Thread: Elvis In Concert (cbs Special Se)

With all discussion going on about 1977 and the cbs special, i made a alt. cover for possible special edition for this special. I didn't put a tracklisting on it because i like to know what you think that the possible tracklist should be!? I really hope that you like this one, put a lot of hours into it...so here it is:

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    As the reporter at the NYC press conference said when the Col. called it quits, "Beautiful, baby!"

Definitely an idea whose time has come.

The tracklisting would depend on the target audience, I suppose. Take, for example, Fairytale. As someone who loves that song, I would love to see and hear it in crystal-clear picture and sound. But I don't think that performance from Omaha would be a great choice for a re-vamped special whose intent would be to portray Elvis in the best light possible and change some minds, you know.

OK, I'll just go on the assumption that that's the goal here.

Songs from Rapid City except where indicated by a *:

See See Rider (original edit would be fine)
    If You Love Me (Let Me Know)
    You Gave Me A Mountain
    That's All Right
    Are You Lonesome Tonight (preceded by "And I am, and I was" comments*)
    Jailhouse Rock (splice 3 lines starting with "Spider Murphy" from Omaha)
    And I Love You So*
    Trying To Get To You
    How Great Thou Art*
    It's Now Or Never (No Sole Mio )
    Fairytale* (Forget what I said before--I've got to have it! )
    Love Me
    Hound Dog
    I Really Don't Want To Know* (need to double-check this, but for some reason I'm thinking I might like Omaha's performance better on this one)
    Ronnie Tutt drum solo
    Johnny B. Goode
    Early Morning Rain
    Little Sister*
    My Way
    Hurt
    Unchained Melody
    Can't Help Falling In Love (splice of both performances--I believe I like the Omaha ending notes better, and of course the "'Til we meet you again..." would have to be included)

Bonus footage could include the RC backstage footage and fan comments, as well as all the Indianapolis airport footage and hell, anything else they shot!

I got a little creative with the song sequence there--perhaps too creative, I don't know. But I thought, hey, it's not a single performance anyway, so shuffling things up a bit could be nice.

BTW has there been much focus on 1977 on this board lately? I hadn't noticed.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Very fine special you created here! And one tracklist that i had in mind when i created this cover. The extra bonus songs, like on the original album would be recorded on tour and would be:

Moody Blue (live, charlotte, febr. 21th, 1977)
    Lawdy miss clawdy (live, abilene, march 30, 1977)
    Heartbreak hotel (live, saginaw, april 25,1977)
    Polk salad annie (live, milwaukee, april 27, 1977)
    Big boss man (live, duluth, april 29, 1977)
    Mystery train/tiger man (live saginaw, may 3 1977 )

with this special you've got the best Elvis in 1977, in if they did this way, the estate would release it on dvd, i think and hope...maybe somebody could create this special from all the releases out there and likes to play around with a good moviemaker programm, give it a try, i would say.

i canged the back cover, with the above tracklist from lonniebealestreet.
    Here it is:

the red color of tracklist looks a little blurry but on the big file it's very clear!

TCB Mafia
    Very Nice Patrick

Though i do prefer the first backcover - then i suppose you would struggle to get all the tracks on it....shame though.

I like the front - i would have used black close to elvis...it would blend better i think. But thats just me i guess

Super job though mate
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

YOU MEAN SOMETHING LIKE THIS?:

TCB Mafia
    Thats it mate....but a little wider. Just so that it covers elvis' head.

See if that blends better

Then up the contrast on elvis himself.
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Patrick-

Looks great! I'm kind of amazed that you used my tracklisting, as I thought it might have been a little out there. As I was coming up with it, it sort of became basically what I would like to see and not necessarily what would be deemed most ideal for a re-release of the special. But maybe it's not too far off...glad you liked it anyway!

That's a great idea about adding some bonus songs, even though there's no accompanying video. That did not cross my mind. I would have to add Where No One Stands Alone and Reconsider Baby to that list, and perhaps a few others. A photo montage could perhaps be viewed while listening to those songs, using some of the great '77 photos seen on this site. We can dream, right? Even though it's an audience recording (and since this is now basically a fantasy project anyway), I would also maybe push for a few tracks from Indianapolis. It's a great show whose inclusion couldn't be any more appropriate for a project like this, and the sound really is great--and in stereo.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

I LISTENED TO SOME '77 CD'S this afternoon and yes reconsider baby and where no one stands alone should be on it, but it's only a preview cover, so lotta things can be changed, maybe more people will post at this thread, the more people, the more ideas....

For the tracks that didn't have available footage a little effort and some video editing could produce some very nice accompanying short form promo videos.

There is a wealth of 8mm film from 1977 and a lot of it in pretty good quality, add that to some still photos from the period and you've got the ingredients right there.

Some may be surprised to know that the outstanding performance of Where No One Stands Alone actually can be found on 8mm film. It may not be the closest footage you'll find but what an awesome video it could be included in.

Nice concept , but I have to say as well as a Special Edition (which I would welcome) I am one of those that would also hope that someday we get the unedited shows in DVD quality.

Elvis is Elvis, be it in 1957, 1967 or 1977. It is satisfying that a lot of us on the board feel that way and can find many good performances to enjoy from 1977 and appreciate them for what they were and not criticise them for what they were not.

'What, honey ? ..... one scarf for the balcony ?! ........... OK ........... gimme a baseball ! ............ there's no way unless you put a rock in it'.

(Las Vegas - 7th December 1975)

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    I KNEW I LOVED THIS MESSAGEBOARD!!!

FANTASTIC COVER DESIGN PATRICK!!! Very unique looking and very eye catching!!

EXCELLENT TRACK LISTING BOBBY!!! (As long as you got all my favorites in there, it's EXCELLENT!&#33

What a great (albeit fantasy) project!! We could only wish this would show up on store shelves all around the world!!

GREAT JOB GUYS!!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Thank you Mike!! this topic is not closed yet, and the tracklist will change a bit when more people post on this topic. And when the final content is there i will change it on the cover. And as the original special there will be a audio-cd and a dvd cover for it! If only 1 person could make this special with all the footage that's out there...then we have something unique here...
    But thanks again for the kind words my friend!
    And yes this board is the greatest!!!

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    YOU ARE SO WELCOME PATRICK!!!

Just giving credit where credit is due, and in the case of your current project here, it CERTAINLY is due!!!

Can't wait to see how this turns out when it's all finished, but any project involving 1977 gets my vote!!

Keep up the OUTSTANDING work!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!