Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The next re-mix release ?

The next re-mix release ?

Following up on the last 2 remix releases...JXL + the Rubberneckin releases...which track would you all like to see be released next ?
    I would hope for something not to commercial to get the treatment...maybe VIVA LAS VEGAS or a real power blasting PROMISED LAND !
    Your thoughts on this please guys...what would your 19th NO.1 be ?

Talking

Hmm..how about polk salad annie? I think that would sound really cool remixed.
    Elvis grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    the courage to change the things I can
    and the wisdom to know the difference

I?d rather they didn?t issue another remix. I think the JXL remix was fine as one off, but the ?Rubberneckin?? remix wasn?t up to the same standard in my opinion, and the sales were an indication that BMG can?t really expect to keep repeating the trick.

I do appreciate the problem BMG would have though in promoting Elvis? singles if the remix idea was dropped. The remixes were treated as new releases by the radio stations, and this meant that they got a share of the airplay. There are numerous songs in the Elvis catalogue that are not known to the general public and certainly have hit potential, but a straight re-issue of an old track is likely to be treated as such, and would most likely not be listed for airplay.

As singles don?t really make money for record companies these days, and are generally viewed as ?loss leaders? to sell albums, maybe BMG could look at other ways of promoting new Elvis releases. Earlier in the year when The Beatles issued the ?Let It Be Naked? album, no single was issued to promote the set, but a new video was made for the song ?Two of Us? and this received quite a lot of airplay on the various digital music channels which obviously drew attention to the release of the album.

I think BMG could have used the same method to promote the recent 68 Comeback and Aloha DVD?s, and it could be a viable option for future CD releases. Of course it is always nice to see Elvis? name on the singles chart, but I think the quality of the product is equally important, and for me personally the ?Rubberneckin?? remix wasn?t great.

Red face

I agree , Rubberneckin was a bad move...and as for the music video?
    Elvis grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    the courage to change the things I can
    and the wisdom to know the difference

TCB Mafia
    I think something like promised Land.....Power of my love....(those spring to mind) would be ok as potential re-mix releases...

I agree that Rubberneckin' wasn't up to the standard of ALLC....but it was still a good re-mix. Part of the problem there was that BMG missed the boat in my opinion....i should have followed ALLC a lot quicker than it did Leaving it a year was ridiculous

ALLC brought Elvis right back into the limelight. It was absolutely terrific for Elvis' popularity...especially with the younger generation...and had Rubberneckin' followed it up quickly it may have been a different story on how well it performed it the charts.

Whatever they choose....would be a good idea....simply because they are listened to along with modern music and Elvis' name comes back into the limelight....and in my book that can be nothing but a good thing

Of course....having said that they could release something just not done right....unlike the previous two...and then i might regret what i have just said
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by NightRider
    Whatever they choose....would be a good idea....simply because they are listened to along with modern music and Elvis' name comes back into the limelight....and in my book that can be nothing but a good thing
    It would be interesting to hear from people that became new fans as a result of the publicity the remixes created, and how they rate the original material, now that they have had a chance to listen to more Elvis recordings.

I?ve often wondered whether the people that bought the remixes liked them because they were Elvis tracks, or because they were fans of modern dance music. If the latter is the case then the remixes are unlikely to win over new fans in the long term.

If there are any new fans here, maybe they could post their thoughts on this?

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinrebel
    It would be interesting to hear from people that became new fans as a result of the publicity the remixes created, and how they rate the original material, now that they have had a chance to listen to more Elvis recordings.

I?ve often wondered whether the people that bought the remixes liked them because they were Elvis tracks, or because they were fans of modern dance music. If the latter is the case then the remixes are unlikely to win over new fans in the long term.

If there are any new fans here, maybe they could post their thoughts on this?
    Yes...good point Rockinrebel....that would be interesting to know....they have had an effect on a couple of people i know....not particularly young fans mind you ....but an effect it was....
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

I've heard the "Viva las Vegas" remix that was made a while ago,and it could be a great official product!!

The right clip,heavy advertising(most important) and Elvis is once again at number one!!
    JohanD

"And i'm never gonna cease my wondering..."

Coming On Strong
    My guess is it will be 'Wearin' That Loved On Look' ... great!!!!

Cadillac King
    I have had two people ask me about " Elvas" ( they were of Brazillian extract) ....after ALLC : so the curiosity was there to find out more, but I they were looking for more upbeat dance tracks ...serious Disco freaks.

More publicity ? forget it that is not an option for both BMG and EPE - the recent DVD sets proved that. The bare minimum is what they have in mind and budget.

jb
    Last edited by jbgude; 11-08-2004 at 01:37 AM.

Mad Tigers
    Quote Originally Posted by AronNL
    My guess is it will be 'Wearin' That Loved On Look' ... great!!!!

Now that would be awesome!! I have thought about remixing that for a while.

That is actually what I do for a living is remixing music. I did a mix of the Paul O remix myself (Rubberneckin'). I am also friends with Jason Nevins and wasnt to thrilled with his version. I am thinking about doing someting Elvis wise and send it to my RCA contact.

The problem with doing a remix of Promise Land and Viva Las Vegas is that they are just tooo Fast to play in the clubs - the best tempo is 100 to 140 anything faster than that just wont work - mix wise...

I will actually start to work on something here in the future and will post it up here and get everyones opinion on it. There I said it and now I have to do it

Mark
    Ultimix

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    TOUGH QUESTION DENNYELVIS!!!

I have to agree with rockinrebel here that A LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION was indeed great as a one-time thing! I also felt that the RUBBERNECKIN' remix was not up to the same standards as CONVERSATION...certainly enjoyable to listen to, but just not as good as CONVERSATION.

RCA has publicly admitted that, in order to have a hit single/video, you have to spend LOTS of money to promote it....something that RCA doesn't really seem all that interested in doing. In my opinion, it's pretty simple for RCA....why spend lots of money to promote a new remixed song, when they can simply release a CD full of reissued material and make a larger profit? Personally, I think it's a little frustrating to fans when RCA would much rather reissue Elvis' gospel music for the 20th time than to put their resources behind a new remix (or even a NON-REMIXED, lesser known track from Elvis' catalog) to promote Elvis for the newer generations of fans! Not that there is anything wrong with reissuing Elvis' gospel music (I used that just as an example), but wouldn't it be cool to hear a lesser known song, like TRUE LOVE TRAVELS ON A GRAVEL ROAD or POWER OF MY LOVE playing on the radio, being promoted as Elvis' new single...regardless of whether it's the original recording or a remixed version? Of course, using the original version would be much more cost efficent in this scenario, as RCA would have to pay to have a song remixed. But either way, it would be very cool in my opinion!! But, as I said, RCA has publicly admitted that it is a MAJOR cost to promote a new single in today's radio markets....so why would/should they spend that kind of money, when it's much easier and more cost-effective for RCA (and hence more profit making) to simply re-release Elvis' music in new packages!!

So, unfortunately, I really don't foresee another Elvis remix coming down the line anytime soon....

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

International Level
    I love the song of Rubberneckin , but i never liked the re-mixed version .

And i hope i won't anymore Elvis re mixes , i still like his original version of all of
    his music.
    Curtis Simpkins

Long Live Vinyl. :worthy:

As most of you said ...Rubberneckin' wasn't really a great re-mix ..poor video clips how could they do that .....

I still wanted to get more of his re-mix,...but in hope that they still put the real elvis music to it...and not some kind of re-mix which is only good to be played in a discotheque..

Coming On Strong
    It's true that BMG doing a remix on their own for a single release would likely be a loss. However to have this done in partnership for a promotion (ala Nike) or for a movie soundtrack is still an excellent opportunity and in line with at least the vision expressed by EPE. BMG doesn't seem to have a vision so on that I can't say.

The larger problem is that BMG USA doesn't seem to have the talent for repositioning Elvis. So as with ALLC and the Disney film, it's really up to the partner or possibly an influx of Sony staff.

Eileen

It's obvious that the Oakenfold remix of "Rubberneckin'" had not the same impact as "A Little Less Conversation". Apart from that most Elvisfans don't seem to like it very much.

As far as I'm concerned I find it quite good, but somehow it sounded too much like a (not so good) copy of ALLC. It's a pity that BMG didn't use the "groove mix" of Joseph Pirzada (correct me if I'm wrong) which imo is great and don't sound like "the little brother" of ALLC.

I think it's a bit difficult to chose the right song if there will be another remix in the near future. I've always thought "C'mon Everybody" would be a good choice, but I was not too impressed of the unofficial remix of it, which appeared a few months ago on the internet.

I also think "Wearin' That Loved On Look" or "Power Of My Love" would be interesting as a remix but my personal favorites are "Let Yourself Go" and "Change Of Habit"

Backstage Pass
    I thought Rubberneckin' was a good choice, but the end result wasn't as good as ALLC.
    I'd love a rocked-up TROUBLE or I think Let Yourself Go would have potential for the dance market.
    Maybe they could try a ballad - Just Pretend?
    rick
    rick

Mad Tigers
    I think the only way another remix by come about would be for a movie soundtrack - or a maybe a special remix only Elvis album - would would be really interesting - a better Elvis Medley would always be great!!! Not just Hound Dog etc..The project really wouldnt cost that much as far as remixing.A lot of remixers work on spec.

I know the diehard fans might not find that appealing...I have been a fan since 6 years old and would love to hear different mixes of some of the movie tunes, the fun ones...FTD might consider it, release the Older Elvis Medley that is not available on CD and do a 50's Medley, Movie hits medley part 1 and 2, 70's medley and Ultimate Live Medley. It might spill over into the consumer market or it might not....I would love to tackle that project .

By the way - check out my company web site -

www.ultimix.com

it says you must be a DJ or order - but you guys can have a look around if you want....

Mark
    Ultimix

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    David, I agree that the Rubberneckin' remix tried too hard to be like ALLC, or that's the way it came off anyway.

I believe that whatever EPE can do to keep Elvis current and generate new listeners, so long as a certain level of integrity is maintained, is probably worth doing. And when they choose something to promote, then by God, they ought to promote it.

It is kind of sad in a way that remixing Elvis' music is necessary in order to achieve a certain degree of success with it. I'm not sure that's necessarily the case.

I did like ALLC and Rubberneckin', more so the former. One of the elements in their success was the songs' not being that well known. I think that is really key, to the point that perhaps another unknown song, if it has the right things going for it including a certain degree of timelessness, could be re-released in its original form and potentially do quite well.

Nothing against dance remixes, but do all remixes have to fit that category? I don't think I underestimate the influence of the dance club scene, but does a song have to go over big with them in order to have any hope of widespread exposure and acceptance? (Maybe I do, I dunno.)

It's been pointed out to me before when I've suggested re-releasing a country song that the country chart is just a U.S. thing, but why not shoot for Elvis having another #1 country hit? A great many country artists, others in the business, and fans of country music are Elvis fans, and he's done well on the country charts in the past, including times (such as now) when he wasn't too big a presence on the pop charts.

I think such a move would not limit Elvis' image and make him lose some of that hip quality, but rather showcase his wide-ranging talents, and show a side not seen by the ALLC fans and others. It could be a testament to his artistry.

If successful, a great follow-up album could consist of country songs people are familiar with, but not by him, and some other great lesser-knowns. Songs like T-R-O-U-B-L-E, Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain, Lovin' Arms, For The Heart (called Had A Dream when the Judds did it), You Don't Know me, etc. Perhaps one of those could be the song of choice...Lovin' Arms, maybe. (This album would also help in the area of releasing material a little deeper in the catalogue than the E1/E2 stuff, which needs to happen. BMG is just sitting on a gold mine!)

I don't like this idea just because I like country music; I happen to think success could come easier on the country charts, that's all.

But whatever works, even if it's not something that all of Elvis' established fans are particularly keen on, should be given consideration.

Another dance remix at this point just seems like it would have a tough time, because the novelty has worn off and people know that Rubberneckin' didn't do as well, so it would just seem like an attempt to squeeze one last nickel out of the idea. But maybe the right song done just right with the right marketing tie-ins could spell success again...It just doesn't seem that likely to me.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Steve
    I will go for a remix a

Clean up you own backyard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast