Thread: Aloha From Hawaii notice

Aloha From Hawaii notice

Hey everybody!
    Do you think that the sound mixing of AFH Deluxe Edition has an incredibly crap mixing? Especially the satellite show... I noticed that during the intro to CC Rider and in the song there's almost no electricity and energy, you can hardly hear the brasses and the slide trombone, and the backing vocals are at the far back to the point, where you can't almost hear them. It's not as electrifying as the original 1973 RCA mix which has a full, butt-kicking and thunderous rhythm and energy. It has a more "live" feeling to me. Why did they have to screw it up so badly? And it's like there was no audience... I'm really pissed despite the fact that I've had the dvd for years.

For comparison (the second video is not the best quality but you can still notice the energy-difference):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLzMpCRSwUM"]YouTube - Elvis Presley - See See Rider(Split Screen Version)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eepd8wR4O9A"]YouTube - Elvis Presley - C.C. Rider[/ame]
    Poke a little sock salad...

Re: Aloha From Hawaii notice

They really cleaned the image but they probably wanted to clean the sound too and they stripped the life out of it!
    Cool 70's

To be honest, the initial cd release was worse.

If you are talking about the DVD release, I think we should be thankful for what we got, since it's sounds awesome on a serious surround set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post

If you are talking about the DVD release, I think we should be thankful for what we got, since it's sounds awesome on a serious surround set.
    Total agreement Sonny, on a big t..v screen, with great sound quality.......Fab!!!
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Oh, ok... I don't have surround set... But I'll try it somehow. I meant the Aloha show on the deluxe dvd edition. The satellite one on the first dvd. There are no backing vocals at least on a stereo player... I don't know
    Poke a little sock salad...

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

I noticed that too mozzarella but I was just assuming that it sounded that way because I don't have a true surround sound set-up for my T.V.

I do agree with you though that I don't care for the new sound mix with the back-up vocals at an almost inaudible level...it really ruins songs like AMERICAN TRILOGY where the back-up vocalists are supposed to be showcased.

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

The mix on the 2004 Deluxe set is horrible and I don't expect any other future releases to be any different. Whoever mixed the backing vocals on that release should be fired!

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    The mix on the 2004 Deluxe set is horrible and I don't expect any other future releases to be any different. Whoever mixed the backing vocals on that release should be fired!
    Glad to know I wasn't the only one who had issues with the way the last DVD was remixed!!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar

I do as well.

"Sing it, fellas."

"Oh, I wish I was in Dixie..."

Ridiculous. I like to hear the man's voice, don't get me wrong, but I would like to get the true, full effect. Speaking again of Trilogy, the instrumental crescendo that puts that mean look on his face and the accompanying voices and instruments at the song's finale are just pulled way back. Though I have come to get used to it, it definitely hindered my enjoyment of the song when I first heard this (being more used to the old mix then).

Don't get me wrong; I enjoy the heck out of my Deluxe Edition Aloha DVD set. If I hadn't heard it the other way I might not have realized what I was missing. And it's not just the latest version...I remember going from the 1991-ish videocassette to the DVD from the mid to late nineties and that was when I first experienced this. I had hoped for this to be corrected with the last sets but it wasn't to be.

(Of course this is not only in evidence on Trilogy. Just citing that as an example.)
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post

i gotta agree
    Play it James!