Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: Clambake, Reappraised.

  1. #21
    International Level
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hamilton, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    540

    Re: Clambake, Reappraised.

    I like most of Elvis' movies. They are, in my opinion, good for what they were supposed
    to be - entertainment. Maybe it is just me; but, I like to watch a movie that I can watch
    in mixed company including kids that I know will not surprise me with X-rated scenes
    or language. It is good to have movies that are just "fun" . I don't choose many movies
    for their social messages, grit and gore. I get enough of that on my evening news!
    I am glad Elvis made the movies that he did; but, I do wish he had been allowed to make
    the kind of movies that he wanted to make, ones that he would have been more proud
    to have made, too. I really think Elvis was a great actor and that he could have handled
    almost any type of role. But, I am still happy that he made the movies he made including
    Clambake.
    "talk about the good times"

  2. #22
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: Clambake, Reappraised.

    I have always hated the film-but like some of the songs. Elvis just looks like-What the he77 am I doing here?
    He is clearly overweight-his hair is about a foot high and hardly has any bounce of natural look, the color is garish and the sets seem cheap.
    I really think this movie may have been the one to finally kill any hope in Elvis of making quality films and expanding-it may have just killed the idea.
    When he ends the song Clambake and raises his arms his gut shows and its just not flattering. He had to have seen the movie and thought the same.
    Work in Progress!

  3. #23
    Backstage Pass TCB4ELVIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    245

    Re: Clambake, Reappraised.

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I have always hated the film-but like some of the songs. Elvis just looks like-What the he77 am I doing here?
    He is clearly overweight-his hair is about a foot high and hardly has any bounce of natural look, the color is garish and the sets seem cheap.
    I really think this movie may have been the one to finally kill any hope in Elvis of making quality films and expanding-it may have just killed the idea.
    When he ends the song Clambake and raises his arms his gut shows and its just not flattering. He had to have seen the movie and thought the same.
    I don't even think at this point he would watch his own movies. That's how disgusted and embarrassed he was with them. I can't find the audio clip of him talking in 1972(elvis on tour) saying regarding his movies, "I hated it, hated it and would get physically ill".

  4. #24
    TCB Mafia LianaKaralivanou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thessaloniki, Greece
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: Clambake, Reappraised.

    Call me a fool or whatever but Clambake it is one of my favorite Elvis' movies. Yes, don't laugh guys and gals, it is indeed! It had colors, fun, Shelley Fabares, the great song "You don't know me" and I disagree with Teddy when he said that Elvis was not at his best shape. I thought he was very good looking. Sometimes all you need is to see Elvis and relax, laugh and don't think too much about the acting part. He was not made to win the oscar, anyway!..
    Goodbye Rosanne...Your "family" in TCB will always remember you.

  5. #25
    TCB Mafia john carpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    1,867

    Re: Clambake, Reappraised.

    The movie wasn't the worst "Elvis Film" i've seen. On the other hand here is the reason Elvis did those (IMO) terrible films.Elvis Presley had so much debt in early 1967 due to his purchase of a Memphis ranch with up-to-date equipment that his manager, 'Colonel Tom Parker', had to sign the contract for this movie in a hurry so that Elvis could get his one million dollar fee. It was the last time Elvis would get the magic million dollars.
    I'm the King of the Jungle, They call me Tigerman

    ]

  6. #26
    TCB Mafia EnigmaticSun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Beucha
    Posts
    1,754

    wonderful

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerstar View Post
    I like most of Elvis' movies. They are, in my opinion, good for what they were supposed
    to be - entertainment. Maybe it is just me; but, I like to watch a movie that I can watch
    in mixed company including kids that I know will not surprise me with X-rated scenes
    or language. It is good to have movies that are just "fun" . I don't choose many movies
    for their social messages, grit and gore. I get enough of that on my evening news!
    I am glad Elvis made the movies that he did; but, I do wish he had been allowed to make
    the kind of movies that he wanted to make, ones that he would have been more proud
    to have made, too. I really think Elvis was a great actor and that he could have handled
    almost any type of role. But, I am still happy that he made the movies he made including
    Clambake.
    That's a wonderful post and it makes many of us feel better. It's fair to say such a movie is a better choice than watching violence or hearing harsh language.

    I don't as much like this idea of lust is love (such Elvis-movies often portray) - neither do I appreciate the female flesh at such proximity. It's not something kids would have to grow up with, nor do the movies provide a realistic view on what life is (some guy is nobody, comes somewhere, revamps the scene, does a song, becomes somebody, sells millions, gets the girl, fights with another girl fighting over him, eventually finds the first girl again and goes on to live the American dream happily ever after).

    It's hard finding a movie by Elvis without fighting scenes and many characters are rude, but modern talkshows make such movies look innocent. There are beautiful sets, landscapes, decent jokes and some unexpected or versatile artistic themes (though not every song is a classic).
    Last edited by EnigmaticSun; 07-08-2009 at 08:35 AM. Reason: changing the words or something
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

    all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

  7. #27
    TCB Mafia Teddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Your Heart
    Posts
    3,531

    Re: Clambake, Reappraised.

    Thanks to everyone for the responses so far and especially the ones which explain why they feel the way they do about the movie.
    It's something which interests me, since it's clear that Clambake isn't especially high on the quality scale in the great scheme of Elvis movies, but for some reason I always enjoy it
    'Taking Care of Beaulieu'.

  8. #28
    TCB Mafia Teddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Your Heart
    Posts
    3,531

    Re: Clambake, Reappraised.

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    When he ends the song Clambake and raises his arms his gut shows and its just not flattering. He had to have seen the movie and thought the same.
    I've never really thought about his gut showing at that moment- I'm always so distracted by how mortified he looks. He's smiling and feigning celebration but the embarrassment in his eyes almost penetrates your soul and you feel his shame

    Actually, having you mention this shot has really lit a bulb in my mind...
    I think I'm beginning to realize why I like this movie as much as I do.
    At moments like that where he cannot conceal his feelings, we really see Elvis.

    Correct me if I'm wrong but other than the '68 Special, Elvis never made any non-performance TV appearances in the 60s, and even in the Special the 'reality' is scripted and rehearsed. We only ever see him acting.

    It might be uncomfortable to watch at times, but when we see Elvis having a bad time in Clambake we see the human being behind the acting.
    This is compelling from a man who only ever showed us what he wanted us to see.
    'Taking Care of Beaulieu'.

  9. #29
    TCB Mafia debtdbruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ilkley, Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,247

    Re: Clambake, Reappraised.

    Very profound thoughts there Teddy, good points!!

    Deb
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

  10. #30
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: Clambake, Reappraised.

    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    I've never really thought about his gut showing at that moment- I'm always so distracted by how mortified he looks. He's smiling and feigning celebration but the embarrassment in his eyes almost penetrates your soul and you feel his shame

    Actually, having you mention this shot has really lit a bulb in my mind...
    I think I'm beginning to realize why I like this movie as much as I do.
    At moments like that where he cannot conceal his feelings, we really see Elvis.

    Correct me if I'm wrong but other than the '68 Special, Elvis never made any non-performance TV appearances in the 60s, and even in the Special the 'reality' is scripted and rehearsed. We only ever see him acting.

    It might be uncomfortable to watch at times, but when we see Elvis having a bad time in Clambake we see the human being behind the acting.
    This is compelling from a man who only ever showed us what he wanted us to see.
    You have a point-Elvis just looks uncomfortable/embarrassed through the movie. I hate to see anyone feel uncomfortable and self conscious so although it is interesting Its just for me hard to watch. But I see what you are getting at.
    In the 68 special-I believe Binder got the idea of the stories told-from listening to Elvis, Scotty ,DJ ...etc tell the stories "spontaneously" in the dressing room rehearsals-and he made note of ones he thought would be interesting to add to the sitdown segments-so they were more "prompted"
    by script than actually word for word line by line written (at least from what I understand from reading)
    Work in Progress!

  11. #31
    International Level jean francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    canada quebec
    Posts
    976

    Re: Clambake, Reappraised.

    hello about clambake, I find the film like no other, especially
    the image is not so beautiful, but a good film, do so when we know for elvis loves everything.

  12. #32
    TCB Mafia debtdbruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ilkley, Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,247

    Re: Clambake, Reappraised.

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    You have a point-Elvis just looks uncomfortable/embarrassed through the movie. I hate to see anyone feel uncomfortable and self conscious so although it is interesting Its just for me hard to watch. But I see what you are getting at.
    In the 68 special-I believe Binder got the idea of the stories told-from listening to Elvis, Scotty ,DJ ...etc tell the stories "spontaneously" in the dressing room rehearsals-and he made note of ones he thought would be interesting to add to the sitdown segments-so they were more "prompted"
    by script than actually word for word line by line written (at least from what I understand from reading)

    The notes were to give him pointers weren't they, with him being nervous?
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

  13. #33
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: Clambake, Reappraised.

    Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    The notes were to give him pointers weren't they, with him being nervous?
    Well they had agreed on certain stories that had been told in the dressing room and these were used to lead into songs or other segments of the special. Like explaining what rock n roll music was-or how he could only move his little finger in Florida etc.....
    Work in Progress!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •