Thread: Intended For Elvis

Intended For Elvis

I'm looking for the titles of songs that were INTENDED FOR or COMPOSED FOR Elvis, but recorded by someone else or not recorded at all. Does anyone have info on this?

For example, I was told that "He Stopped Loving Her Today" was composed for and intended for Elvis to perform, but he passed away before having the chance to even hear it.

Remember, I'm not asking which songs you THINK he should have recorded, but which songs you KNOW were considered by Elvis or intended for Elvis to actually record.

Mainly looking for stuff from '68 to '77

Nathan Belt
    www.nathanbelt.com

Re: Intended For Elvis

Well it's out of the timeline you set but according to Johnny Cash, he wrote the song "Get Rhythm" for Elvis back in the mid-fifties. Why Elvis hadn't recorded it, I don't know.
    "If you're an Elvis fan, no explanation is necessary; If you're not an Elvis fan, no explanation is possible.
    (George Klein)

http://www.tcb-world.com/picture.php?albumid=466&pictureid=10766

Quote Originally Posted by Dino78 View Post
    Well it's out of the timeline you set but according to Johnny Cash, he wrote the song "Get Rhythm" for Elvis back in the mid-fifties. Why Elvis hadn't recorded it, I don't know.
    Anytime line is great to share. Thanks for that info! I had no idea Johnny wrote that for Elvis!

Nathan Belt
    www.nathanbelt.com

SleepyJack

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI3gKJw7RbA"]YouTube - ROY HAMILTON-ANGELICA[/ame]

Here`s one that Elvis was considering for recording at the `69 Memphis sessions but instead offered the song to one of his favourite singers Roy Hamilton.

Backstage Pass

Loretta Lynn said that one of the songs on the album she worked on with Jack White (Van Lear Rose) was written originally for Elvis - Have Mercy.

And I think Bruce Springsteen wrote Fire for Elvis, too.

In July 1977 Elvis Contact The French Singer Gilbert Becaud ( What Now My Love, Let It Be Me ) For Have The Permission To Record "Le Bain De Minuit"
    (Later Recording By Bing Crosby "Season" )
    Unfortunely Elvis Never Recorded This Beautiful Song Cause The Sad August 16th...

This Is The French Version By Becaud

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s__TmpS8h38"]YouTube - Le bain de minuit[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by nyc View Post
    Loretta Lynn said that one of the songs on the album she worked on with Jack White (Van Lear Rose) was written originally for Elvis - Have Mercy.

And I think Bruce Springsteen wrote Fire for Elvis, too.
    I found a video of Bruce performing "Fire"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7p1p66v8k8"]YouTube - Bruce Springsteen - Fire[/ame]

Nathan Belt
    www.nathanbelt.com

TCB Mafia

I've heard in the 50's Leiber and Stoller wrote ''A hog for you'' for Elvis he didn't record the song so they gave it to the Coasters.

Roy Orbison says he stopped by Elvis house to play ''Only the Lonely'' for him but was told he was asleep. Orbison ended up recording the song himself

Then in 1976 and 1977 there are a lot of people who say they were writing songs for Elvis but he died before he could record them

Jerry Scheff wrote a rocker for Elvis called ''There is a Fire down below''

At the aborted January 77 sessions Elvis was suppose to record a song called ''That's what you do to me'' which became a #8 country hit for Charly Mcclain.

Also at those same sessions he was rumored to record a song written by a then unknown Steve Earle called ''Mustang Wine'' that was recorded by Carl Perkins after Elvis didn't cut it and Larry Gaitlin song ''the Heart''

Ray Dorset of Mungo Jerry fame says he wrote the song ''I Feel like i'm in love'' for Elvis but he died before the song could be pitched to him
    The song was then recorded by British singer Kelly Marie in 1978.

Those are all the songs I can think of but there are probably more.
    Last edited by Brian; 03-19-2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: words

Hi Nathan
    Some time ago I found an article about Jody Reynolds, and in it is this:

Qoute:
    Presley's manager, Col. Tom Parker, signed Reynolds to his Boxcar Publishing Co., with an eye toward funneling some of his songs to Presley. But Presley died in 1977 before recording any of the songs Reynolds had written for him. Reynolds included one, "Yesterday and Today," on an album he released in 1978.

Link to the article in which there is a little bit more about Elvis

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituari...,3704687.story

I also found a little snippet of the song "Yesterday and Today" at allmusic site, and if you take a look at the composer......Elvis Presley is actually listed as the composer. (Maybe a little Parker trick)

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...3:wzfoxcqkldte

I`ve done a little research for anymore of Reynolds songs that was written for Elvis, as the article suggests that there should be more than one song, but havn`t found anything further.

I also put the question up on two different Elvis boards as I thought that it was interesing, but nobody seems to think the same....Or nobody knows anything about it....
    "Elvis music is how feelings sounds like"

TCB Mafia

A few more songs

songwriter Paul Evans says that he sent 2 songs to Elvis to record called ''Quiet Desperation'' and ''Tender moments''. He says Elvis had the demo's for both these songs when he passed away.

Singer Charlie Feathers says he wrote a gospel song for Elvis in 1977 called ''Look up''

Fire would have been a ripper. Songs by Steve Earle would have also been great for Elvis. So sad - so many opportunities missed

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Fire would have been a ripper. Songs by Steve Earle would have also been great for Elvis. So sad - so many opportunities missed
    I've heard the song by Steve Earle it's not great. Elvis didn't miss much with that one.

Well it's out of the timeline you set but according to Johnny Cash, he wrote the song "Get Rhythm" for Elvis back in the mid-fifties.
    What is the SOURCE for this claim?
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    What is the SOURCE for this claim?
    It's a book called "Story and Songs kompakt". I don't know if it's released in Australia, sorry. In there you have a short critic about each song he recorded sorted by the album it's on.
    In the critic of "Get Rhythm" it's written that Cash said this.
    "If you're an Elvis fan, no explanation is necessary; If you're not an Elvis fan, no explanation is possible.
    (George Klein)

It's a book called "Story and Songs kompakt". I don't know if it's released in Australia, sorry. In there you have a short critic about each song he recorded sorted by the album it's on.
    In the critic of "Get Rhythm" it's written that Cash said this.
    Does the book itself list a source for this quote?
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Does the book itself list a source for this quote?
    I can't answer you currently. I don't have it with me now. But I will take a look. If I find something I'll tell you.
    (George Klein)

I did a kind of research on the web and on http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/9-12-2003-45345.asp
    I found this: "While at Sun, Cash also wrote You're My Baby for Roy Orbison and Get Rhythm for Elvis Presley, though Cash described how, when Sam Phillips sold his interest in Presley to RCA, he wouldn't allow Elvis to take Get Rhythm with him, and put it on the B side of Cash's I Walk The Line instead. "The Elvis I knew was a kid full of fun," said Cash. "He loved his work, loved his music, loved his guitar, loved gospel music and loved his mother." " Also I found on the German site of a C&W club (http://www.countryhome.de/ch/hog/ber...ank__elvis.htm) that it was proclaimed publicly.
    If you want the exact day J.R. said it and to whom (with other words the smoking gun), sorry.
    (George Klein)

Very cool stuff, friends! Thanks for sharing!

Nathan Belt
    www.nathanbelt.com

THANK YOU FOR SHARING.