Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike or gun?

Bike or gun?

When we visited the hardwarestore in Tupelo this year we were told by the grandson of the man who sold the guitar to Gladys that she wanted to buy a bike for Elvis, but that he didn't want one but rather had a gun, of course he couldnt get it, so he settled for a guitar. But I'v been reading in a book that he wanted a bike but Gladys didnt want that so she bought a guitar. Which story is true?

i go with a bike Annie,..some books said the same thing about elvis wanted a bike but then his ma' bought him a guitar instead on his birthday...i heard that gladys worried if elvis might hurt if she bought him a bike...
    Last edited by buttonhead; 10-29-2004 at 01:02 PM.

I also know of both stories, but like buttonhead I go for the bike story.

On the other hand: in his later years Elvis turned out to be a real gun lover, didn't he?

Sonny

Source: Tupelo Hardware

"A Letter Written October 2, 1979
    on Tupelo Hardware Company letterhead

GOOD MORNING -

My name is Forrest L. Bobo from Tupelo, Mississippi. I an 78 years young today, but I can well remember the afternoon when Elvis Presley and his mother came into Tupelo Hardware, where I worked for twenty years. He wanted a 22 cal. rifle and his mother wanted him to buy a guitar. I showed him the rifle first and then I got the guitar for him to look at. I put a wood box behind the showcase and let him play with the guitar for some time. Then he said that he did not have that much money, which was only $7.75 plus 2% sales tax. His mother told him that if he would buy the guitar instead of the rifle, she would pay the difference for him. The papers have said that the guitar cost $12.50 but at that time you could have bought a real nice one that amount. The small amount of money that he had to spend had been earned by running errands and doing small jobs for people.
    I am proud to have a little part in Elvis' life. I had supper with Elvis the night he left for his first audition. We all wished him a great success, and he sure made a great life for himself and the rest of the world.
    Thank you for your time.

Forrest L. Bobo"

------------------------------

END EXCERPT.

Emphasis, added, by me.

Unless the only surviving (at the time written) primary source is mistaken (which I don't believe), ........... the bike version of this well-known story is MYTH. Since "myth" sometimes has elements of "truth" within, ........ it is also possible that Gladys also tried to talk EP into a bike as well. EP, however, initially had his own heart set on a small caliber rifle.

- Capt. "EL."

Well, that does seem to clear up things, doesn't it?

Thanks Cap...

Sonny

yep..that explained everything ...thanks Capt.

Thanks, Dessy, Rene and Capt'n for your reaction. I also had read the bike story several times, but when we spoke to the guy in the hardware store I wasn't that sure anymore. I wish I had bought a copy of the letter when I was there. Thanks for clearing it up capt'n

Sometimes, sorting thru MYTH becomes a given necessity ........... with the passage of time and everybody merely accepting well-known versions of common stories - no questions asked. It happens a lot more than most - if not all - people realize.

PS Annie is on the right track towards critical thinking in starting this thread. Never lose that quality / ability.

--------------------------

Incidently, ........... some claim that that "first" guitar .................. was passed on to Red West, by Elvis, in the 50's ......................... with Red later gifting to a friend. Long story, short, ........ no way to be certain, ............ because nobody is around today who can ID the guitar as the exact same one EP bought in Tupelo as a child. It's an early EP-Owned guitar, to be certain, ................. but it cannot be definitively ID'ed as THE first. That said, ............. it is also possible that it is indeed.

- Capt. "EL."

They should train the people in this hardware store better (even the relatives!), because if they walk outside and take a look at the memorial plaque sitting in front of the shop, they should at least be able to get their stories straight (h)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0203.jpg  
    'Only thing worse than watching a bad movie is being in one' - Elvis Presley

International Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie1971
    They should train the people in this hardware store better (even the relatives!), because if they walk outside and take a look at the memorial plaque sitting in front of the shop, they should at least be able to get their stories straight (h)
    LOL, written in stone!

Thanks for sharing, Paulie

You're welcome Cherokee Couldn't resist this one!

so elvis had been a gun - fan ever since he was a child.. thats news for me...thanks for more info paulie .. it is neat that they wrote it on a stone... remind me to those from one of indonesian prehistoric monarchy..
    Last edited by buttonhead; 11-01-2004 at 11:34 AM.

Hi Paulie, actually it is the same story as they told inside the store, like mentioned in my first posting:

When we visited the hardwarestore in Tupelo this year we were told by the grandson of the man who sold the guitar to Gladys that she wanted to buy a bike for Elvis, but that he didn't want one but rather had a gun, of course he couldnt get it, so he settled for a guitar.

Paulie / Cherokee -

Such is MYTH - 101. Let me elaborate (and repeat for those that missed it the first time):

As already stated above, ................ "myths" usually have elements of twisted TRUTH within.

People simply take the "version" that they "want" to believe .............. use it ............. re-tell it ............... publish it .............. repeat it .............. & in this case, even place it in bronze ..... until it has morphed into FACT. Doesn't make it so.

Let me ask you both a question, .....................

Did Bobo have anything to do with the plaque .............. or did it come along ............ much, much later? If anything, this is proof that those making the plaque were "*****s" .................. and / or simply telling the more palatable version (Myth always serves a purpose).

There is an old adage: "When in doubt, ............ print the MYTH , .......... because that is what the people want to believe / hear."

MYTH is also a double-edged sword that cuts both ways .................. Elvis is both the benificiary and victim of both POSITIVE & NEGATIVE myth consequences ..................... it come with the territory that is LEGEND.

-----------------------------------

You will find many examples such as this ............. in The Elvis World.

One last point: As already evidenced in this very thread, ............... people do not easily / readily let go of well-established "myth" ..................

OK, ................ Paulie & Cherokee, ................... today's lesson is now over. Dismissed.

- Capt. "EL."

I see I seriously need to brush up on my knowledge and understanding of the English language

Sorry for the misunderstanding people! In any case I hope you enjoyed the pic of the plaque

Hi Paulie, dont worry, I know what you mean, sometimes I misunderstand things to or I can't write down exactly what I mean, so no problems

Great picture by the way

Isn?t that a bike? Or am I blind?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bike4.jpg  

International Level
    Oh I understood perfectly well. And my remark had nothing to do with my opinion about the validity of any statement regarding this issue.

Cap. just isn't used to my sense of humor yet
    Last edited by Cherokee; 11-04-2004 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pahvi
    Isn?t that a bike? Or am I blind?
    There are also a number of pictures of a very young Elvis sporting a pistol in various poses and under various circumstances ................... from childhood all the way thru to his early days of super-stardom in the 1950's. EP, incidently, also got into a bit of trouble when he used a prop rubber gun from his early movie studio days, in jest, in response to a military man who was threatening him at the time.

EP's fascination with guns / authority, despite is ironically REBELLIOUS image, was a life-long one.

- Capt. "EL."

bike or gun

everything i have read on this subject says that it was a bike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast