Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Fascination With '77 Elvis

And, what could be better than blasting Elvis all night long!!! Either you have some great headphones or some deaf parents!!!!

Forever Best Friends

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TotallyInsane View Post
    And, what could be better than blasting Elvis all night long!!! Either you have some great headphones or some deaf parents!!!!
    My parents bedroom is way on the other side of the house so I have that covered Gail...got polk Salad from May 26th 1977 Binghampton NY blasting through the speakers..Elvis never sounded better
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Some really good posts here.
    I too am fascinated with Elvis '77 and the suggestion that he appeared `more human' and more friendly at that time ring a bell with me.
    His concerts were no longer the karate-kicking spectaculars of a few years earlier - they were true `love-ins' with the fans. Elvis gave his scarves, has handshakes, his kisses and the fans gave him gifts.
    He gave true emotion in his songs - his fans responded with love and applause.
    These were no longer rock'n'roll concerts these were appearances by a living (albeit barely) legend and it seems that as he dragged his tired and abused body from one show to another that it was that two-way love affair that kept him going.
    Elvis' nervous appearance before EIC, his little prayer, his humble (though jumbled) words to JD during Rapid City are examples of his very fragile but very human state.
    He was no longer the strutting confident man of Aloha or EOT but we see much more of the man during this time, even if some of what we see is quite tragic.
    Those huge notes on Hurt, the stark reality of My Way as opposed to the overrblown earlier versions, and the pure emotional brilliance of Unchained Melody make for some of the most startling musical moments of his career.
    And Way Down from just a few months earlier proved he c ould still rock with the best
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    His concerts were no longer the karate-kicking spectaculars of a few years earlier - they were true `love-ins' with the fans.
    Most '77 shows were parodies. And sad ones at that. The love-in of which you speak was based on the legend of Elvis Presley rather than top-notch musical performances or any remaining charisma.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Speaking as a woman, watching the CBS special just made me love him more. It hurt to see him looking so ill but it brought our my protective side and I just wanted to hold and comfort him. I thought his voice was fantastic.

There isn't any phase of Elvis' life that I felt I wanted to distance the love I've always felt for him....I grew up with him, he was like family.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Some really good posts here.
    I too am fascinated with Elvis '77 and the suggestion that he appeared `more human' and more friendly at that time ring a bell with me.
    His concerts were no longer the karate-kicking spectaculars of a few years earlier - they were true `love-ins' with the fans. Elvis gave his scarves, has handshakes, his kisses and the fans gave him gifts.
    He gave true emotion in his songs - his fans responded with love and applause.
    These were no longer rock'n'roll concerts these were appearances by a living (albeit barely) legend and it seems that as he dragged his tired and abused body from one show to another that it was that two-way love affair that kept him going.
    Elvis' nervous appearance before EIC, his little prayer, his humble (though jumbled) words to JD during Rapid City are examples of his very fragile but very human state.
    He was no longer the strutting confident man of Aloha or EOT but we see much more of the man during this time, even if some of what we see is quite tragic.
    Those huge notes on Hurt, the stark reality of My Way as opposed to the overrblown earlier versions, and the pure emotional brilliance of Unchained Melody make for some of the most startling musical moments of his career.
    And Way Down from just a few months earlier proved he c ould still rock with the best
    Rick
    He "matured" in my eyes and he became more human and reachable.
    It's nice to go back and see what others used to say!
    I like going back in the older threads to see how things have changed !
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

I understand having compassion for Elvis during that rough time.I would hate to think we didnt have any.I just cant understand people feeling he was more human or mature.I dont know what they are seeing.He was a once vibrant man who was struggling and dying before youre eyes?How does that make him more mature or reachable?It was painfull to watch.There is no point in trying to derive some greater meaning out of what was happening.Elvis wasnt sending out any secret message sto the fans.There was nothing positive about this time period.It was a miserable time.Not only for him but for many of the fans who could see things plainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Most '77 shows were parodies. And sad ones at that. The love-in of which you speak was based on the legend of Elvis Presley rather than top-notch musical performances or any remaining charisma.

This is exactly it.His fans loved him no matte rwhat.The reality of that time is a far cry from some people's perception.

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    I understand having compassion for Elvis during that rough time.I would hate to think we didnt have any.I just cant understand people feeling he was more human or mature.I dont know what they are seeing.He was a once vibrant man who was struggling and dying before youre eyes?How does that make him more mature or reachable?It was painfull to watch.There is no point in trying to derive some greater meaning out of what was happening.Elvis wasnt sending out any secret message sto the fans.There was nothing positive about this time period.It was a miserable time.Not only for him but for many of the fans who could see things plainly.
    Maybe, some day we can all be loved unconditionally--by someone !
    Those that "feel it and saw it" can't explain it, IMO.
    We're all different and I'm glad I'm the way I am !
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

I can't say I felt he was more nature or reachable, in fact I felt I was losing him. It was quite obvious to me that there something seriously wrong and that he wouldn't be around much longer.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Maybe, some day we can all be loved unconditionally--by someone !
    Those that "feel it and saw it" can't explain it, IMO.
    We're all different and I'm glad I'm the way I am !
    Unconditional love is just fine.However there is no need to distort things.He was more mature and reachable at that time?The facts are the exact opposite.Elvis was less reachable than he had ever been and dont mention his maturity.

That was the whole problem at the time. He wasn't reachable, the addiction had gone on far too long.

Diane

Unconditional love is just fine.However there is no need to distort things.He was more mature and reachable at that time?The facts are the exact opposite.Elvis was less reachable than he had ever been and dont mention his maturity.
    Probably it is more accurate to say---his voice matured .
    Reachable? Only by some that "saw" what was happening !
    While NOT physically "reachable , there are better ways !

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyInsane View Post

No Doz don't even keep me awake!!!
    That may very well may be the understatement of the decade. Watching A 6 ft.tall TV screen with Elvis doing "Patch It Up" doesn't keep you awake either. And..when you are asleep it does NO good for anyone to stand over you and scream "what is your password" either!

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    That may very well may be the understatement of the decade. Watching A 6 ft.tall TV screen with Elvis doing "Patch It Up" doesn't keep you awake either. And..when you are asleep it does NO good for anyone to stand over you and scream "what is your password" either!

Forever Best Friends

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Speaking as a woman, watching the CBS special just made me love him more. It hurt to see him looking so ill but it brought our my protective side and I just wanted to hold and comfort him. I thought his voice was fantastic.

There isn't any phase of Elvis' life that I felt I wanted to distance the love I've always felt for him....I grew up with him, he was like family.

Diane
    Wow, I think I am the only person who thinks his voice in 1977 was not good at all. It sounded frail, strained and with no tonal quality. It just sounded thin to me compared to most of the decade (1970 to 1975). I can't think of a single song that was not done better at an earlier time period, including My Way, Hurt and How Great Thou Art.

Those last two years were definitely not my favorite ELVIS years.
    My favorite years would be 56, 57, 68, 69 70, 71
    But.......I will never love ELVIS less...EVER...
    Last edited by SweetCaroline; 06-20-2008 at 08:14 PM. Reason: grammar

I will never forget you Rosanne.
    R.I.P. 4-27-59~7-22-09

Great post Jak. For me, EIC is STILL painful to watch. I stood in the raquetball court in April and watched EIC on screen at one end, while AFH was showing on the other end. To me....it was very emotional. Yes...I saw him as suffering and stretching to be a shell of the performer he once was. To me...he was no more "reachable" than he had been on the night when he autographed a picture for "Bohega". His singing voice may have been strong, but his speaking voice was halting and weak. In October of 77 when we all saw EIC I was heartbroken. It still fascinates me as to how it all came to such a tragic end. As bad as it hurts me to watch it..I always wonder what those around him think now when they see it, 30 years later. There was nothing about that show that was warm and appealing. I almost felt like a voyeur...watching something that maybe I shouldn't be seeing.

In an island in the North Atlantic called Newfoundland , Canada
    So true Rosanne. I find it so difficult to watch EIC or even to look at photos of Elvis during the last two years of his life. I almost think of Elvis at that time as being a different individual than the one I grew up loving and listening to. I don`t really know how to explain it. I watch him at the end of his life at that concert and I feel like I am at the edge of my seat wanting to help him out in some way! It is very weird! My gosh he was just 42 and I am 42 and I think he was so young!! How did it get to this!!! It is for me very heartbreaking to watch. A man who should of been in the prime of his life was now at the end of his life. I often wonder what did he think when he saw himself that way!! God bless him!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    My parents bedroom is way on the other side of the house so I have that covered Gail...got polk Salad from May 26th 1977 Binghampton NY blasting through the speakers..Elvis never sounded better
    OK Brad...this is totally off-topic, BUT....how many times an hour do you change avatars?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast