Thread: Interesting article

Interesting article

Elvis remained entombed at Forest Hill for two weeks. Some reports say that Vernon Presley intended for Elvis to be buried there temporarily, until burial permits could be issued for Graceland. Other sources say there was a body-snatching attempt, and Vernon got spooked, had Elvis exhumed - to be reburied at home. Either way, it was done in secret. Since Elvis was removed, the cemetery has maintained the crypt as a shrine, at their own expense. It is still empty, and for sale now. From what the cemetery staff told me, it ain't going cheap. We're talkin over a mil, easy.
    I'm the King of the Jungle, They call me Tigerman

]

Re: Interesting article

Quote Originally Posted by john carpenter View Post
    Elvis remained entombed at Forest Hill for two weeks. Some reports say that Vernon Presley intended for Elvis to be buried there temporarily, until burial permits could be issued for Graceland. Other sources say there was a body-snatching attempt, and Vernon got spooked, had Elvis exhumed - to be reburied at home. Either way, it was done in secret. Since Elvis was removed, the cemetery has maintained the crypt as a shrine, at their own expense. It is still empty, and for sale now. From what the cemetery staff told me, it ain't going cheap. We're talkin over a mil, easy.

There was, in fact, a bodysnatching attempt on 8/29/77. Four men, Ronnie Lee Adkins (Ron 'Bear' Tyler), Bruce Nelson, Raymond Green & Gary Travis were apprehended on the night of 8/29/77 for attempting to steal Elvis's remains. I have also read where Vernon had just placed Elvis there temporarily until Elvis could be buried (not reburied - he was never 'buried' in the first place - only entombed) at Graceland when permits could be issued but I have also read where the bodysnatching was a setup so that the Memphis city council would act faster on issuing the permits for Elvis (and Gladys) to be placed at Graceland. The move to bury Elvis at Graceland occured in the early evening hours of October 2, 1977. In the book, "The King Is Dead", Robert Kendall (Elvis's funeral director) incorrectly lists the move as taking place on October 15, 1977.

I have also comminicated with one of the men (Ron 'Bear' Tyler) about the bodysnatching attempt and he told me that it wasn't a setup so....who knows who is telling the truth?
    Last edited by Tony Trout; 03-30-2009 at 09:35 PM.

Elvis remained entombed at Forest Hill for two weeks.
    Not even close.

Try two months.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    I have also comminicated with one of the men (Ron 'Bear' Tyler) about the bodysnatching attempt and he told me that it wasn't a setup
    You can bet your bottom dollar that the snatching attempt was not a set up. There was no freakin' way that Vernon would have subjected his dead son to this indignity, or even a botched attempt at a body-snatch.

No way.

It also wasn't a truly serious attempt either. They were four guys, probably drunk out of their heads, pulling a stupid prank.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Not even close.

Try two months.

You can bet your bottom dollar that the snatching attempt was not a set up. There was no freakin' way that Vernon would have subjected his dead son to this indignity, or even a botched attempt at a body-snatch.

No way.

It also wasn't a truly serious attempt either. They were four guys, probably drunk out of their heads, pulling a stupid prank.

They probably were drunk (they definitely were druggies/junkies as you can read from what he told me in a conversation via IM) and it really wasn't a truly serious attempt but why would Mr. Tyler tell me the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Tyler
    I planned it and carried it out all the way, little brother. It was my baby and I had to raise it up from a child, feed it and make it grow and it did.

I also asked him who/where the other four men are today and here is what he told me:

They were only pawns that I used to get the job done, little brother. They still don't know why they were there or what the real deal was.
    I don't know where they are, Tony, and I don't care. They were only used by me to do this thing with Elvis--that's all. They were junkies at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    it really wasn't a truly serious attempt but why would Mr. Tyler tell me the following
    They hadn't thought it through. At all.

Okay, so they get Elvis' remains ... then what?

Clowns, the four of 'em.

I'd suggest that Tyler's comments to you are a case of bravado perfected over 30-plus years.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 843.jpg  

I know for a fact Elvis was re-buried in October of 77 with his mother at Graceland,....some person just got the facts wrong!
    I'm the King of the Jungle, They call me Tigerman

]

I know for a fact Elvis was re-buried in October of 77 with his mother at Graceland,....some person just got the facts wrong!

I don't think we're questioning when Elvis was relocated (I like using that term better than 'reburied') to Graceland.

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    They hadn't thought it through. At all.

Okay, so they get Elvis' remains ... then what?

Clowns, the four of 'em.

I'd suggest that Tyler's comments to you are a case of bravado perfected over 30-plus years.
    I think I'd agree.
    According to http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...to-steal-elvis
    ...The charges against the three men who allegedly tried to swipe Presley's body were dropped by the Memphis prosecutor when the chief witness and accuser (legalese for "rat"), one Ronnie Lee Adkins, demonstrated his unreliability by getting himself arrested for fraud. Adkins apparently had checked into Memphis's Doctor's Hospital posing as a policeman in order to claim that he was covered by the city's insurance plan.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I think I'd agree.
    According to http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...to-steal-elvis
    ...The charges against the three men who allegedly tried to swipe Presley's body were dropped by the Memphis prosecutor when the chief witness and accuser (legalese for "rat"), one Ronnie Lee Adkins, demonstrated his unreliability by getting himself arrested for fraud. Adkins apparently had checked into Memphis's Doctor's Hospital posing as a policeman in order to claim that he was covered by the city's insurance plan.
    I see that the author didn't quite have all of his facts straight either, he mentioned that Elvis' 2 uncles were to be buried in the Meditation Garden as well.

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    I see that the author didn't quite have all of his facts straight either, he mentioned that Elvis' 2 uncles were to be buried in the Meditation Garden as well.
    Perhaps the sites real name is "Smoking Straight Dope"
    A combination smoking gun/partial information/marijuana legalization site which provides a variety of partially correct facts.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Perhaps the sites real name is "Smoking Straight Dope"
    A combination smoking gun/partial information/marijuana legalization site which provides a variety of partially correct facts.