Thread: Flaming Star, Wild in the Country, Follow that Dream and Kid Galahad

TCB Mafia

Flaming Star, Wild in the Country, Follow that Dream and Kid Galahad

Hi everyone

I want to know what everyone thinks of Elvis movies Flaming Star, Wild in the Country, Follow that Dream and Kid Galahad?

These 4 movies are non formula films that Elvis made in the early 60's and I think they were pretty good films that were moving Elvis in the right direction towards a career as a serious or at least respectable actor.
    When people think of Elvis movies they think of the pre-army ones or the really bad ones in the mid 60's like Clambake, Double Trouble, Easy Come, Easy go, Harem Scarem but these 4 always get overlooked.

So what does everybody think of them?

a tiny place on Earth, specifically, it is Surrey, BC, Canada, living here for 6 yrs now.

Re: Flaming Star, Wild in the Country, Follow that Dream and Kid Galahad

Honestly, we are lucky that Elvis made movies. he left us a most sweet man ever walked on Earth. Elvis movie career made up of his half career. Which means 50% Elvis is as a movie star. and I'm proudly to say I love all his movies.

a tiny place on Earth, specifically, it is Surrey, BC, Canada, living here for 6 yrs now.

60s Elvis is as glorious as God.

Personally i think these are the better of Elvis' films. i think he did a good acting job in these and the story lines aren't to bad. I like Wild in the Country then Flaming Star the best out of these four.
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Hi everyone

I want to know what everyone thinks of Elvis movies Flaming Star, Wild in the Country, Follow that Dream and Kid Galahad?

These 4 movies are non formula films that Elvis made in the early 60's and I think they were pretty good films that were moving Elvis in the right direction towards a career as a serious or at least respectable actor.
    When people think of Elvis movies they think of the pre-army ones or the really bad ones in the mid 60's like Clambake, Double Trouble, Easy Come, Easy go, Harem Scarem but these 4 always get overlooked.

So what does everybody think of them?

I liked these movies, Brian, "Flaming Star" stands out for me.

I grew up on Elvis' movies, and they gave me joy. I would look forward to them, and make sure I was home to watch them. They were my treat.

I can't say that about any other movies. Oh, lol "Born Free", lol and "Black Beauty" .

The movies made me feel good, they were fun.

I liked Also these movies Brian :-)

Those are pretty decent movies. Follow That Dream is maybe just a light one but I think Elvis did a good acting in it. While in many of his funny atempts in other films he just makes me smile I found myself laughing out loud more than once the first time I saw this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Those are pretty decent movies. Follow That Dream is maybe just a light one but I think Elvis did a good acting in it. While in many of his funny atempts in other films he just makes me smile I found myself laughing out loud more than once the first time I saw this one.
    I agree "Follow that Dream" Elvis does not play the sharpest knife in the drawer and hes hilarious. The others I enjoyed and thought he did quite well in.
    "Flaming Star" to me is his best acting followed by "King Creole", "Jailhouse Rock" "Wild In the Country"and "Love Me Tender" after those films the rest are pretty much formulas with music.
    Work in Progress!

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Mmmm....

Well for me, each movie has its own merit. FLAMING STAR and WILD IN THE COUNTRY are both quite dramatic and clearly a departure from the typical Elvis musical! While Elvis' acting in both of them is certainly above average, I personally lean toward COUNTRY just a little more...just a personal preference.

I think KID GALAHAD has a good storyline and again, Elvis' acting is above-average. I think the movie works because Elvis is very believable in the role.

As for FOLLOW THAT DREAM, I think this movie really shows off Elvis' comedic timing. He certainly played the part well, again showing off another facet of his acting chops. Clearly, DREAM is the most lightweight of the 4 films mentioned, but it proves that with a good script (even though it was a lightweight film), Elvis was a very good actor.

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

My Pa-Pa loved Follow That Dream and Kissing Cousins - he would just laugh and laugh and laugh!!!!

Forever Best Friends

I liked Kid Galahad, I think Elvid did a good job in his role and he seemed relaxed and easy-going in it...The storyline was good and it had a strong supporting cast..

franny

These movies aren't as bad as some of the ones Elvis made after 1963.Sorry,folks "Viva Las Vegas" is not one of my favorite Elvis movies.Flaming Star is a great movie and so is Kid Galahad.The later is one of my favorite movies from the early 60's.
    The One and Only King of Rock'n'Roll.