a Texas nursing home, the same place where an in-hiding John F. Kennedy -- who is apparently a black man, played by Ossie Davis -- is also living out his twilight years. That same nursing home becomes the target of an ancient mummy, which preys on residents as they sit on the crapper. Only the geriatric superpowers of JFK and The King can save the day.
    "Honeymoon in Vegas" (1992): Against all odds, "Honeymoon in Vegas" works. On the eve of their Las Vegas wedding, Jack (Nicolas Cage) and Betsy (Sarah Jessica Parker) are caught in a sticky situation: come up with Jack's $65,000 poker debt -- lost in a rigged game, 'natch -- or leave Betsy in the care of dirty-dealing pro gambler Tommy Korman (James Caan) for the weekend. The predictable beats that follow reach their climax when Jack hitches a ride back to Vegas aboard a plane full of skydiving Elvis impersonators in light-up jumpsuits. Sure, Elvis Presley doesn't actually appear as a character in this movie. But I figure that 100 skydiving King impersonators is a mighty close second.

    "True Romance" (1993): In Quentin Tarantino's first script, a love story, Clarence Worley (Christian Slater) and Alabama Whitman (Patricia Arquette) try to run away together by selling off a bundle of stolen cocaine. Of course, anytime a large stash of drugs is stolen you can expect large brutes with guns to follow the trailer. Such is the case in "True Romance," as Clarence and Alabama get mixed up in all sorts of trouble. Through all of the madness, the one thing that keeps Clarence together is his imaginary pal Elvis. Whenever the crises reach unmanageable proportions, he ducks away for a chat with The King -- played by Val Kilmer --to get his head straight.
    "Forrest Gump" (1994): Little do we all know it, but the world would have been a much different place if a young Elvis Presley hadn't stopped for a night at a little bed and breakfast in Greenbow, Alabama. That's where The King met a young Forrest Gump (Tom Hanks), who taught the future rock star how to shake his hips. That signature dance move inspired millions of young women, angered twice as many parents and was in many ways the keystone of a cultural revolution. All thanks to little Forrest and those ****able leg braces of his.
    "Sleeping Dogs Lie" (2006): Elvis plays a minor role in "Sleeping Dogs Lie," a twisted rom-com from the mind of Bobcat Goldthwait. The bulk of the story revolves around Amy (Melinda Page Hamilton), a newly engaged young woman who labors over whether to share a dirty, shameful secret with her husband-to-be: that she... errr... pleasured her dog on a whim one quiet college evening. In an effort to inspire her daughter to be honest -- not knowing what the secret is of course -- Amy's mother relates the story of Elvis once having her and a friend wrestle in his bedroom while he watched. There's also a Roy Orbison anecdote, but he died in December. (Celluloid Elvis, Source: moviesblog.mtv.com)
    Of these, I have only seen the Forrest Gump and I don't think I have missed
    a thing!
    "talk about the good times"

  3. #3
    PINK Cadillac Lisarose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    GulfCoast, Texas
    Posts
    3,107

    Re: Elvis inspired films..

    Oh come on! I loved Bubba Ho-Tep! But then I'm a fan of Bruce Campbell.
    How about Heartbreak Hotel? With Tuesday Weld - not bad, then there was the hilarious, IMO, Top Secret - the ballet scene still cracks me up!


    Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

  4. #4
    Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    in the cold Kentucky rain
    Posts
    7,513

    Re: Elvis inspired films..

    3000 miles to graceland is great, i loved it with kurt russel.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977


  5. #5
    International Level rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    891

    Re: Elvis inspired films..

    Bubba Ho-Tep is wonderful, Bruce Campbell's best non-Ash role.

  6. #6
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: Elvis inspired films..

    Forrest Gump and Vegas Honeymoon were okay the rest were terrible.

  7. #7

    Re: Elvis inspired films..

    Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    3000 miles to graceland is great, i loved it with kurt russel.


    love that film to!

    elvislady

  8. #8
    TCB Mafia EnigmaticSun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Beucha
    Posts
    1,754

    jack singer and his mom

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Forrest Gump and Vegas Honeymoon were okay the rest were terrible.
    Yes they were enjoyable! And Elvis-themed music is playing regularly in Honeymoon in Vegas..
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

    all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

  9. #9
    PeacockLady Diane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    11,636

    Re: Elvis inspired films..

    Thanks Franny, interesting article. I liked several of the Elvis inspired movies. Bubba Ho-Tep was definitely a favorite but I did enjoy 3000 To Graceland and I'm not sure of the title but Looking for Graceland might be it.

    Diane

  10. #10
    TCB Mafia john carpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    1,867

    Re: Elvis inspired films..

    Elvis has left the building with Kim BasingerAttachment 32432
    Last edited by john carpenter; 09-28-2009 at 12:03 PM.
    I'm the King of the Jungle, They call me Tigerman

    ]

  11. #11
    Tupelo Cake Donut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Elvis inspired films..

    I think I've said this before but my all time favorite is Top Secret

    _________________

  12. #12
    TCB Mafia Teddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Your Heart
    Posts
    3,531

    Re: Elvis inspired films..

    There's a lot of the Elvis story reflected in the plot of Walk Hard
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Walk Hard.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	32433
    'Taking Care of Beaulieu'.

  13. #13
    Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In Your Heart
    Posts
    5,993

    Re: Elvis inspired films..

    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    There's a lot of the Elvis story reflected in the plot of Walk Hard
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Walk Hard.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	32433
    I bought this on DVD, it's a bit on the long side and probably reflects Johnny Cash more than Elvis but is never the less very funny if you stick it out.

    Bubba Ho-Tep is very good, a little odd but good.

    Top Secret, what a blast from the past, very funny indeed.

    3000 Miles To Graceland is great, The suits look awesome and I like Kurt Russell and Kevin Costner.

  14. #14
    Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    in the cold Kentucky rain
    Posts
    7,513

    Re: Elvis inspired films..

    Quote Originally Posted by john carpenter View Post
    Elvis has left the building with Kim BasingerAttachment 32432
    I got this last year and still haven't found time to watch it
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977


  15. #15
    TCB Mafia Teddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Your Heart
    Posts
    3,531

    Re: Elvis inspired films..

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    I bought this on DVD, it's a bit on the long side and probably reflects Johnny Cash more than Elvis but is never the less very funny if you stick it out.
    I love it Yes, it's like a parody of Walk The Line, Ray, The Doors and all the Elvis biopics.
    'Taking Care of Beaulieu'.

  16. #16
    International Level
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hamilton, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    540

    Re: Elvis inspired films..

    Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    3000 miles to graceland is great, i loved it with kurt russel.
    I hated that movie! I bought the dvd in a bargain bin thinking it would be
    about Elvis. Boy, was I disappointed!! I can't give the thing away!!!Nobody
    I know wants it.
    "talk about the good times"

  17. #17
    SleepyJack
    Guest

    Re: Elvis inspired films..

    Does the movie "Wild at heart" count?..The one with Nicholas Cage....complete with his version of "Love Me"!!!...odd movie..but I kinda liked it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •