Thread: Could the King have been the 4th Tenor?

Could the King have been the 4th Tenor?

Going through abit of a pop/opera phase at the moment... so on my 3cd changer on my stereo , i had Andrea Bocelli and Il Divo (they're a new quartet..but cant touch the stamps) so i thought id place El in the mix , so i chose a good inspirational comp.
    I suppose i shouldnt be surprised how easily he blended in to that sound and feel... especially with An evening prayer....He touched me ....Where did they go Lord ..etc.
    Man his voice could soar with the best of... :worthy: sometimes only Elvis singing Gospel with his power AND his feeling can do it for you.... no wonder How great thou art won him a grammy :worthy:

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Great post, Denny. My hunch is that diehard opera fans who aren't Elvis fans would strongly disagree, but then they haven't heard the things we've heard.

If it's not pure opera, some of the key elements are at least in evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by dennyelvis
    ...with his power AND his feeling...
    That's what it's all about right there, for me anyway...or, that's where the magic lies.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

I say Yes

In Elvis' later years he most cetainly had the voice of a tenor it is at this time I think his voice was at it's best. A couple of Elvis' last performances proves that not only could he sing but that his vocal abilities were out of this world. Such songs as "Hurt" and "I ll remember you" along with "American Trilogy" said it all

I would love to have heard Elvis sing "Nesum Dorma":worthy:

love and peace,
    Susan.
    Yesterday was the past and tomorrow is the future but today is the present ..thats why we call it the gift"

"Never listen to a liar it takes too long to find out the truth and my time is too precious"

"Without you I am only half of me"

Probably not. He was really a high baritone, rather than a tenor. He could reach up for some killer notes in full voice, but some of the less forced, more subtle high notes required by an operatic tenor would have sounded strained. When he was younger and his voice was naturally higher, he might have got closer with training, eg in Surrender the voice soars seemingly without great effort. Even then though, I'd say unlikely. But then could Pavarotti or Bocelli sing blues, country or rock 'n' roll convincingly? I think not

i agree, but not just his last years...When you hear "you'll never walk alone" and even "surrender" i think he could challenge the opera during all his life

could the king have been the fourth tenor

i'm not an opera fan, actually i cant stand opera,but having elvis on it might help me to appreciate opera.therefor i think he could have been the fourth tenor.

Elvis could do anything with his voice, he was a musical genius. Given the challenge, the opportunity, I couldn't see why not.

Quote Originally Posted by dennyelvis
    Going through abit of a pop/opera phase at the moment... so on my 3cd changer on my stereo , i had Andrea Bocelli and Il Divo (they're a new quartet..but cant touch the stamps) so i thought id place El in the mix , so i chose a good inspirational comp.
    I suppose i shouldnt be surprised how easily he blended in to that sound and feel... especially with An evening prayer....He touched me ....Where did they go Lord ..etc.
    Man his voice could soar with the best of... :worthy: sometimes only Elvis singing Gospel with his power AND his feeling can do it for you.... no wonder How great thou art won him a grammy :worthy:

Sometimes elvis voice could mixed up with his back-up singers...

And let me say this, each and every proffesional singer had their own style, voice, and how they carry each songs they're singing...and that is what happened to Elvis , Andrea Bocelli,...many more ...

I do believe elvis had a high voice , An Evening Prayer is one of my favourite song ....but his high voice only 'there' in some particular songs .. not all..

..compare to Luciano pavarotti...elvis voice is not too high... again it is all coming back to each of own style... Elvis enjoyed all kind of music and his effort of singing high probably the reflection from what he'd been listened and practised for years..
    Last edited by buttonhead; 11-14-2004 at 05:52 PM.

Mais oui - for sure
    Take care,

Paul
    Paul's Elvis Page