Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Michael Jackson will surpass Elvis as the top earning dead celeb?

Re: Do you think Michael Jackson will surpass Elvis as the top earning dead celeb?

Quote Originally Posted by malc07 View Post
    I personally dont think MJ will EVER reach the scale that Elvis has.....
    and from what I see here in the UK...MJ has already been forgotten....
    The Passing of our Dearly loved Friend Rosanne.has created a bigger outpouring of grief and loss than MJ...and quite rightly so...in a short while MJ will be a hasbeen...But Rosanne will ALWAYS be remembered..just Like Our ELVIS....2 very special Unique people.who we MISS Dearly.
    I agree with ya' Mate! Why ain't you at work?
    I'm the King of the Jungle, They call me Tigerman

]

International Level

Re: Do you think Michael Jackson will surpass Elvis as the top earning dead celeb?

Quote Originally Posted by kathy parkinson View Post
    For me personally, it's not about financial gain. I couldn't care less how much money either of them earns in the future, it's the music what counts and the person who's singing the songs and Elvis wins hands down on both accounts, no contest.
    I agree with what you say, totally.
    "talk about the good times"

The Passing of our Dearly loved Friend Rosanne.has created a bigger outpouring of grief and loss than MJ...and quite rightly so...in a short while MJ will be a hasbeen...But Rosanne will ALWAYS be remembered..just Like Our ELVIS....2 very special Unique people.who we MISS Dearly.
    You said it all my friend!!

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Yep, I think this year will obviously see a sharp rise in Jackson's posthumous earning power but I don't think his legacy is sustainable in the way that Elvis's is, for reasons which I've already raised on other MJ-related threads here.

One of the main reasons is that there's just a lot less product to peddle in terms of recorded material. Elvis's catalogue of music and film is vast compared to Jackson's and any rumors you've heard about vaults full of Thriller-standard Jacko music have to be absolute nonsense. Sure, there will probably be some decent unfinished tracks which are no-doubt being hastily shopped around marketable collaborators for remixing as I write, but if they were in such great supply and presentable form, then rest assured you would have heard them already- Sony do actually want to make back some of the fortune they spent on the guy in recent years and they haven't been waiting for him to die to do it, all cynicism aside.

Also, Elvis's ability to crossover markets is greater than Jackson's. As an interpretive singer, Elvis took pride in his adaptability of style and breadth of range as he tackled material from a huge variety of sources throughout his career. By contrast the adult Jackson was a relative one-trick-pony, albeit an instantly-recognizable and brilliant trick, depending upon how much you appreciate breathy squeaks and ubiquitous "hee-heeee"s. This might not seem that important, but when you consider the manner in which expired vocalists' performances are sold and consumed in recent years, often alongside a current artist in a completely different audio environment than the original recording, then Elvis' flexibility becomes an attractive asset. I'm not saying that posthumous collaborations aren't available to Michael, only that they're just as limited as his back-catalogue.

Speaking of which, most people who weren't massive fans, but still liked Michael enough to not be put off by the child-molestation allegations, bought his 2003 'Number Ones' package at the time, and the ones who didn't acquired the content shortly after discovering he was dead, so that's a massive potential market who've already shot-their-bolt as far as his sales of existing music is concerned for quite a while. Of course music can be 'sold' in different ways- we'll get around to that later.

As for the child-molestation itself, while he was never actually convicted of such a thing, and the majority 'on the fence' about his alleged guilt have adopted a selective amnesia for the purpose of his mourning, I suspect that this is a temporary atmosphere of clemency. Now that the funereal circus is over, there is already a kind of stunned apathy emerging which is likely to give way to the same old misgivings about his suspected guilt. Except worse, because people are beginning to feel guilty themselves for eulogizing him. That really doesn't bode well for long-term marketability. You only have to talk to the man in the street.
    This unfortunate association originally kept product endorsements at bay and Jackson almost completely off the radio for years, so in the obvious absence of any forthcoming live appearances, and most domestic music consumers already in possession of any tracks which they were ever likely to buy, the salability of his music is greatly compromised, despite any residual acceptance while he isn't presenting any immediate threat to children(!)

Remember, from a 'profile' perspective, Michael's alleged child-abuse has been more relevant than his music since 1993. That's almost the duration of the entire second half of his solo career.

If Graceland relied exclusively upon hardcore Elvis fans to make up it's attendance figures it probably would have closed years ago. It remains one of the most successful tourist attractions of all time because there's something about Elvis which appeals even to those who aren't yet fully initiated. At the very least, even non-fans can say they've visited the famous home of the world's original pioneer of popular music. Compare this to the Jacko connotations which almost prohibit his music from a significant proportion of the people who actually like it. Who wants to say they visited 'the infamous suspected crime-scene of the world's highest-profile alleged pedophile'? I really don't see Neverland replicating Graceland's enduring success, since even a faction of his most stalwart fans consider it his nemesis.

Plans for releasing footage of the This Is It rehearsals have a limited shelf-life of profitability, since the sequences were not intended for public consumption and therefore deliberately 'underperformed' to conserve what remained of Jackson's energy for the actual shows. After the initial morbid curiosity has been satisfied, there is unlikely to be a lucrative long-term appeal to the content. We're not talking about the Comeback Special or Aloha here. It's going to be hard enough to package it, never mind re-package it!

For what it's worth, I thought Michael Jackson was an amazing artist and I always had serious doubts about his guilt, but the question here is about his posthumous earning potential, and this is what we have to work with. Especially while he doesn't own the exclusive rights on sales of sequined gloves and fedora hats.
    My fedora is off to you on this one pal!
    Last edited by The King's Queen; 08-18-2009 at 08:26 AM.

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

Quote Originally Posted by The King's Queen View Post
    My fedora is off to you on this one pal!
    Thanks
    'Taking Care of Beaulieu'.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Yep, I think this year will obviously see a sharp rise in Jackson's posthumous earning power but I don't think his legacy is sustainable in the way that Elvis's is, for reasons which I've already raised on other MJ-related threads here.

One of the main reasons is that there's just a lot less product to peddle in terms of recorded material. Elvis's catalogue of music and film is vast compared to Jackson's and any rumors you've heard about vaults full of Thriller-standard Jacko music have to be absolute nonsense. Sure, there will probably be some decent unfinished tracks which are no-doubt being hastily shopped around marketable collaborators for remixing as I write, but if they were in such great supply and presentable form, then rest assured you would have heard them already- Sony do actually want to make back some of the fortune they spent on the guy in recent years and they haven't been waiting for him to die to do it, all cynicism aside.

Also, Elvis's ability to crossover markets is greater than Jackson's. As an interpretive singer, Elvis took pride in his adaptability of style and breadth of range as he tackled material from a huge variety of sources throughout his career. By contrast the adult Jackson was a relative one-trick-pony, albeit an instantly-recognizable and brilliant trick, depending upon how much you appreciate breathy squeaks and ubiquitous "hee-heeee"s. This might not seem that important, but when you consider the manner in which expired vocalists' performances are sold and consumed in recent years, often alongside a current artist in a completely different audio environment than the original recording, then Elvis' flexibility becomes an attractive asset. I'm not saying that posthumous collaborations aren't available to Michael, only that they're just as limited as his back-catalogue.

Speaking of which, most people who weren't massive fans, but still liked Michael enough to not be put off by the child-molestation allegations, bought his 2003 'Number Ones' package at the time, and the ones who didn't acquired the content shortly after discovering he was dead, so that's a massive potential market who've already shot-their-bolt as far as his sales of existing music is concerned for quite a while. Of course music can be 'sold' in different ways- we'll get around to that later.

As for the child-molestation itself, while he was never actually convicted of such a thing, and the majority 'on the fence' about his alleged guilt have adopted a selective amnesia for the purpose of his mourning, I suspect that this is a temporary atmosphere of clemency. Now that the funereal circus is over, there is already a kind of stunned apathy emerging which is likely to give way to the same old misgivings about his suspected guilt. Except worse, because people are beginning to feel guilty themselves for eulogizing him. That really doesn't bode well for long-term marketability. You only have to talk to the man in the street.
    This unfortunate association originally kept product endorsements at bay and Jackson almost completely off the radio for years, so in the obvious absence of any forthcoming live appearances, and most domestic music consumers already in possession of any tracks which they were ever likely to buy, the salability of his music is greatly compromised, despite any residual acceptance while he isn't presenting any immediate threat to children(!)

Remember, from a 'profile' perspective, Michael's alleged child-abuse has been more relevant than his music since 1993. That's almost the duration of the entire second half of his solo career.

If Graceland relied exclusively upon hardcore Elvis fans to make up it's attendance figures it probably would have closed years ago. It remains one of the most successful tourist attractions of all time because there's something about Elvis which appeals even to those who aren't yet fully initiated. At the very least, even non-fans can say they've visited the famous home of the world's original pioneer of popular music. Compare this to the Jacko connotations which almost prohibit his music from a significant proportion of the people who actually like it. Who wants to say they visited 'the infamous suspected crime-scene of the world's highest-profile alleged pedophile'? I really don't see Neverland replicating Graceland's enduring success, since even a faction of his most stalwart fans consider it his nemesis.

Plans for releasing footage of the This Is It rehearsals have a limited shelf-life of profitability, since the sequences were not intended for public consumption and therefore deliberately 'underperformed' to conserve what remained of Jackson's energy for the actual shows. After the initial morbid curiosity has been satisfied, there is unlikely to be a lucrative long-term appeal to the content. We're not talking about the Comeback Special or Aloha here. It's going to be hard enough to package it, never mind re-package it!

For what it's worth, I thought Michael Jackson was an amazing artist and I always had serious doubts about his guilt, but the question here is about his posthumous earning potential, and this is what we have to work with. Especially while he doesn't own the exclusive rights on sales of sequined gloves and fedora hats.
    So, was that a "no" then teddy?

Quote Originally Posted by May View Post
    So, was that a "no" then teddy?
    Something like that
    Hey, I was bedridden for days and this was the first thread I saw.
    'Taking Care of Beaulieu'.

GIORGIA

GIORGIA

Quote Originally Posted by kathy parkinson View Post
    For me personally, it's not about financial gain. I couldn't care less how much money either of them earns in the future, it's the music what counts and the person who's singing the songs and Elvis wins hands down on both accounts, no contest.

I totally agree with you,Kathy!

I dont think

Cracking post Teddy, very well put

Deb
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Well put, Teddy, and NO, MJ will not surpass Elvis after this first year. Any more than Kurt Cobain [who?] or John Lennon.
    Now then, will everyone be making fun of MJ's sequined socks, glove and outer thong as they do the Elvis jumpsuit?

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

Cadillac King

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    I dont think MJ will maintain the top spot on a regular basis.After the initial surge he will fade.I dont think he's as merchandise "friendly" as Elvis is.Who wants MJ salt and pepper shakers on the table when youre trying to eat?

You do have a point there!

I can't say I've thought about it in that way!!!

TCB Mafia

Very true.
    And I will never understand the whole Kurt Cobain beating Elvis issue. I mean, who was he?
    (A rhetorical question!!!)
    Kurt Cobain's widow Courtney Love sold part of his sold catalog for 50 million that resulted in him beating Elvis for one year back in 2005.

A rhetorical question, Brian.

Well that depends, things cost more these days.

TCB Mafia

A rhetorical question, Brian.
    oh, I thought you meant the part of your post that was rhetorical was asking who Kurt Cobain was.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    oh, I thought you meant the part of your post that was rhetorical was asking who Kurt Cobain was.
    Just curious, Brian, what # did K C fall to in 2006? Do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    I dont think MJ will maintain the top spot on a regular basis.After the initial surge he will fade.I dont think he's as merchandise "friendly" as Elvis is.Who wants MJ salt and pepper shakers on the table when youre trying to eat?
    That might be the perfect marketing tool-Pepper for the early years and salt for the later "remade MJ"......

I think Joe Jackson is money hungry and I can see him squeezing every last dollar out of any situation which will make money.
    Its my understanding that MJ had hundreds of unreleased songs in the can-which could be the difference in who makes the most each year.
    But we will see how loyal and long lasting the fans of MJ are in the next 10 years.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisarose View Post
    Now then, will everyone be making fun of MJ's sequined socks, glove and outer thong as they do the Elvis jumpsuit?
    Oh yeah

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    That might be the perfect marketing tool-Pepper for the early years and salt for the later "remade MJ"......
    Oh my! Let me. . .catch. . .my breath!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast