Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The next re-mix release ?

Southeastern Portion of These Here United States
    I will agree with the Nightrider that a pumped up version of Promised Land would be awesome. I also wouldn't mind hearing remixed versions of Let Yourself Go, What'd I Say, or perhaps a song from his last recording sessions such as Way Down?

Also, since I am a huge fan of remixes, I would certainly like to see a full cd of remixes be put together, though I doubt very seriously that BMG will ever try it.
    "Don't tamper with the property of the U.S. Male"

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    A remix of Promised Land could be promising, I'll give you that. But that's one that I think could be successful released as-is. Despite its being featured in Men In Black, that's one that most people aren't familiar with and that being the case, it has the surprise factor ("Wow, this is Elvis?") going for it.

But as rockinrebel points out, if it is treated as just an old song since it's not a remix, then people might not get too excited about it. It would have to be presented just right.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

I agree with you Lonniebealestreet. There are so many great songs of Elvis that are unknown to the casual listener. Maybe remixes would not be necessary, but then the songs have to be combined with good commercials or movies.

But filmmakers also tend to use well-known Elvishits for their movies. It was good to hear "Promised Land" in MIB or "A Little Less Conversation" (in its original form) in Ocean's Eleven or even "Pocketful Of Rainbows" in Jerry Maguire. But that's not the rule. And if some of these rather unknown songs are used, most people don't even think that this could be Elvis.

"All Shook Up" (Big Fish); "It's Now Or Never", "Jailhouse Rock", "Can't Help Fallin' In Love" (all in Fools Rush In); "Suspicious Minds", "Devil In Disguise" (both in Black Hawk Down) are the common choices. Btw it's always great to hear an Elvissong in a movie

BMG should be thankful for the great amount of very good Elvissongs to choose from. :worthy: So show everyone the real power of Elvis Presley!

A lot of varied opinion here guys ...and thats good after all we all want to here the best Elvis product possible.
    I agree with the guys who think topping or even following ALLC was like finding the Holy grail ...TWICE ! i also like the ideas of a good country remix , and especially an official remix album
    Like many im not abig fan of remix albums... ie: The Elvis Remixes vol 1/6... but i did like FTD's Too much monkey... to me thats a perfect blend of original and new sound.
    If we did go down the remix album road , should we use 30# 1s type of songs... or should we lean more to non commercial material ... man it is a tough one !

I like the FTD relase of "Too Much Monkey Business", too. But I don't like these versions more than the originals. As a matter of fact, some of them are really bad.

I think they did a decent job with "Burning Love", "Guitar Man", "Clean Up Your Own Backyard" and "Only The Strong Survive". But they are what they are: alternate versions and not the original. Someone like them, others don't.

But these remakes are a nice addition to your collection. I would welcome an album with remixed-versions (I would prefer lesser known songs). Nobody can really predict whether it's gonna be a success or it would bomb.

I don't know if the expenses for such an album would be too high, but I would like to see it happen sometimes. Maybe everyone would be surprised

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eileen
    It's true that BMG doing a remix on their own for a single release would likely be a loss. However to have this done in partnership for a promotion (ala Nike) or for a movie soundtrack is still an excellent opportunity and in line with at least the vision expressed by EPE. BMG doesn't seem to have a vision so on that I can't say.

The larger problem is that BMG USA doesn't seem to have the talent for repositioning Elvis. So as with ALLC and the Disney film, it's really up to the partner or possibly an influx of Sony staff.

Eileen
    FIRST AND FOREMOST....WELCOME TO OUR BOARD EILEEN!!! IT'S A PLEASURE TO MEET YOU AND WE HOPE YOU ENJOY IT HERE!!!

I think you are right on here Eileen!! As I mentioned in my previous post, RCA has publicly stated that, basically in order to have a hit single/video in today's markets, you need to spend a LOT of money to make that happen...and RCA just won't put that kind of money behind an Elvis single, whether it be a re-release of an original recording OR a re-mixed single. It's much more cost efficient (and profit making) for RCA to release a repackaged collection of hits, like ELVIS 30 #1 HITS, than it is to sink their money into promoting a "new" single from Elvis! In my opinion, that's kind of a sad state of affairs considering Elvis has been the cornerstone of RCA since 1956! That's not to say that RCA wouldn't have been successful without Elvis recording for them, but let's face reality...Elvis is obviously one of the biggest, if not THE biggest, artists on their label and I would think that RCA would be interested in doing something like this, without regard to the cost, for themselves (imagine the reputation that the label would have by releasing a new Elvis single and giving him another #1 hit more than 27 years after his passing) and for the fans!! (h)

As for your thoughts about RCA not having the talent for "repositioning" Elvis, again I think it probably comes back to the whole money issue....I would imagine that RCA could put together a crack-team of promoters for a new Elvis project, IF THEY WANTED TO SPEND THE MONEY!!

ALL I CAN SAY HERE IN CLOSING IS....THANK HEAVENS FOR ERNST AND THE "FTD" LABEL!!! Could you imagine our Elvis world today without Ernst and/or the "FTD" label???

Again, Eileen, WELCOME to the board!!!
    TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ultimix
    I think the only way another remix by come about would be for a movie soundtrack - or a maybe a special remix only Elvis album - would would be really interesting - a better Elvis Medley would always be great!!! Not just Hound Dog etc..The project really wouldnt cost that much as far as remixing.A lot of remixers work on spec.

I know the diehard fans might not find that appealing...I have been a fan since 6 years old and would love to hear different mixes of some of the movie tunes, the fun ones...FTD might consider it, release the Older Elvis Medley that is not available on CD and do a 50's Medley, Movie hits medley part 1 and 2, 70's medley and Ultimate Live Medley. It might spill over into the consumer market or it might not....I would love to tackle that project .

By the way - check out my company web site -

www.ultimix.com

it says you must be a DJ or order - but you guys can have a look around if you want....

Mark
    Ultimix
    INTERESTING IDEAS MARK!!!

An all-movie songs medley, or a medley containing Elvis' biggest/most popular hits of a particular decade...certainly would be interesting to hear for sure!! Lots of different song choices and ways you could assemble something like this!! (h)

If you ever decide to tackle this project, either professionally or for personal enjoyment, I hope you will consider sharing it with us here on the board....I think most everyone would be interested in hearing what something like this would sound like!!

TCB!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    David, I agree that the Rubberneckin' remix tried too hard to be like ALLC, or that's the way it came off anyway.

I believe that whatever EPE can do to keep Elvis current and generate new listeners, so long as a certain level of integrity is maintained, is probably worth doing. And when they choose something to promote, then by God, they ought to promote it.

It is kind of sad in a way that remixing Elvis' music is necessary in order to achieve a certain degree of success with it. I'm not sure that's necessarily the case.

I did like ALLC and Rubberneckin', more so the former. One of the elements in their success was the songs' not being that well known. I think that is really key, to the point that perhaps another unknown song, if it has the right things going for it including a certain degree of timelessness, could be re-released in its original form and potentially do quite well.

Nothing against dance remixes, but do all remixes have to fit that category? I don't think I underestimate the influence of the dance club scene, but does a song have to go over big with them in order to have any hope of widespread exposure and acceptance? (Maybe I do, I dunno.)

It's been pointed out to me before when I've suggested re-releasing a country song that the country chart is just a U.S. thing, but why not shoot for Elvis having another #1 country hit? A great many country artists, others in the business, and fans of country music are Elvis fans, and he's done well on the country charts in the past, including times (such as now) when he wasn't too big a presence on the pop charts.

I think such a move would not limit Elvis' image and make him lose some of that hip quality, but rather showcase his wide-ranging talents, and show a side not seen by the ALLC fans and others. It could be a testament to his artistry.

If successful, a great follow-up album could consist of country songs people are familiar with, but not by him, and some other great lesser-knowns. Songs like T-R-O-U-B-L-E, Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain, Lovin' Arms, For The Heart (called Had A Dream when the Judds did it), You Don't Know me, etc. Perhaps one of those could be the song of choice...Lovin' Arms, maybe. (This album would also help in the area of releasing material a little deeper in the catalogue than the E1/E2 stuff, which needs to happen. BMG is just sitting on a gold mine!)

I don't like this idea just because I like country music; I happen to think success could come easier on the country charts, that's all.

But whatever works, even if it's not something that all of Elvis' established fans are particularly keen on, should be given consideration.

Another dance remix at this point just seems like it would have a tough time, because the novelty has worn off and people know that Rubberneckin' didn't do as well, so it would just seem like an attempt to squeeze one last nickel out of the idea. But maybe the right song done just right with the right marketing tie-ins could spell success again...It just doesn't seem that likely to me.
    AMEN BROTHER!!!

Couldn't have said it better myself!! Why not try and give Elvis a country hit? A #1 hit is a #1 hit, regardless of whether it's on the pop charts or the country charts, right? MOODY BLUE was a #1 hit on the country charts, but not the pop charts....does that make it any less of a hit single for Elvis? Personally, I would like to see a push for Elvis to have another country hit single....after all, he was having some real success on the country charts again prior to his death with both MOODY BLUE and WAY DOWN....and the country charts is where he really started out, with his early Sun Records stuff like I FORGOT TO REMEMBER TO FORGET! Songs like LOVIN' ARMS, IT'S EASY FOR YOU, I'LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN, LOVE COMING DOWN....all great, lesser known songs that I feel would be worthy of airplay on country radio! But then again, I guess all of this speculation and hope for a country hit single would probably come back to the same thing I've mentioned before...MONEY and how much of it (if any) RCA would be willing to sink into promotion of a single!!

I agree that it does appear to be a sad state of affairs when RCA feels that Elvis' original recordings simply aren't good enough on their own to warrant release as a single, and that they have to "jazz them up" for public listening/release. And, while A LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION was both a great remix and a surprise hit, following it up with a much more mediocre remix on RUBBERNECKIN' was not the right way to go, in my opinion!!! (Not to say I didn't enjoy the RUBBERNECKIN' remix....I did enjoy it very much, but in a comparison between it and ALLC, I have to say that ALLC was the better remix hands down)

Just my opinion though....

TCB!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by david.z
    BMG should be thankful for the great amount of very good Elvissongs to choose from. :worthy: So show everyone the real power of Elvis Presley!
    RIGHT ON DAVID.Z!!!

And, by the way....WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!!! Hope to see you around here often!! (h)

TCB!
    Mike

remixes

i agree that rubberneckin was not a great remix, but if they wan't to do a nother one, they could try raised on rock.

Thank you very much, Mike. It's great to be here!

For sure you'll see me around here more often in the future and I'm goin' to introduce myself in that great thread "Who are you" soon.

Greetings to all on the board
    David

clean up your own backyard would be fantastic if done right, i also think that edge of reality has plenty of potential for a remix.

Quote Originally Posted by hounddogone2000
    clean up your own backyard would be fantastic if done right, i also think that edge of reality has plenty of potential for a remix.

Yeah... i love em both Hounddog... so understated and really cool !
    Going back to ALLC.. i remember when it first started to get airplay in the UK... and requests by the bucket full... even the kids at where i worked at the time just loved it ... that was great , Elvis back in the fore !..... but i also remember the poor response Rubber.... got , but hey... no NIKE behind that one

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Thank you very much, Mike. It's great to be here!

For sure you'll see me around here more often in the future and I'm goin' to introduce myself in that great thread "Who are you" soon.

Greetings to all on the board
    David
    SOUNDS GREAT DAVID!!!

Once again, WELCOME ABOARD!!!

TCB!
    Mike

Thank you, Mike. You're very kind.

I've already posted some information about me and three photos of mine on the "who are we"-board a few days ago and I'm already a "roustabout" .

So I'll keep posting....
    If you don't have nothing left to say,
    let me hold you one more time for ol' times sake

No, I'm a "Mad Tiger" now. Things are goin' great!
    If you don't have nothing left to say,
    let me hold you one more time for ol' times sake

CONGRATULATIONS DAVID!!!

Keep on posting my friend!!! And once again, you are VERY welcome!!!

TCB!
    Mike

I dont think another remix should be released.Am i the only one who thinks IF I CAN DREAM is the obvious choice,esspeicially with the new video from the comeback special.One word AWESOME :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:
    LETS BE FRIENDS!

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by geordie
    I dont think another remix should be released.Am i the only one who thinks IF I CAN DREAM is the obvious choice,esspeicially with the new video from the comeback special.One word AWESOME :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

No your not geordie...thats a great point...If I Can Dream would be a great choice....video and all
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12