Thread: Which Concert did Elvis UNPLUG David Brigg's keyboard?

Which Concert did Elvis UNPLUG David Brigg's keyboard?

I've heard about the 1977 incident where Elvis unplugged David Brigg's keyboard ...does anyone know at which show this occurred?
    are there any photos?

Below is a transcript of some info I found while researching this subject..it appears that it happened on 2/21/1977...is this correct

1977- Elvis performs at The Colisium in Charlotte, North Carolina. At this
    show, Elvis performs his only known complete live version of "Moody Blue".

This is David Briggs last tour with Elvis. He came out on it at Elvis's
    insistance not knowing whether Elvis knows about his relationship with Linda
    Thompson. He finds out though when Elvis pulls the plug on his Electronic
    Keyboard.

This is the last date on the tour, and after the show Elvis returns to
    Memphis.

TCB
    Wade

Thought you were there?

Sonny

Southeastern Portion of These Here United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny
    Thought you were there?

Sonny
    He was there; he was at the concession stand filling up Elvis' cup when this happened.
    "Don't tamper with the property of the U.S. Male"

kennyelvis
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Boss Man
    He was there; he was at the concession stand filling up Elvis' cup when this happened.
    GREAT, REALLY GREAT,

you guys are a RIOT...

Thought you were there?

Sonny
    You guys are a riot..I posted something for you two at the bottom of the page !

I certainly did not see Elvis unplug anyone's keyboard..in fact..David Briggs played on "Love Letters"..so I was surprised when I read this..

Does anyone know???.. I checked "Elvis in Concert.com"
    and found that Briggs was on the Feb tour..but not the March tour??
    the only thing I can figure is that if it did occur on 2/21/77..Elvis might have done it after Love Letters..and before "Can't Help Falling in Love"..

12th - 21st February 1977
    Lead Guitar: James Burton
    Rythymn Guitar: John Wilkinson
    Bass Guitar: Jerry Scheff
    Drums: Ronnie Tutt
    Piano: Tony Brown

Electric Piano: David Briggs

Harmony V ocals: Charlie Hodge

Backing V ocals: Sweet Inspirations
    J.D.Sumner and the Stamps
    Kathy Westmoreland
    Other vocals: Sherril Nielsen
    Orchestra Conductor: Joe Guercio
    Orchestra Conductor: Joe Guercio Orchestra

23rd March - 3rd April 1977
    Lead Guitar: James Burton
    Rythymn Guitar: John Wilkinson
    Bass Guitar: Jerry Scheff
    Drums: Ronnie Tutt
    Piano: Tony Brown

Electric Piano: Bobby Ogden

Harmony V ocals: Charlie Hodge

Backing V ocals: Sweet Inspirations
    J.D.Sumner and the Stamps
    Kathy Westmoreland
    Other vocals : Sherril Nielsen
    Orchestra Conductor: Joe Guercio
    Orchestra Conductor: Joe Guercio Orchestra
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jam319.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by howardrobardhughes
    I've heard about the 1977 incident where Elvis unplugged David Brigg's keyboard ...does anyone know at which show this occurred?
    are there any photos?

Below is a transcript of some info I found while researching this subject..it appears that it happened on 2/21/1977...is this correct

1977- Elvis performs at The Colisium in Charlotte, North Carolina. At this
    show, Elvis performs his only known complete live version of "Moody Blue".

This is David Briggs last tour with Elvis. He came out on it at Elvis's
    insistance not knowing whether Elvis knows about his relationship with Linda
    Thompson. He finds out though when Elvis pulls the plug on his Electronic
    Keyboard.

This is the last date on the tour, and after the show Elvis returns to
    Memphis.

TCB
    Wade

Uhh Im glad he pull the plug man! I wish it had been taped by someone I have one question......was Linda cheating on Elvis too?If this happend on 2/21/77 wasn't Elvis and Ginger togueter?Help on this.Im loosing my memory First Precilla and the Karate instructor,then Linda?Why? Oh and has anyone heard or read anything on the whereabouts of Ginger?What happend to her?Does anyone knows?

some strange and new info to my ears! I'm dazzled!!

Thumbs up

EP should have unpluged the dam thing on the first show they did together

KEV.
    HELLO,I MUST BE GOING.

SAM...it"s been a privilege to be called your best mate.17.03.55 - 24.01.08

http://www.gould68.freeserve.co.uk/HankGarlandBio.html

Quote Originally Posted by veronik
    was Linda cheating on Elvis too?If this happend on 2/21/77 wasn't Elvis and Ginger togueter?Help on this.Im loosing my memory First Precilla and the Karate instructor,then Linda?Why? Oh and has anyone heard or read anything on the whereabouts of Ginger?What happend to her?Does anyone knows?
    Maybe his numerous infidelities didn't exactly promote loyalty eh? It makes me cringe a little to hear him say "Sheila, let me sing to you baby" on the outtake of And I Love You So. The Sheila being Sheila Ryan of course, who he was seeing at the same time as Linda.

Ginger is now married. When you think about it, it's testament to her loyalty to Elvis that you are asking that question. A lesser person could have made a lot of money as Elvis' last girlfriend and the one who found him on the afternoon of his death.

we can't blame her for finding the right guy

which concert did elvis unplug david brigs keyboard

that,s the first time i heard of that happening. i wiil look this up though.

Southeastern Portion of These Here United States
    Quote Originally Posted by iamhekev
    EP should have unpluged the dam thing on the first show they did together

KEV.

No Kev, he should treated that piano as if Robert Goulette was sitting at the keyboard singing and blasted the heck out of it with his pistol!!!!!!!!!!
    "Don't tamper with the property of the U.S. Male"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by T_J
    Maybe his numerous infidelities didn't exactly promote loyalty eh? It makes me cringe a little to hear him say "Sheila, let me sing to you baby" on the outtake of And I Love You So. The Sheila being Sheila Ryan of course, who he was seeing at the same time as Linda.

Ginger is now married. When you think about it, it's testament to her loyalty to Elvis that you are asking that question. A lesser person could have made a lot of money as Elvis' last girlfriend and the one who found him on the afternoon of his death.
    Thank you for answering my question on Ginger.And yes you're right.I admire her for not cashing in on Elvis.I am glad to hear that she's married.I had no idea that Elvis was dating both girls at the time.Sometimes it gets a bit confussing.I just don't know who to believe anymore.I guess only E,Ginger and those close to him are the only ones who really know what went on.I have read so much on Elvis that I don't know anymore.You hear and read so many things that makes you wonder.I know that he was no Saint.He was a man.A human being,but when I read about certain things just like the one you just said that he was dating both at the same time is disapointing.I just rather love Elvis the singer and not think much about the stuff some of his so call"Friends"say about him.That is why I stopped reading the books that are being published about Elvis.I mean.....how much of the stuff they write is true? I rather listen to his music and buy whatever I can.I just don't believe what they write about him anymore ,So my apologies to linda.I don't want to just write stuff that I don't know nothing about.Like those writers in those books on Elvis.I read somewhere that Precilla was dating her Karate instructor and now I read this on Linda and the piano player...ufff!!Too much man. ...thank you very much ......

TLC,

Veronik

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    I think it would have been tough for anyone to love Elvis given that he was a very unusual person, lifestyle etc. I think although Elvis had many girlfriends in the 70's, this was more for companionship rather than sexual desire.

Lonely star at the top! with people only wanting to know him because of who he was, the cicle of friends and musicians is probably smaller than we know and this is how Linda met up with Briggs?

Cadillac King
    I doubt the only time Elvis had only one girlfriend at a time was when he was about 15......he surely did get around, but to be fair to him, I think a lot of the girls were just there for company. I mean if the man selpt with as many girls as some (will I call them authors?????) have suggested, when did he have time to be on stage.? Good luck to him........as far as pulling the plug on David Briggs, Peter Guralnick has it documented in Careless Love. In my opinion, if anyone is going to read any of the Elvis biographies, these two, Last Train To Memphis and Careless Love are about as accurate as we will get. There are some things that just don't gel in them, but Guralnick is relying heavily on peoples memories. I can also do without the little into involving Sheila Ryan, but by the same token, she along with Linda saved Elvis' life a number of times, but I think she was way too young. Elvis needed to have his army of MMM to keep all these women apart, 'Taking Care Of Business' as they say....
    Carolyn
    "Walk A Block In My Socks"

still no answer???

does anyone know what concert this occured?

TCB
    Wade

It's not true...

He never unplugged Briggs' keyboard!

Sonny

is David Briggs lying??

It's not true...

He never unplugged Briggs' keyboard!

Sonny
    Is David Briggs Lying????????

This is what I know about the "unplugging" story: it happened at the start of the show, and Elvis had just entered the stage. He went straight to Briggs?s keyboard and pulled out all the cords. Of course, Briggs (or a sound technician) probably plugged it in again, so he could play the keyboard. This happened at the start of the tour (possibly Feb. 12), and since Briggs had been hired for the tour he stayed, but was not asked to come back for the next one. I?ve read this in "Careless Love" and also somewhere else, probably an interview with David Briggs in some magazine (sorry I can?t be more specific right now!).

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Interesting. I only read Careless Love once and don't recall that.

Welcome, H.A.T.! Nice to see you over here. Feel free to fire one up--this is not a smoke-free environment.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.