Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BACK in MEMPHIS

TCB Mafia

BACK in MEMPHIS

In my opinion one of the most underrated and criminally unknown albums of Elvis career is Back in Memphis released in 1970 as a follow up to the more well know and praised From Elvis in Memphis this album has gone largely unoticed but it stacks up well against FEIM it's more ballad oriented but it holds it's own.

What does everyone think of the album Back in Memphis?

Re: BACK in MEMPHIS

In my oppinion it is not as strong as FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS, but it still is a very good album, which surely does not get the attention that it should get.

PS: The cover photo looks absolutely great!

TCB Mafia

Just as I suspected when someone starts a thread about From Elvis in Memphis it will usually get a lot of responses but when I start a thread about Back in Memphis the other album to come out of the 69 sessions it gets no responses except for Welz. talk about an underrated and underappreciated
    It doesn't even get any respect from fans who's mouth's begins watering when you mention the 1969 Memphis sessions

I agree this album is underrated, it's got it all r&b, ballads and country.

I adore Elvis' version of Without Love i can listen to over and over again, Stranger in My Home Town is just smokin hot, then there's This is The Story, there isn't a song on that album i don't like.

I got this album when i was about 14 I had to wait for it to be reissued. And it just blew me away
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

Of course it is not as strong as "From Elvis In Memphis" but it is underrated in a kinda redicolous way. Songs like "Inherit The Wind", "And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind", "The Fair's Moving On" or "Without Love" don't deserve such a fate.
    They should had edit a double album with "From Elvis In Memphis" and "Back In Memphis" instead of "Back In Memphis" and "In Person"
    "If you're an Elvis fan, no explanation is necessary; If you're not an Elvis fan, no explanation is possible.
    (George Klein)

http://www.tcb-world.com/picture.php?albumid=466&pictureid=10766

the 1999 CD release Suspicious Minds has the Memphis 1969 session on it.

It's great

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/...ious+Minds.htm
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

BACK IN MEMPHIS is one of my favorite albums...very underrated indeed!!

INHERIT THE WIND, THIS IS THE STORY & A LITTLE BIT OF GREEN are 3 of my favorite Elvis songs from the '69 sessions and STRANGER IN MY OWN HOMETOWN just rocks!!!

It is too bad that this album gets overlooked in favor of FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS. I often wondered how this album would have done had it been released as a single album first (instead of part of the double LP) and released apart from the FEIM album so that the two of them could be more distinguished separately.

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    BACK IN MEMPHIS is one of my favorite albums...very underrated indeed!!

INHERIT THE WIND, THIS IS THE STORY & A LITTLE BIT OF GREEN are 3 of my favorite Elvis songs from the '69 sessions and STRANGER IN MY OWN HOMETOWN just rocks!!!

It is too bad that this album gets overlooked in favor of FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS. I often wondered how this album would have done had it been released as a single album first (instead of part of the double LP) and released apart from the FEIM album so that the two of them could be more distinguished separately.

TCB!
    Mike
    Probably still would've been just as underrated as it is now

International Level Suspicious Minds's Avatar

I like Back In Memphis more than From Elvis In Memphis.
    Don't know why they did not release these two as a double album.
    I did not like all tracks on the From Elvis In Memphis album where as I like playing all the Back In Memphis album.
    Frank

Every man has a flaming star

SleepyJack

I was kind of surprised to see this thread when I logged on.... I listened to this album just this morning! It definitely must rank amongst the most under-rated of all the albums.... not sure why exactly. It is one of the few original Elvis albums that even today sounds like a mature,serious and very professional piece of work. I think it would have done a lot better had they chosen not to release it as part of the "From Memphis to Vegas,from Vegas to Memphis" double album.
    Agree completely though... very under-rated... and a great album.

his work during this time period,was brilliant!

Love all the variations/albums from 69 SESSIONS. The best of his careerIMO.
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

When I bought the album-it was part of the 2 record set
    "From Memphis to Vegas/From Vegas to Memphis"
    I did enjoy the studio cuts on the second record which was later released alone.
    I think it was a strong album on its own-not as strong as
    "From Elvis in Memphis" but a good album.
    The reason it went unnoticed-IMO is because it was not originally released on its own-it was part of the double album. The live cuts from Vegas which were the first live cuts of Elvis on record got the majority of the praise and attention. So Back in Memphis was lost in the shuffle.
    Its like TTWII SE being shown on Turner-months before its released for sale-dumb marketing.
    Work in Progress!

TCB Mafia

For all the talk the 1969 Memphis sessions receive perhaps they aren't all that praised and liked by fans after all.

When people talk about the 69 sessions being the best Elvis ever did they mean the album From Elvis in Memphis and the singles to come out of those sessions but that's far from being the entire sessions

A lot of what was recorded during these sessions wasn't put on FEIM or released as singles that includes songs on Back in Memphis
    so fans really do overlook a lot

Like I said earlier Back in Memphis can hold it's own against FEIM
    and if the album had opened with a gritty fast paced uptempo song instead of Inherit the Wind and From a Jack to a King had been replaced with If I'm a fool for loving I'd rate Back in Memphis higher than From Elvis in Memphis

I also like the cover for Back in Memphis better than the one for From Elvis in Memphis.

SleepyJack

I started collecting Elvis` music around the age of eleven,and not having much money,I started out with a couple of "Greatest Hits" albums and the first three of the "Gold Records" series.... it was quite a bit after that when I first heard the music from the `69 sessions,with the exception of "In the ghetto","Don`t cry daddy"...the better known tracks. I couldn`t believe how "modern" it sounded to me at the time....it was an Elvis that I hadn`t really heard until then. I actually got "Back in Memphis" before I got "From Elvis in Memphis"...and I`ve pretty much loved them equally ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    For all the talk the 1969 Memphis sessions receive perhaps they aren't all that praised and liked by fans after all.

When people talk about the 69 sessions being the best Elvis ever did they mean the album From Elvis in Memphis and the singles to come out of those sessions but that's far from being the entire sessions

A lot of what was recorded during these sessions wasn't put on FEIM or released as singles that includes songs on Back in Memphis
    so fans really do overlook a lot

Like I said earlier Back in Memphis can hold it's own against FEIM
    and if the album had opened with a gritty fast paced uptempo song instead of Inherit the Wind and From a Jack to a King had been replaced with If I'm a fool for loving I'd rate Back in Memphis higher than From Elvis in Memphis

I also like the cover for Back in Memphis better than the one for From Elvis in Memphis.
    Thats kind of a general statement-I have said before that the 69 sessions were fantastic-but naturally when you cut that many sides as quickly as he did some are the "best of the best" some are great, some are okay......
    As for me I realize the number of sides which were cut and they were not all on FEIM-I mean if they had been we would have had the largest album ever cut.
    Work in Progress!

Love this album!
    Last edited by Joe Car; 05-22-2009 at 01:35 PM.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Probably still would've been just as underrated as it is now
    True Brian, but it still would be interesting to see how BIM would have done...

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Both albums are to be combined for a deluxe edition FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS 2-CD. details on ELVIS.COM

SleepyJack

On the subject of under-rated albums.... Any of you think that it would be fair to say that Elvis isn`t really all that known for his albums anymore? Sure, everybody knows the name Elvis, everybody has at some point heard all the big hits... but if a survey were to be done among the general population of today? How many people would be able to name five Elvis Presley albums..original albums? With many artists there is at least one big album that everybody associates with them.... Bruce Springsteen`s "Born in the USA", Pink Floyd`s "Dark side of the moon", Bob Dylan`s "Blood on the tracks", The Beach Boys` "Pet Sounds".... It seems to me that nowadays all you ever hear about from Elvis is the big "Greatest Hits" collections like "HitStory" etc..... and sadly,here in Ireland at least,that is about all you see in the music stores.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast