Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "I'll Remember You" From the 60's masters set what a great song.

International Level

Thumbs up "I'll Remember You" From the 60's masters set what a great song.

I have allways love this song by Elvis, even now on this 60s masters box set,
    complete studio version.

and i am also glade that he did this live in the 70's.

so when was the frist time he did this song live and when was the last time he did live.
    Curtis Simpkins

Long Live Vinyl. :worthy:

Backstage Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis simpkins
    I have allways love this song by Elvis, even now on this 60s masters box set,
    complete studio version.

and i am also glade that he did this live in the 70's.

so when was the frist time he did this song live and when was the last time he did live.
    I do agree with you Curtis, this FULL version is really beautiful.
    I still wonder why they did shorten the version that was released in the 60's.
    But I have more things I wonder about with RCA

Backstage Pass
    curtis, i agree 10000 percent with you . the full version is one of the most beautiful songs elvis ever recorded. the instumental break is very very pretty. it's nice that you enjoy the music so much curtis. you are like all of us are a true fan . rock on... simmerrocks
    Last edited by simmerrocks; 10-28-2004 at 02:51 AM.

International Level
    Thanks simmerrocks.
    Curtis Simpkins

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    A BEAUTIFUL SONG INDEED CURTIS!!! :worthy:

This is one of those songs, though in my opinion, that I thought Elvis did better live than in the studio. He just seemed to inject more passion into it, when he performed it live....just my opinion, though!! Although I certainly agree with you that the studio version is indeed very beautiful...one of the best ballads he ever recorded!

As for your question about when Elvis first started performing I'LL REMEMBER YOU, I believe it was when Elvis opened his Vegas engagement in January, 1972 (from the import CD OPENING NIGHT '72). As for when Elvis performed it for the last time, the latest performance I can find is from 5/3/76 in Lake Tahoe (from the import CD A CRAZY SHOW AT LAKE TAHOE). I don't know of any performances of this song from later than 5/3/76.

Hope this helps you out Curtis! (h)
    TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

i agree with all of you guys...'I'll remember you' from the 60s master is a masterpiece.....but i also enjoy the live version of it, especially the one from Aloha From Hawaii it was touching since elvis dedicated to the man (Kuiokalani Lee) who wrote the song ... does anybody ever heard the original version of 'I'll remember you' ? ..

No buttonhead, I've never heard the original version...but it certainly would be interesting to hear it, to see how close/different Elvis' version is!

TCB!
    Mike

International Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76

This is one of those songs, though in my opinion, that I thought Elvis did better live than in the studio. He just seemed to inject more passion into it, when he performed it live....just my opinion, though!! Although I certainly agree with you that the studio version is indeed very beautiful...one of the best ballads he ever recorded!

As for your question about when Elvis first started performing I'LL REMEMBER YOU, I believe it was when Elvis opened his Vegas engagement in January, 1972 (from the import CD OPENING NIGHT '72). As for when Elvis performed it for the last time, the latest performance I can find is from 5/3/76 in Lake Tahoe (from the import CD A CRAZY SHOW AT LAKE TAHOE). I don't know of any performances of this song from later than 5/3/76.

TCB!
    Mike
    Thanks mike
    it did.
    Curtis Simpkins

COOL!!! (h)

You are VERY welcome Curtis!! My pleasure....anytime I can help you out, just let me know!!!

TCB!
    Mike

Beautiful song. No doubt. Great lyrics, great melody and sung especially well. Very haunting.

You can find the original version and even listen to a sample of it here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846

TCB Mafia
    i love this song very much! absolutely beautiful

International Level
    if bmg/sony re-release this song has a single in the uk would you think
    it go to #1.

let's hope so.

and this well be a great cd tittle for there Complation cds.
    Curtis Simpkins

Coming On Strong
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76

TCB!
    Mike

Mike,

I'll Remember You was also performed at the May 4th 1976 DS and the last live performance was during the May 7th 1976 MS.

May 7th 1976 MS

Gorgeous song.

Unlike some of Elvis' other love ballads, this is not the least bit sugary or cliched. In fact, it's very haunting. On the strength of this song, Kui Lee knew his stuff. Elvis' wisdom in selecting it should also not be overlooked.

Coming On Strong
    Agree with you all, it's a great song. I do prefer the Aloha versions though. When he comes in after the slight break in tempo with 'I will reeee-member you' it's wonderful emotive singing.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. While it is beautifully sung from start to finish in Aloha, that part is a little too histrionic for me. That's not to say I don't enjoy it very much (because I do) - but the more restrained vocal of the studio cut, in my opinion, better serves the texture of the song.

Coming On Strong
    Maybe it has something to do with me knowing the Aloha version for about 15 years before I heard the studio cut.

Yeh the live Aloha version is much better. It is sung with genuine feeling considering his personal life at the time. I also prefer the orchestra in the live version than the acoustic guitar in the studio version.

I do like how Elvis sings it straight without fooling around. This is true of the other songs that seemed to express his feelings at the time ("It's Over", "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" and "What Now My Love").

Backstage Pass
    I think the studio version is much more haunting....I love it! A very chilling song and I agree with you guys....I'll never understand why they edited it in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast