Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Fascination With '77 Elvis

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Originally posted by Albert@Apr 26 2004, 08:22 AM
    You're so true.

But you might change "But based on how EPE/Graceland treats Elvis in 1977, one could easily get the impression that he was simply horrible during the final 8 months of his life" into "the final 4 years".

It seems like EPE feel emberassed about the post-Aloha Elvis and want to everything about it to forget that period. They are nothing better than the gossipmagezines that talked trash about Elvis during the 70s.
    I AM SO GLAD SOMEONE ELSE NOTICES THAT!!!!

You are 100% right Albert, and I should have posted that in my response, but since we were talking about 1977 specifically, that is why I limited my response to the last 8 months of Elvis' life!

But you are dead-on accurate with your assessment, and I have said this to many other fans I have talked to....that as far as EPE is concerned (so it seems), Elvis' career was over after ALOHA!! In fact, we should be thankful that RCA has the final say in what is released (although EPE does have input, but since RCA owns the catalog, they have the final say in what is released on CD)...if EPE had their say, at least 1/2 of the FTD releases would have never seen the light of day!!!

Thanks for bringing that up Albert...I am glad you are in my corner on this one!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Originally posted by Albert@Apr 23 2004, 02:22 AM
    But studiorecordings of '76 makes me kinda sad. Almost every song is about depressing subjects. There are only a few nice uptempo songs (like Moody Blue). But also the stories about his private life during the last full year shows us just a little bit of happiness and much about being lonely and depressed.

I just was listening to my 76 cd's and was also amazed how every song from those recordings were very sad and depressing.

I agree almost prophetic how his mood seemed.

'I am so Hurt'

'She thinks I still Care'
    http://hometown.aol.com/skmccarty/images/tcblogo1.jpg
    It's never too late to take care of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet View Post
    Great question. (BTW you are a huge asset to any board you contribute to, LTB.)

I am just about to turn 30 myself, so my fascination with Elvis's final year does not have roots in any personal memories from that time. Had I been of age then, I can only imagine how much stronger the fascination would be for me...if that's possible.

It is hard to explain. I like what has been said before about Elvis seeming especially friendly or down to earth during that period. There is something to that, and I think that latter description goes beyond the mere fact that he did not look perfect as he once did. Some review from '77 said that the show had more of a feeling of an informal gathering of friends than of a hard-edged rock concert. I think that is true and not necessarily a dig on the quality of the performance or Elvis's dedication, but reflective of how Elvis's personality was projected into the show.

There's so much more to it than that though.

Part of it for me is unquestionably that 1977 was Elvis's final year. That is not to say, however, that if Elvis had died later that I would find the 1977 shows less appealing. I don't think that's true at all. As Unchained said, as a rule Elvis was in much better condition vocally in '77 than in '76. I think he for the most part looked better then too. But I derive a great deal of satisfaction out of hearing or watching a great performance from '77, partly because it affirms for me that the public at large is just way off in their general idea of Elvis towards the end.
    Why is that? Graceland/EPE/BMG's usual stance is to address as little of Elvis's final year as they can get away with, thinking that people will think so much less of Elvis, and that everything you hear about Elvis will be the fat jokes all over again, etc. However, not promoting Elvis in '77 has an even worse effect. The impression given is that all the rumors and all the bad things that have been said about the man during that period are in fact true, that things were so bad that they don't even want to talk about it. I've said this before, but Elvis in '77 is EPE's crazy uncle they keep tied up in the basement.

It is funny because they, the powers that be, have even themselves been influenced by that. When Spring Tours '77 was released (thank you, Ernst), I remember reading that "the producers were pleasantly surprised" by the quality of the material they had reviewed when assembling that album. Hello! :bash:

Although the setlist had become rather predictable by this time, I really like a lot of the material Elvis was singing in this period. And he did throw in some nice surprises here and there. Back to his voice...I think that it is true that in some ways his voice was not what it once was, but on the same taken I think he could also do other things with it that he could not do before, or not as well. So overall perhaps it was not better or worse, but just different. Granted there were some not so good shows, but when he was in top form vocally, those performances really knock my socks off. I still get chills every time I hear certain things. The really demanding songs were the ones in which he really shined.

I think that in his final performance, Elvis went out on such a nigh note. The Indianapolis show, like the entire year, would not amaze me any less it had turned out not to be his last. Release Me, I Can't Stop Loving You, and Bridge Over Troubled Water were all songs not in the usual repertoire at the time and were sung very well. Hurt never sounded better, and the crowd could not have been more amazed at the finale. He had that crowd in the palm of his hand, just like he had from the beginning. Fairytale was also fantastic and sounded to my ears a lot like the superb performance heard on ST77 (5/2 Chicago) but without the microphone problems at the end. If you've heard me say this before too, forgive me, but if that soundboard ever comes out, I would love for that release to be named You Won't Forget Me When I Go, which I think fits that show to a T.

I guess it is apparent from the things I have written that 1977 being Elvis's last year certainly does contribute to the fascination for me, but there is a lot more to the equation.

One reason I really love this board is that everyone here is very accepting and appreciative of everyone else's varying tastes and preferences. A lot of purists think Elvis did his best work at Sun, and then it was all downhill from there. That's fine if that's your opinion, but don't try to convince the rest of the people that their opinions are wrong and they shouldn't like what they like. I am not going to say that this person is a fan and that person is not one because of the things they say, but to me, as a fan (yes, I think I qualify ), I can't imagine being a fan of Elvis and yet so quick to completely dismiss any aspect of his life or career. But that's just me and I don't want to pass judgement.

I could keep yammering on here and still not totally nail down what it is...I could tell you that generally speaking I would rather watch the CBS tapes than the Aloha special, but I really can't explain exactly why that is. That's why it's a great question, LTB!
    It's nice to read some of the nice things said about Elvis from just a few years ago !
    And, 1977 is one of my favorite years .
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    It's nice to read some of the nice things said about Elvis from just a few years ago !
    And, 1977 is one of my favorite years .
    I agree Cameron it is. I know even I sometimes tend to well I don't mean to put Elvis down but its hard not to when we talk about some of the things he chose to do, and things he could've done but didn;t do. But the fact is he did it his way and imo he did the best he could given his set of circumstances. 1977 is probably my favorite year for concerts, , I hope i don't get laughed off the forum for that one but its true. I was watching my Pieces Of My Life 3 DVD set anthology and it showed Hurt From the May 2nd 1977 show in Chicago and the ending was just INCREDIble with Elvis going on hi back flipping over and running around the stage sort of afterwards Just incredible stuff to see! His voice was just as passionate on those songs from 1977, listen to Where No One Stands Alone from Coming On Strong import CD, man thats good stuff!!!!
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    I agree Cameron it is. I know even I sometimes tend to well I don't mean to put Elvis down but its hard not to when we talk about some of the things he chose to do, and things he could've done but didn;t do. But the fact is he did it his way and imo he did the best he could given his set of circumstances. 1977 is probably my favorite year for concerts, , I hope i don't get laughed off the forum for that one but its true. I was watching my Pieces Of My Life 3 DVD set anthology and it showed Hurt From the May 2nd 1977 show in Chicago and the ending was just INCREDIble with Elvis going on hi back flipping over and running around the stage sort of afterwards Just incredible stuff to see! His voice was just as passionate on those songs from 1977, listen to Where No One Stands Alone from Coming On Strong import CD, man thats good stuff!!!!
    That's why I've decided to stay out of those "discussions."
    I've no idea what elvis "really did or didn't do." I didn't live his life. IF I had, there would have been some serious " house cleaning" long before it was started.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

That's why I've decided to stay out of those "discussions."
    I've no idea what elvis "really did or didn't do." I didn't live his life. IF I had, there would have been some serious " house cleaning" long before it was started.
    Let me guess what your first step of action would be. Firing everyone in the Memphis Mafia...

But back to the topic, I'm sure they tried to do "house Cleaning" as you put it like Linda Thompson for example but it comes down to Elvis himself. He was a grown man, not a child, they couldn't tell him to stop doing what he was doing. Like he said when Priscilla left Him, "I'm not gonna change for anybody"........
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

= Like he said when Priscilla left Him, "I'm not gonna change for anybody"........
    I have to only assume you were there !
    How presumptious we all are !

Cameron and Brad - We really need to get a life (or some sleep)!!! What in the world are we doing up at 2:30 in the morning???????

Forever Best Friends

I have to only assume you were there !
    How presumptious we all are !
    Guess I should have put my source there on that one. Marty Lacker said he pulled up to Graceland right when Elvis found out she was really leaving, and Marty asked him if he was going to change and that was Elvis' answer. I don't see why Marty would lie about something like that, but beleive it or not your choice. Can be heard on the documentary All the kings men..

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyInsane View Post
    Cameron and Brad - We really need to get a life (or some sleep)!!! What in the world are we doing up at 2:30 in the morning???????
    It's actually 10 minutes til 4 here where I'm at

Hey we're just devoted EP fans, can't beat that. It's actually nice to have some company on here at this hour, I'm usually roaming around all by myself throughout the night

Hey we're just devoted EP fans, can't beat that. It's actually nice to have some company on here at this hour, I'm usually roaming around all by myself throughout the night
    Glad we can help you out this morning!!! Can you call me at work around 2:30 and keep me awake til I get off????

Forever Best Friends

Glad we can help you out this morning!!! Can you call me at work around 2:30 and keep me awake til I get off????
    *laughs*

Absolutley Gail, anything to help ya out and keep you awake so you can make it through the day

You go to work at 2:30 in the day I'm assumming what time you get off late at night?

Sorry if i'm being nosey, just in a chatty mood and curious lol

*laughs*

Absolutley Gail, anything to help ya out and keep you awake so you can make it through the day

You go to work at 2:30 in the day I'm assumming what time you get off late at night?

Sorry if i'm being nosey, just in a chatty mood and curious lol
    No, actually I go to work around 6:30 or 7:00 and get off around 3:30 or 4:00. Maybe I should go in at 5:00 and leave at 2:00!!
    Actually I think I'm gonna log on to work and do some work from here in a few minutes!!

Forever Best Friends

No, actually I go to work around 6:30 or 7:00 and get off around 3:30 or 4:00. Maybe I should go in at 5:00 and leave at 2:00!!
    Actually I think I'm gonna log on to work and do some work from here in a few minutes!!
    I would do that...makes you able to have time for yourself..or atleast maybe just a few minutes that is.

I lay down to watch a movie earlier , went to sleep.
    Hate it when I do that ! Now, I'm awake, but getting sleepy again.

You don't sleep or work? What are you taking ??

No Doz don't even keep me awake!!!

Forever Best Friends

*hehe* I mean cameron I do work lol, I meant I'm usually on here through the night after I get home

I'm about ready to sleep again. It's raining --again . That helps.

Brad; you're beginning to sound like Elvis with no sleep.
    Better be careful , that makes an old man out of you .

I'm about ready to sleep again. It's raining --again . That helps.

Brad; you're beginning to sound like Elvis with no sleep.
    Better be careful , that makes an old man out of you .
    Your right Cameron Ahh I have nothing better to do with my time as long as i'm content then i am fine

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast