Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elvis duets album being considered

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar

Elvis duets album being considered

On a subject related to the remix thread, I just read in the Nov./Dec. issue of Essential Elvis, reported by Brian Quinn:

It is strongly rumoured that SONY/BMG Strategic Marketing are looking to emulate the worldwide success of Elvis - 30 #1 Hits. With the advance of new recording technology it is thought that a 'duets' album could be the project to achieve this. This would take the form of a tribute album featuring some of the world's top musicians / singers.

I know this is an unpopular idea with many people, but I am all for it and have said so in the past.

The thinking seems to be that this would somehow cheapen Elvis, and make it seem like he is dependent on other artists for current success. I don't see it that way, and believe that if done properly, with A-list performers (and a track with LMP--oops--does that imply she's not A-list?), and some serious promotion, it could be extremely successful.

Yeah, it's tampering with the music, but it seems like most fans came to accept the remix idea...once, anyway. I understand this is an entirely different concept though.

I am curious about the technological advancement comment. It makes me wonder if there is more to it than I am considering, because with the technology from about ten years ago, we got great duet albums from Frank Sinatra. I hope it doesn't mean Elvis' voice will be recreated to perform some of these other artists' hits with them, though that would be interesting to hear anyway. 'Tribute album' kind of threw me off too--as if to imply Elvis would not take part (you know what I mean), but they are calling this a duet concept.

By the way, I still think an release of an unadulterated Elvis song (perhaps undubbed, actually) could still have a shot in today's market. But I would love to see this happen...as long as it is type of duet like Nat and Natalie Cole's Unforgettable, for example, and not what I was just considering in the above paragraph.

OK, let the Lonniebashing begin.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Well, I won't begin with the "Lonniebashing" 'cause I would also like to see such a project to become reality.

I mean I love all Elvissongs how they are, but I'm also openminded to such things like remixes and duets. It's a pity that Elvis didn't record any duets during his lifetime. I'm sure a lot of artists would have sold their souls to the devil to record a song with Mr. Presley.

And there's no question that still nowadays many artists would like to be part of a duet album with Elvis Presley.

So let it get real

Don't want to start a trend, but I won't be the first to start the Lonniebashing either (any-one? ).

Personally I would welcome a project like this. The duetalbums proved to be tremendously succesful for Ol' Blue Eyes. If done professionally, with A-list partners for Elvis (I would suggest a mix of established artists and fresh, hip newcomers), and promoted properly ... it could be great! IMO at least

I would buy it!
    'Only thing worse than watching a bad movie is being in one' - Elvis Presley

Cadillac King
    Well there are a few genuine studio recorded duets that Elvis did in his lifetime - the Lady Loves me and Signs of the Zodiac, perhaps Swing Low Sweet Chariot from the movies and things like Amazing Grace. Then ofcourse the Linda Rondstadt LMT and the Lisa " Dont Cry Daddy" .

If BMG goes for this option I wish they would do completely different songs ...

jb

International Level
    I think a duett with the great Bonnie Raitt would be awesome. Now that's a multi talented lady! :worthy: :worthy:

Steve
    I don't need this duets album.

I think it's a bad idee, to mix elvis his great voice with other's.

but don't we all have other idee's about this?

I have to be honest and say if done right with the best performers that would suit our mans voice and style... i think it would be a great idea .
    The Nat Cole song was well done and sounded great...but this would have to be a serious project from bmg with care taken in sound production and the marketing... DONT SKIMP ON THIS BMG !
    I also think there are some really great great Country/Rhythm artists out there and image a well produced Loving Arms with the right artist... ...yes...bring it on BMG !

Hmmmm, now when does the Lonniebashing begin?

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    I hear ya, Paulie. I'm disappointed.

(h)
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Backstage Pass
    I am not totally against the idea , the Nat King Cole song did sound great indeed.

I wonder how Elvis and Shania Twain would sound like in a duet

I'm sorry to disappoint you guys/gals. I have to say I like the idea. Lately they are playing a lot of the Sinatra duets album on the radio, and I must say I liked it and thought it was a good idea for some Elivs music to. Like Bobby said, with some A-list singers it would be a great thing to do

Shame on me. I said that Elvis recorded no duets during his lifetime.
    I even forgot the ones with Ann Margret. How could I?
    But they were somehow turned down by the Colonel back then that even a great fan like me forgot them.
    Shame on the Colonel, too!

So if the rumours of a duet album are true:
    Please Sony/BMG, do it right and promote it the way it deserves.

I think it's a nice idea. It won't detract from the Elvis originals, but will be an interesting novelty. I just hope they choose appropriate performances with Elvis on best form. Oh and there should be a rule that all singers on the album have to record without the aid of modern technology to correct pitch, improve tone etc. Make it a fair playing field. Of course that could mean there is a short queue of singers signing up for it

elvis duets

i'm not a big fan of this concept, but conciderind that lisa marie's duet with elvis on don't cry dady was very nice,it could work. as long as they use the right artists to perform with him.that to me is the concern. who would they use.

Good Idea

I like the idea but my only concern is who they would choose to do the duets

Personally I would like to hear Madonna,John Bon Jovi,Sting and maybe the soulful voice of Joss Stone Duet with Elvis

Love the idea lets hope it comes to light

love and peace,
    Susan.
    Yesterday was the past and tomorrow is the future but today is the present ..thats why we call it the gift"

"Never listen to a liar it takes too long to find out the truth and my time is too precious"

"Without you I am only half of me"

I for one am disappointed, Bobby set himself up perfectly to be bashed, and no-one is doing so .. where are all the bashers ?

Coming On Strong
    I am ashamed to say that I have never heard the duet of Don't Cry Daddy with Lisa Marie. Where would I find it?

I'm not against the idea of a duets album. If they did it right, it could be very cool. I'd like to hear Norah Jones on it, too, as she seems to like some of the Elvis tunes.
    Before Elvis, there was nothing....

You can find it on the bootleg Elvis meets Presley. Let me know if you have trouble locating it

Smile

BASH BASH BASH BASH

Paul71 (who i don"t no or meet) there you go

I hate the idea

Merry xmas to you all

KEV.
    HELLO,I MUST BE GOING.

SAM...it"s been a privilege to be called your best mate.17.03.55 - 24.01.08

http://www.gould68.freeserve.co.uk/HankGarlandBio.html

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    I'm not married with decisions made by RCA, producers or even Elvis during Elvis' recording carreer. If a producer nowadays can do nice things with an Elvissong, I'd say: pleas do it.

If Elvis agreed with singing/releasing 'Old Mc Donals', 'Confidence' or other of the famous lowpoints in his carreer, what problem would it be if there are people today that really would try create something new or better?

The Guitar Man LP was a really nice effort in 1980. This album has received much critizism by Elvisfans. Things like 'If Elvis would have wanted a song to sound like this, he would have recorded it like that' were often said. But those same people are enjoying undubbed masters (or takes). Also not the way Elvis/RCA decided to release it.

So I'm in favor of making a duet album, a bigband album or a dance album. As long as it has that special Elvis feeling and when it's done with respect for his music (something Elvis didn't even always had).
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast